In Praise of You Guys

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

In Praise of You Guys

Post by ericalm »

So, most of my forum time over the past 9 years or so (holy monkey!) has been spent on MB and over on ModernVespa. Occasionally I lurk a thread on ADVRider and I had a brief flirtation with the Volvo C30 forums when I owned one.

When shopping for the Helix, and since getting one, I've been cruising the Helix and Honda forums. They're not super-active, which isn't surprising. What has surprised me is that considering these models were relatively unchanged for almost 20 years (predating the public Internet as we know it, even!), there isn't the wealth of tech info and knowledge — in particular tutorials — that we've seen for newer models. There's a huge reliance on the same tutorials and info that were done many years ago, with no updates, etc.

Is this because newer scooters appeal to younger or more tech (Net) savvy riders? Mmmaybe.

Posting activity has slowed both here and on ModernVespa over the past year. There are a lot of theories for why and many probable factors. One is that we have most of the answers to common questions about these scooters, which all bear engines/platforms that have become pretty familiar to us. Even the new Hooligan will probably be the same PGO 170i in the Buddy. The Stella Auto 125 will be new ground to explore, though!

But what I've also found is a huge amount of questionable and bad technical advice that goes unchallenged. It's a bit scary. Here, at least, it'll be questioned or countered, and usually as politely as possible.

So I've once again found myself very grateful for the MB/Genuine owner community. Thanks to all for your contributions and participation!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I give credit to this forum for making me go from "interested" in scooters to be an owner. Even though I ended up purchasing a Kymco rather than a Genuine, the wealth of knowledge on MB trumps the Kymco forum, i've never received much good advice there and I can count their active users on one hand. MB is hands down the friendliest, most helpful site when it comes to my relevant scootering interests. Thanks Eric.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I've bounced around quite a few forums, and I will agree...this one, stella speed, and Focus fanatics (cars) seem to be the only ones I continue to frequent. It amazes me how rude and full of idiot some of the other forums are.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Interesting observations in the above posts. I came to a similar conclusion as I researched scooters prior to buying my Roughhouse. As an engineer, I am inclined to study things that interest me, sometimes nearly to death. I will get any information I can so I make a good choice.

This forum was a major positive factor in deciding to go with Genuine. Eric, for one, deserves a lot of credit for that. But so do many, many others here. Other forums, both in content and attitude, just don't compare. I am still very happy with my choice of Genuine, and the extended family that goes with it.

The 2014 Piaggio Fly 150 is very appealing... But would buying it to replace the Roughhouse mean leaving this forum? This is something I've thought about. So, a new 170 Hooligan sounds like just the thing to move up to and keep me here. Can't wait to see one.

Keep sharing and learning!
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I agree that this is the best scooter forum out there. I check in on a couple of others that are good but for information and lack of Trolls MB can not be beat. Thanks Eric for all that you do to keep the forum on track. :D
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

This forum certainly helped me decide to purchase my Stella 4T. I wanted a scooter for the past 30 years, and thanks to this forum I was able to gather info about 2 vs 4 stroke, Vespa PX vs Stella, about doing my own maintenance work, adding accessories, even Sea Foam! Through this forum I met other local scooterists who steered me to the correct dealer, and away from poor ones. It also allows me to share my scooter projects with others of like mind, and they in turn can offer suggestions, corrections and encouragement.

Thanks to everyone!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I love the MB and MV forums.

I've been on Zuma, Helix, Aprillia, Kymco, as well as other forums, and as you said it's just not the same.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

This is the forum that got me started on scooters. Many, many thanks, Eric.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

This is me clicking the imaginary LIKE button.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Syd

Post by Syd »

Lower posting counts at the sister stations are exactly the reason Piaggio needs to bring the GTS350, and Genuine needs the Cruiser.

Yeah, lower posting levels, that's it. :)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
BuddyBliss

Post by BuddyBliss »

This is one of the most entertaining forums to read, it's just interesting. It's welcoming to noobs with questions, and let's face it, many forums are not. Quality posts by experienced scooterists, make this the first place to look for answers to issues.

Eric you've done a great job here. Respect.
Suzy
Cheeky Seats
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

this forum more then others helped me understand riding and what it is all about for me. it also enlightened me to the scooter, and its fun and function as a bike. but mostly it put me among knowledgeable riders and enthusiast who all share info and stories about something we are love to do

ride scooters :helmet:

lucky to have a Buddy forum if you really think about it. so "praise" must go back to Admin and staff, too. like many of the members here those guys are not just Genuine fanboys, they know scooters and like them all. ride them all, too. somehow a Buddy and Stella fit into all that, and so the board gains from all their interest. people who ride Genuine also ride Vespa, Honda, Kymco...need i go on? so its a big Buddy board but also a lot more if you look around

the community is civil for the most part, trolling is low, flaming non existent. all that bs is not present even a little. its just a nice place to read and post about scooters
Riding is riding
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I have noticed fewer posts on the other scooter forums too. ADVrider.com seems to be the exception. Their members seem to take a photo and post it every time they swing a leg over. Seems that site is more about photos than repairs, maintenance and upgrades.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
cyclewhitman

Post by cyclewhitman »

I've never joined a forum before this one. It's the only one I'm on every day to read what others are posting. I've gained so much valuable information from the people on this forum and appreciate the help and camaraderie I've experienced.

Thanks, Eric, for all you do to make this a safe place for new folks like me. And thanks to those of you who have been here a while for offering your ideas and help so generously.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Similar to what's already been said ..... When I decided to get a scoot, I didn't know much about them, CVT's and a litany of other things unique to these rides.

MB made the purchasing decision much easier as well as filling in many of my scooter technical gaps over the past 5 years.

The diverse cast of characters frequenting this forum over the years has been mostly interesting as well.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Eric -

The success of this forum, and the community which has developed around it, is in no small part due to *your* effort in the way in which you set up the rules and how you enforce them, making this a pleasant and maintained place to visit, one of high quality of both information and discussion. As a fellow Admin of several forums, I know good leadership when I see it - you deserve some kudos. :)

That said, a good Forum becomes that also due to the quality of the discussion therein, and the members here are generally and "genuinely" (forgive the pun ;) ) knowledgeable, polite, and enthusiastic about the subject matter. Couldn't ask for a better group of people to be the community which exists here.

This is a great place, I'm glad I found it and have definitely benefited from becoming a part of it. Y'all should give yourselves a hand. :)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

great forum and great people! I've been fortunate to have met several members in person, and I'm sure I'd recognize many by just their screen name and icon for the first time. It's been a wealth of knowledge in both the threads and technical guides. Thank you to all the admin's work in keeping this forum going. As for me, my posts have dwindled because it was becoming a major distraction for me at work. Now I try to get on once a week and browse through a few threads that catch my attention.
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

I love this forum. I'm here and on MV as well. I have to say... When I'm out and about on my scooters, the Buddy people are friendlier than the Vespa people. I've yet to get a wave or not from a fellow Vespa person around here. However, I always get a wave from the Genuine peeps... And the Honda peeps too. And Buddy riders are always smiling.
96 Decibel Freaks
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

When I made my impulse buy of said Genuine Roughhouse, Pat, the guy that sold me the scooter, suggested I should visit this site. Best bit of advice I have ever gotten.
And as already posted, Thank you Eric.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Wow, thanks, all! I wasn't fishing for props here — quite the opposite! :D
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Eric you really do help the community. I very much enjoyed the reviews! (scooterfile is on my permanent scooter reading list!)