Insurance with no plate/registration?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

YammyRider

Insurance with no plate/registration?

Post by YammyRider »

Hi all,
I'm new here. I searched the forums here but didn't see an answer to this specific issue.

I have a 50cc scooter -- not a Buddy, sorry, but there may be one in my future -- that doesn't need plates and such in Massachusetts. I got the moped sticker without issue, as the scooter (Yamaha Vino Classic) is on the state's approved moped list.

My issue is that I'm having a hard time getting anyone to sell me insurance. I only want liability, not insurance for the scooter itself, but the agents I've spoken won't insure it without a plate. My other personal liability insurance covers me when I'm on my bicycles, but won't cover me on the moped. I'm not riding the scooter at all since I learned I'm not covered.

Is this a common issue? Are the 50cc "moped" stickered scooters uninsurable, or am I just talking to the wrong agents?

Thanks!
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

I am in Washington state and insurance is not required for a 50cc scooter. Still, seems like a good idea, so I insured them anyway. We have two 50cc scooters insured; a Genuine Roughhouse and a Vespa LX50.

I insured with Progressive. They seem easy to deal with and they "get it" when it comes to motorcycles and such. A single scooter might be $50 per year. You might contact them and see if they could help. I signed up on line, never had to call.

Also, in Washington a 50cc scooter has a license plate like a normal motorcycle. But no endorsement is required. Not sure if this makes a difference in insurability.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
YammyRider

Post by YammyRider »

Thanks for the reply OldGuy. Having a plate seems to be the issue with my agent, and Progressive's web application seems to imply that a plate is needed. It says "If you do not have license plates, you will need an RMV -1 form to obtain them. Please call Progressive immediately for help with this form."

BUT...

I called Progressive, and the guy said I can just skip the plate business and get the insurance anyway. I'll confirm that and post what I find here.
kooky scientist

Post by kooky scientist »

In Massachusetts, get it derestricted. Now that it can go 40 mph, theoretically you can get an LU (Limited Utility) plate. With an LU plate you can then get insurance via Progressive. I have 2 scooters, one with a sticker and one with an LU plate.
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

I used GEICO in Las Vegas with my Rattler 50 without plate. No problems.
YammyRider

Solved. Talked to the right agent

Post by YammyRider »

Hi again all, and thanks for the input. Since my last post...

I decided I wanted to deal with an actual agent, and not Progressive's web app, if possible. I specifically wanted it officially known by Progressive, through their own agent, what type of vehicle they were insuring, and that it wouldn't ever have a plate. The agent would use and see the actual Massachusetts "Moped - Motorized Bicycle" registration paperwork from our DMV. Call me paranoid, but I like to have things like insurance nailed down!

I finally found a Progressive agent who said insuring my Vino was no problem. BUT, he also (mis) informed me that it would be illegal to ride the scooter after sunset or before dawn. He was confusing the Massachusetts designation of "Scooter", which is used for mini-motorcycles, motorized skateboards and the like, and which can't be ridden after dark, with the designation "Moped - Motorized Bicycle", which is actually what my Vino Classis is. He probably assumed "Moped - Motorized Bicycle" meant it had to have pedals.

In his defense, he was trying to help me make an informed choice, and the regulations and vehicle classes are confusing. But he is wrong, as Massachusetts has a set of criteria for "Mopeds" AND a specific list of "Mopeds" that the Vino is on, and "Mopeds" are legal to ride after dark. If I hadn't already done my research I might have sold my little Vino already!

The reason I'm posting all of the above is that there is widespread confusion and ignorance about our motor scooters among insurance people, at least here in Massachusetts. It was surprisingly hard to get this done, and I was really starting to believe that there was no way to insure a Moped-stickered vehicle here! I want to help the next person in my situation know what's up. It's good to have insurance! And it's good to have a "Moped" class scooter in Massachusetts if it fits your needs -- easier parking plus ability to use the bike lanes to ease up to traffic lights (though I choose to do that only at the lights with multi-light-cycle delays).

End result, I went to the same agency (Bonacorso in Burlington) because I wanted to give the aforementioned agent some printed info from our DMV so he wouldn't misinform others, but ended up dealing with another person there, and got insurance for my Vino -- $250,000/$500,000, everything at the max amount they offer -- for about $100 per year.

So my take on it is that you just have to know the state regs, and then find a Progressive agent who's written Moped policies before.

-- Kooky Scientist: Thanks for the input. That's exactly what I was going to do, but I really didn't think I should need to, and didn't want to lose the legal ability to easy up along the right side of traffic to the lights.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I'll preface this by saying that in VA, you are either riding a moped or a motorcycle, and 90% of the time the difference is simply displacement. However, when I got my LX50, I was told by my Allstate agent that they would absolutely insure it for me, that they really only needed the VIN number. Never went through with it though.
kooky scientist

@ Yammyrider

Thanks for the info. That is good to know since Mayor Meninno in Boston has actually declared war on scooter riders who actually WANT to follow the law, get LU plates but want to park securely in Boston.

Menino is obviously working WITH scooter theft gangs and organized crime to harrass and target drivers who take up less space and cause less congestion on city streets that have LU plates. Freaking meatball, guido, mumble mouthed greaseball. A disgrace to all of us Italian-Americans... :P
kooky scientist

PS: Most cities and towns consider LU plated scooters exempt... except for, surprise, surprise... BOSTON !!!

http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/consumer/arch ... w-the.html

"In most instances plated vehicles cannot be parked on sidewalks. However, municipalities have the authority to set local parking regulations and many communities are considering exempting limited use vehicles from that restriction."
TomCat

Post by TomCat »

End result, I went to the same agency (Bonacorso in Burlington) because I wanted to give the aforementioned agent some printed info from our DMV so he wouldn't misinform others, but ended up dealing with another person there, and got insurance for my Vino -- $250,000/$500,000, everything at the max amount they offer -- for about $100 per year.
Be thankful you don't live in Michigan, the ONLY state in the union with UNLIMITED no-fault medical. Which results in an extra $180 per year, per vehicle, added to your insurance.
Through Progressive, my basic liability insurance is $261 per year for the scoot, of which $180 is the Michigan "add-on".
I'll be cancelling the scoot insurance for the winter, Nov thru March, to save some $.
Other ride--- Lifted '08 Suzuki SX4 AWD

"Quotes on the Internet cannot always be considered as factual" ------- Abraham Lincoln
kooky scientist

LoL !!! OK, I am thankful I don't live in Michigan, even though I've performed there as a techno musician more than any other place in the world and have many friends and fans in the Detroit area. :D
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Because of the 'high' rate of theft/vandalism, and the fact that I have no garage, I chose to do comprehensive coverage on mine. The difference for 3 bikes is $25/year, which is peace of mind aplenty.

Came in handy when a friend lost his buddy to theft. he paid $1300 for it, they paid him $1900 and then $300 for the helmet stored in it.

YMMV according to your laws.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

with insurance, also you might want to consider "towing" options. I priced out towing with GEICO vs AAA. My friend uses AAA Mid Atlantic, and pays about $100 a year for roadside assistance / towing for motorcycles. It covers towing up to 100 miles. I added towing to my GEICO policy for just $9 a year for each bike, so less than $20 for a much needed peace of mind. That tows up to 75 miles for a breakdown, flat tire, or out of gas. And I'm covered in Canada too.