ROYAL PURPLE

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SCOOTER SOLDIER

ROYAL PURPLE

Post by SCOOTER SOLDIER »

Well I just changed the Oil and filter today and switched from AMSOIL scooter OIL to ROYAL PURPLE...........

On my 16 mile one way commute I would average a little over 200F temp on the long wide open stretches. I would say about 215F, I will update and see how what the temps are with ROYAL PURPLE vs AMSOIL...........and then when I am done with that test I will test MOBIL1.

Someone asked earlier about where I got my oil temp dipstick...........

Here is the info...........

XR's Only

Oil Temp Dispstick
CRF450
$39.95

I have bought like 3 of these so I believe the above information is the correct one for the buddy 125, it is made for a Honda Dirt Bike, impact and weather resistant.

Make sure you are getting the one with the 3" probe, measured from the bottom of the threaded part to the end of the probe, the dipstick the buddy comes with is slightly under 3" but there is plenty of room.

The only draw back to the oil temp dipstick is there are no marking showing low or high oil level but this is easily fixed, just lay the stock dipstick next to your new oil temp dipstick and scratch in the oil level marks being careful not to damage the probe.

This oil temp disptick fits perfectly, the threads and gasket are the exact same, and I also found out that these dipsticks also fit many other scooter s like kymco etc......seems the oil dipstick housing are being manufactured in the same location or everyone is using the same thread pattern and size, the only difference seems to be the probe size.

I just popped into a Honda dealer and went to the dirt bike section with my stock oil dipstick in hand and tested it out and that is how I found these, I then Googled Oil temp dipsticks and found that Xr's Only makes these.
Last edited by SCOOTER SOLDIER on Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
rajron

Post by rajron »

That’s a pretty cool little gadget – winter around the corner it’s no big deal but sometimes in the middle of summer I was wondering if I was getting too hot in the little motor.
I’m running synthetic oil so most likely its all OK but I am curious what temps I am running.
The gauge is inexpensive I think I get one.
Thanx for the info.
SCOOTER SOLDIER

Post by SCOOTER SOLDIER »

Yes I like it because I can just peek down while at a light and see how hot she is getting, in addition I am testing the different motor oils and seeing which one is keeping my scooter running the coolest, in addition to monitoring fuel mileage I will find out on my own which oil is best for my buddy, I want to maximize the engine life on this little scooter and I don't want any surprises down the road.

THe maximum temp I have run was on a day when the temps were up in the 90's and I approached about 240F on my commute and that was with the amsoil scooter oil, it is colder now but I am still reaching those temps of about 190 to 200F on my wide open commutes to and from work, we will see how the royal purple stacks up against the amsoil.

I have had the oil temp dipstick for about 4 months now I think and no issues with it at all, the reason I have 3 of them as it was a hit and miss on the probe length or I should have specified when I ordered to make sure so anyone that orders one do make sure you are getting the one with 3" probe.

They come in like two colors as well, silver and Red, they might have a blue one as well.
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

From your previous discussions I was interested in your temperature oil dipstick and asked where you got it. Thank your for posting the information about this temperature oil dipstick and your impressions of it.

Wayne
SCOOTERSOLDIER

Post by SCOOTERSOLDIER »

Well I have not posted for awhile and just got logged back on today, thank you eric, I ran the Royal Purple Oil and it is just personal preference at this point, I am sticking with the Amsoil for now. will test the mobile 1 next and then I will be done with my little experiment!

Have fun everyone!