2007 buddy 125 vs. the stebel airhorn....

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dannyW

2007 buddy 125 vs. the stebel airhorn....

Post by dannyW »

and the winner is neither.

i took the front off for the third time.

moved around all the little random wired boxes, and without forcing the top on, the stebel does not fit the 2007 buddy.... (this may be different for 2006 models, i don't know)

the people who have apparently fit the stebel into the 2007 all refuse to take a picture and post it.

and if you search the threads you will find a great thread s that is 65 percent awesome pictures of the installation of some other brand of air horn....

so does anyone want to recommend another brand that will actually fit?

or want to buy my silver and slightly scratched up stebel?
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I had Hella Big Reds on my Buddy, but it was also a 2006...

The topic on that is here:
viewtopic.php?t=214

Ultimately, I added the other tone in there as well, but I had to relocate a few little things in there under the front panel.

They're rather loud, and they definitely get the attention of anyone that you want to be honking at. :lol:
Huh? What just happened?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I'd love to help you man, but my Stebel is in an 06. I guess they're different.

It was worth the effort to put it in.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

Mine is in an 06 as well.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Thee are a number of "disc" style horns like the Wolo Mini But Loud and others which I think are louder than the stock Buddy horn (110-120 decibels; not sure how loud Buddy is). They're also much smaller than the air horns.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 2007 buddy 125 vs. the stebel airhorn....

Post by jrsjr »

dannyW wrote:i took the front off for the third time.

moved around all the little random wired boxes, and without forcing the top on, the stebel does not fit the 2007 buddy.... (this may be different for 2006 models, i don't know)
Hey dannyW, I don't have an 07 Buddy, but I'm wondering. At the Vespa workshop, I watched Curt shoehorn Stebel horns into a variety of Vespas. Curt's method for actually mounting the horn was the key. His real secret was his mounting technique. I have about two minutes to try to describe this to you in words, so here goes:

You are going to need some big bad long zip ties. They need to be big enough to go around the Stebel from top to bottom and they also need to be long enough to go around your steering column. If you don't have them, go to Home Depot and get a bag. While you're there, get a pair of diagonal cutters which you can use to cut the zip ties. This is not optional.

Done?

Okay, hold the Stebel in your hand facing you. Now loop a zip tie around the body of the thing from top to bottom. I don't have time to do a drawing, see if you can figure it out from my description. You can get the zip tie around it from top to bottom in about the middle located so that it can't slip off in either direction. Got it?

Now use your diagonal cutters to trim the extra zip tie length.

Now take two more zip ties and feed those horizontally through the vertical zip tie on the back of the horn. Orient the two horizontal ties so that they can wrap around your steering column and zip. Get it? You've now made a "mounting bracket" out of zip ties.

Now, remove the front cover of your Buddy for the fourth time, and see if you can find a place to put the horn. DO NOT be fussy about where. The horn is loud enough that it will be heard even if the position is not perfect. Zip the horizontal ties around your steering column. Plug in the wiring you did according to the directions you got from Stebel.

BEEP!

Okay?

NO?!? There's still no place to put the horn? Okay, that's not a big deal. At the workshop, Curt found that the Vespa GTS250ie had the same problem. Check it out, if you cut the old horn mount bracket out, could you then get the horn in there where the old one was? Yes? Okay, here is how Curt did it. He got a Dremel Mototool with a "cutting wheel" and just removed the old bracket. Then he took a Q-tip, sprayed a little primer paint on it and dressed the raw metal left from the cut. Then he installed the horn exactly as I described above right where the bracket used to be. If it were my scooter, and I had to do this, I would give the primer a couple hours to dry to touch before I stuffed the horn in there.

I have to go, won't be back until late Tuesday or early Wednesday. If my directions about the zip ties, etc., aren't clear, let me know and I will make a drawing and post it then.

If you think of it, the most helpful thing you could do, is to take lots of photos to help out future 07 Buddy owners. Thanks!

Good Luck!
Last edited by jrsjr on Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dannyW

Post by dannyW »

wow...

I will try it.

thank you thank you thank you

p.s. this is the best forum ever
bikebuda

steibel air horn

Post by bikebuda »

wait dont cut anything .....

I have installed several in 2007 buddy 125s i will take a pick in the morning

once you see the picture there is no cutting or moving of any wires it is a direct bolt on but not in the stock horn location

it goes under the front frame bracket i will post picks in the morning
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

i havent gotten the stebel in yet due to time contraints of myself and that of nice guy at work who put it in my '06 last year. i can't make any time related promises but i can promise to take a pic whenever it gets done.