Gas leaking

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dsmith65

Gas leaking

Post by dsmith65 »

I've been smelling gas for some time, and had crappy millage and figured it was just venting through the cap. But today after it being in the garage for 5 days un-ridden, I found gas on the wheel on the left hand side and on the floor. I traced where I think it is coming from and it is the hole out the vent of what I believe is the air box. In the attached picture it is the piece that comes down right above the bright spot caused by the flash. And you can see some of the gas reflected on the rim.

A couple weeks ago after sitting for a few days, I had a rough time getting it running smoothly after I started, and it took a couple trips around the block before it stopped bogging down. I figured something was clogged due to bad gas, so for the last 2 fill ups I've added Seafoam, and that issue hasn't reoccurred.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this, and best ways to diagnose. I don't have a dealer close by that I can just run to and drop it off to be worked on.

Thanks

Don
Attachments
photo1.JPG
photo1.JPG (87.44 KiB) Viewed 418 times
MB #2349
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Possibly the float valve in the float chamber of the carb. When the valve is worn, or has a little junk in it, it doesn't shut off when the float thinks it should. Fuel slowly squeezes past and drips out the vent or drain tube of the carb. From there it drips down onto whatever is below.

The float valve is generally a very small spring-loaded convex metal cone that closes in a matching concave metal hole. Perfect match equals great seal. Poor match equals a leak.

Also check the fuel line and the manifold vacuum-operated fuel shutoff, plus the tank itself could possibly have a small crack, hole, or poor seal; but these are probably far less likely.

Good luck, and treat this with care so you and your scoot are safe.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Check the bottom of the fuel tank where the petcock goes in. Make sure it is tight.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?