how to mount a gps on a buddy 125?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kmrcstintn

how to mount a gps on a buddy 125?

Post by kmrcstintn »

want to use my Garmin Nuvi 1300 while riding my Buddy 125, but not finding GPS mounts for my scooter; how to mount a GPS on a Buddy? thanks
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

I've used a suction cup mount on the mirror. (A bit precarious!). Then I got a RAM ball mount that fits under the mirror stem. Got mine at GPS City in Las Vegas.
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

This old post of mine has photos of the mounting ball that attaches to your mirror stem, and the adjustable arm that goes between the ball and the GPS holder. You'll need to add the specific holder for your GPS, either on Ram's site or resellers like Amazon.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I have a case that I managed to attach to the mirror/windshield. Amazon sells them. It is not totally device specific but for larger units and concave older units you may want larger size case. Some even come with compartment for batteire to charge the unit. I looked for the one that works with Tom-Tom XL-S One (larger GPS unit) though I often use a waterproof old Magellan'
Attachments
51jhnE6ImvL.jpg
51jhnE6ImvL.jpg (36.05 KiB) Viewed 800 times
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

irishtim wrote:Then I got a RAM ball mount that fits under the mirror stem. Got mine at GPS City in Las Vegas.
+1

A RAM Mount brand mirror stem mount, ball joint piece, arm, and cradle specific for your GPS can be ordered a-la-cart from the RAM website for about $45, last I checked. It's not inexpensive, but RAM Mounts are extremely durable, sturdy, and motorcycle rated, so you will never have to worry about your GPS in it (unless it rains). My RAM Mount survived the crash I was in (gps was not in it) and is still in perfectly usable condition.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Do you have a windshield?

Not pictured here is the "arm" that would clamp vertically on the RAM ball, or the cradle for my Garmin that would clamp into the upper part of the arm, but at least you can get an idea of where the RAM mount would attach.

I ask if you have a windshield, as the piece the RAM mount is bolted to in my picture comes with the kit you get when you buy/install your Cuppini windshield.
Attachments
GPS mounting.jpg
GPS mounting.jpg (100.22 KiB) Viewed 771 times
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

I don't have a windshield yet...it's on order & it will be installed for a good while before I can get the GPS mount...looks like the RAM ball is the way to go!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yep, the RAM mirror stem mount ball - either the flat one as in Michelle's pictures, or the angled one in my snapshots, will work with either a stock mirror stem or under the windshield bolt if you add a 'shield later.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!