Blur 200i engine blown. No hope for parts?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dookiegang

Blur 200i engine blown. No hope for parts?

Post by dookiegang »

On my way to work today, my engine blew. Just lost all compression. I'm at 4700 miles. I haven't even looked at it so I don't know exactly what happened, yet.

I assume there's no hope of me rebuilding it by myself considering there's no where to buy parts. I just don't have the cash to pay the dealer to do it. If they even can, considering ScooterWorks is out of stock on everything. I assume that means Genuine doesn't have the parts either. Unless they just don't intend to sell to the public.

What are my options other than paying over half of what I owe on the thing for a rebuild. This was my only means of getting to work.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

You could check around for a salvage engine from a wrecked bike (or a whole totaled bike with intact engine). Usually doing an engine swap yourself will be quite a bit cheaper than a rebuild by a shop. You also might look into retail parts suppliers in Taiwan. I know little about this personally, but several other MB members have ordered performance parts for the Buddy engine from sources there.
relenger

Post by relenger »

Wow. Does it still crank over?

When you figure out what happen let us know.
whatnow

Post by whatnow »

Dooglas wrote:You could check around for a salvage engine from a wrecked bike (or a whole totaled bike with intact engine). Usually doing an engine swap yourself will be quite a bit cheaper than a rebuild by a shop. You also might look into retail parts suppliers in Taiwan. I know little about this personally, but several other MB members have ordered performance parts for the Buddy engine from sources there.

If you have been good about checking and changing the oil, I'm willing to bet it's the engine valves, especially if you have never had them adjusted.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

On my way to work today, my engine blew. Just lost all compression. I'm at 4700 miles. I haven't even looked at it so I don't know exactly what happened, yet.

I assume there's no hope of me rebuilding it by myself considering there's no where to buy parts. I just don't have the cash to pay the dealer to do it. If they even can, considering ScooterWorks is out of stock on everything. I assume that means Genuine doesn't have the parts either. Unless they just don't intend to sell to the public.

What are my options other than paying over half of what I owe on the thing for a rebuild. This was my only means of getting to work.
Wow- have you checked with Genuine directly? That seems ridiculous to have a dead motor at 4700 miles. Maybe they would work with you. I assume you are a second owner and the 2yr warranty doesn't apply? I would check with Twist n Scoot(where I bought my Blur last summer) and see what they have to say. Ask for Wayne at the Decatur store.
Last edited by chickdr on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Any Genuine dealer can order any part for the Blur. Even if you have to call one on the phone and deal with shipping, it would be cheaper than buying a whole new engine. Are you friendly with your local Genuine Dealer?
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

How bout you just buy my entire Blur. I'm selling it for not much more than an engine rebuild would probably cost ya. Check out the classifieds. :wink:
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

If a new Blur is 4 grand, how much would a new engine cost?
relenger

Post by relenger »

How did you kill this engine? I run it at 9K @ 82mph every day while I drive to school. I even hit rev limiter at 9500 all the time.
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

relenger wrote:How did you kill this engine? I run it at 9K @ 82mph every day while I drive to school. I even hit rev limiter at 9500 all the time.
:clap:
DemRemz

Post by DemRemz »

I would pop all the plastic off. Take the valve cover off and check the valves. You will need to take the flywheel shroud off to get it at TDC, but if you can lift them then you're golden. Valve Adjustment = Free to do if you have feeler gauges or $1-200 for a service shop to do it....or spend a lot of money on another Blur. There are a lot of How-To's on the internet.
docjones

Post by docjones »

Did you ever find out what happened to your motor? I think everyone here is very interested.
docjones

Post by docjones »

Did you ever find out what happened to your motor? I think everyone here is very interested.
dookiegang

Post by dookiegang »

Hey everybody. Sorry I posted this and failed to update. We've had a few major life events since I posted this. Moved twice, bought a house, changed jobs, twins on the way. Haven't had a real internet connection until this week.

So, the blur has been in storage. I haven't even taken the covers off to look at it yet. I am still under warranty so I don't want to do too much work on it myself so I don't void the warranty. I plan to get it up to the dealer in a week or two. I hope.

As for how it happened: I was running down the interstate at about 70, indicated. Keeping the the RPMs a tad under redline. I do go over redline quite often but that's usually on a downhill stretch of interstate. So, I was just riding along and the engine lost a little power. I thought the air tube had blown out again and it was no big deal. About a minute later, I lost all power. Coasted to a stop, tried to start it up again, and found I had no compression at all. I wouldn't say I abuse it but I've had it long enough that I'm running it as fast as it'll go all the time.

I took it in for service for the first two oil changes. I changed the oil myself after that but haven't had any other service done. I live about an hour+ away from the dealer and I kept thinking I did something wrong and it wouldn't be covered. I guess we'll find out.

I'll let you guys know.
docjones

Post by docjones »

Man that is horrible. I guess we all can't wait to hear what happened and if Genuine does the right thing and cover it under warranty. I don't think you should tell your dealer or even us for that matter that you ever went over redline. They (Genuine) may use that as an excuse not to cover it. Please keep us posted.