Stolen black Buddy 50cc from Downtown Boston - FOUND!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lpagebuddy

Stolen black Buddy 50cc from Downtown Boston - FOUND!

Post by lpagebuddy »

My black Buddy was stolen from South Street in Boston today between 9:00am and 10:30am. It has a large black SHAD case on the back with around 4,500 miles on it.

vin #RFVPAP5A7C1008669[/list][/code]
Last edited by lpagebuddy on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

Ahh, crap. I work on South St too, but I park mine on the other side of my building on Atlantic, chained to a tree.

Were you chained up to anything?

It takes balls to steal something in the middle of the day like that on a busy street.
lpagebuddy

Found!

Post by lpagebuddy »

Just got a call from Boston Police informing me that they stopped a man walking the scooter who couldn't provide any proof that it was his. Turns out filing that police report wasn't a total waste of time.

I didn't lock it up at my work before but certainly will now. I had been parking it next to my office right next to two other scooters.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

phew! any damage?
ed85379

Re: Found!

Post by ed85379 »

lpagebuddy wrote:Just got a call from Boston Police informing me that they stopped a man walking the scooter who couldn't provide any proof that it was his. Turns out filing that police report wasn't a total waste of time.

I didn't lock it up at my work before but certainly will now. I had been parking it next to my office right next to two other scooters.
Awesome! Did they arrest the douche-bag?
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Fantastic! Way to go Boston PD!

That's kind of close to the new place I'll be working at too, I'll make sure to lock up. :shock:
lpagebuddy

Post by lpagebuddy »

They did arrest the guy and will be charging him with the theft. I'm picking it up later today so I'll know the full extent of the damage but from the phone call I just had with police it seems the only thing that was harmed was the lock on the back carrier. I'm guessing the guy who stole it was really disappointed to only find a wet towel in the case.

I have to pay the tow fee before retrieving the scooter but can request to have the thief cover that charge since you know, it was his fault it had to be towed. I'll let you guys know how the scooter is once I pick him up.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Was your steering column locked? If so, and the thief busted it to be able to roll in a straight line, you may be looking at a new ignition switch assembly. :(
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
lpagebuddy

Post by lpagebuddy »

The steering column was locked and he messed with the ignition switch but I was able to drive it over to my scooter shop to have them check it out and it looks like it's fine.
kooky scientist

Post by kooky scientist »

Lucky you! I wonder why you didn't get a ticket for parking on the sidewalk. Oh yeah, in Boston they apparently only like to give scooters parked on sidewalks with LU plates on them.

Congrats on the recovery.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

kooky scientist wrote:Lucky you! I wonder why you didn't get a ticket for parking on the sidewalk. Oh yeah, in Boston they apparently only like to give scooters parked on sidewalks with LU plates on them.

Congrats on the recovery.
It wasn't parked on a sidewalk when they found it being wheeled away. And as I mentioned in another post, the handheld computers the "meter maids" use don't have access to the sticker numbers. They can only ticket things with an actual plate. It stinks, but that's why I go through the trouble of putting a cover on my scooter every day at work, which requires me to remove my top-case and lug it up to my office.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

lpagebuddy wrote:I have to pay the tow fee before retrieving the scooter but can request to have the thief cover that charge since you know, it was his fault it had to be towed. I'll let you guys know how the scooter is once I pick him up.
That's crazy that you have to pay to get your stolen property back!

Good luck collecting that money back from the thief. I am sure he will be "indigent" and have a court-appointed defense and all fees waved.