Oil Filter & Spark Plug recommendations for Buddy 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Graeck

Oil Filter & Spark Plug recommendations for Buddy 125

Post by Graeck »

My local dealer closed last year and it's time for an oil change (and plug check). I'm going to have to do it myself but need to buy the oil filter.

(The search function on these forums wasn't too helpful).

What brands/model#s of oil filter fit a Buddy 125?

What spark plug brand/model#s fit a Buddy 125?

And related ... I did find some discussions of what oils to use, apart from buying the high end synthetic Motul oil, are there any recommendations? Does it need to specifically say it's 4-stroke oil?

For the oil filter, I did see one post mention HiFlo Oil Filter HF183. However the couple sites I found those for sale on did not mention the Buddy125 as a "compatible" scooter. I also saw a site advertise a Malossi Red Chili filter (M0313382) as being fora Buddy125 but it was a performance part and close to $20. I just need an OEM type part - unless someone can convince me otherwise. ;)

For the spark plugs, I found one mentioned; NGK CR7HSA. Are there any others recommended? How about an iridium plug?

Thanks in advance!
tortoise

Re: Oil Filter & Spark Plug recommendations for Buddy 12

Post by tortoise »

Graeck wrote:I did find some discussions of what oils to use, apart from buying the high end synthetic Motul oil, are there any recommendations?
Delo 400LE . . Walmart

Try Google advanced search . . example.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

HiFlo Filtro HF183 oil filter, NGK CR7HSA spark plug, Amsoil synthetic 10w-40 scooter oil (switching at next oil change) -- owners manual states 15w-40 oil & service manual states 15w-40 or quality motorcycle oil; right now I'm running Castrol SynBlend 10w-40 car oil for 500 miles as a transition between 15w-40 oil that was in there and the Amsoil synthetic 10w-40 scooter oil I'm switching to...
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Amen. That's the nice filter with the hex bolt on the top, rather than that miserable slotted dog's-breakfast piece of engineering that requires a special socket for your torque wrench.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

PeteH wrote:Amen. That's the nice filter with the hex bolt on the top, rather than that miserable slotted dog's-breakfast piece of engineering that requires a special socket for your torque wrench.
Church.

Shipping's a bitch though, so order several at once. I have tried to get these through my local dealer for 2 reasons; to support them and to save on shipping. But they have only been able to get the slotted head type in for a very long time so I usually order 3 or more at a time to bundle shipping. Shipping is the same price at Scooterworks for 3 as it is for 1 of these.

Now, I just found that a search on Amazon yields this same filter through Scooterworks with cheaper shipping on Amazon!

WTF Scooterworks??!!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
bluegrass

Hiflo filter ?

Post by bluegrass »

Why does the Hiflo site call for a HF197 oil filter for the Buddy. The HF183 is listed for the Piaggio line of Scoots. :?:
http://www.hiflofiltro.com/catalogue Jus plug in your make an model.
The only thing required for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I don't like hiflo's at all. Totally illogical tightening fastener. Once I got one that had 2 gaskets on it. I checked the scoot to make sure the old one came off but I've never checked a filter for 2. It spit the gasket 2 weeks later and sprayed the rear tire with oil.
bluegrass

Hiflo

Post by bluegrass »

The HF183 has the need for a monster flat screwdriver to tighten or take off. The HF197 has the hex end so you use a socket or wrench. I just looked and both these filters have the single flat gasket. If yours had a double (manufacture error), you should have used only one. AND always put some oil on the surface of the gasket so it doesn't bind and cause a leak. I've been using this type for over 20 yrs an never had a leak.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Shell Rotella T triple protection 15w40

I buy it by the gallon for about $13. Been using it for the last 17,500 miles. Oil change every 1,000 to 1,600 miles, filter every 2nd or 3rd oil change.

http://www.shell.com/rotella/products/tpl-pro.html
lovemysan

Re: Hiflo

Post by lovemysan »

bluegrass wrote:The HF183 has the need for a monster flat screwdriver to tighten or take off. The HF197 has the hex end so you use a socket or wrench. I just looked and both these filters have the single flat gasket. If yours had a double (manufacture error), you should have used only one. AND always put some oil on the surface of the gasket so it doesn't bind and cause a leak. I've been using this type for over 20 yrs an never had a leak.
I've been changing my oil for 18 years. No mistakes until this one. This was 2 gaskets sandwiched together. When I removed the filter they were still fused together. IE it looked like one gasket. I've never seen anything like this. I always fill my filter with oil and lube the gasket before install.
bluegrass

filter install

Post by bluegrass »

Good thing to fill the filter fist but how do ya install a horizontal filter without pouring half the oil out ?