Piaggio Fly 150 3v

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scullyfu

Piaggio Fly 150 3v

Post by scullyfu »

so, its been out a while now and i'm wondering if anyone here has one and what you think of it. thanks.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Got to test one at a local dealership. It's very smooth and well made. Top end does not match a buddy.

Justgottascoot did a review and said the same. Very efficient model though.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

skully93 wrote:Top end does not match a buddy.
Hm. Kind of surprising.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

Fly 150 3v has been excellent for us. At 270 lbs it not quite as fast as our Buddy 125 off of the line but it'll hit nearly 70 MPH on the flat. (It took about 600 miles to break it in.). Seat height is low like the Buddy. Under seat storage is excellent. The fuel-injected 3v Vietnamese-made engine (same as in the new Vespa 946) has been providing c.85 MPG. Best part is the price. At $2800 it's an excellent deal. Very pleased with the bike. (We still love our Buddy.) The 2014 Piaggio Fly 150 3v is quite an upgrade from it's predecessors.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (120.23 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
skully93

Post by skully93 »

ericalm wrote:
skully93 wrote:Top end does not match a buddy.
Hm. Kind of surprising.
Maybe they get better after break in. Obviously didn't own it for 3k miles.

The mpg/service intervals, esp. for the cheaper price, are really attractive. It was also comfortable, well laid out.
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

It really opens up after break-in. Service intervals are great with this new engine (which you'll likely see in regular Vespae too-not just the 946). Well worth a look especially for a first scooter, for a shorter rider (e.g. me!), or a frugal person (again- me!).
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

Still breaking mine in but at just over 600 miles it is a very smooth ride. Hopefully the top end improves with time as it isn't as fast as the Buddy. Yet.
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

irishtim wrote:Fly 150 3v has been excellent for us. At 270 lbs it not quite as fast as our Buddy 125 off of the line but it'll hit nearly 70 MPH on the flat. (It took about 600 miles to break it in.). Seat height is low like the Buddy. Under seat storage is excellent. The fuel-injected 3v Vietnamese-made engine (same as in the new Vespa 946) has been providing c.85 MPG. Best part is the price. At $2800 it's an excellent deal. Very pleased with the bike. (We still love our Buddy.) The 2014 Piaggio Fly 150 3v is quite an upgrade from it's predecessors.
Hmm, 70 for real? is that with a GPS, or the speedo.... Just curious cause I was checking out the info on line and it says 61 tops... If it would actually do 70, I would definitely consider it.....
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

Our first Fly 150 3v client brought his in for service yesterday.
Already clocked over 8,500 miles on it and absolutely loves it.
He replaced the rear tire finally on it, although it has a little tread left on it.

Not a single problem with it at all.
he got it a few times to its top speed of about 73 mph (speedo).
Not as fast as the Buddy on take off, but has higher top end and much smoother than the Buddy.
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

When I was at the 946 launch at VSO I was talking to Eric, the Piaggio tech about the Fly. He said that across the board it has been the most trouble free scooter he's seen in quite a while. It was also consistently beating the LX off the line. Not that they race them or anything....
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

70 MPH indicated for me.
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

I have a hard time believing that the Buddy has a higher top speed. My 2 valve 125cc Aprilia, although not nearly as quick of the line, will pull away from my wife on her Buddy 150. And she is considerably lighter than I am.
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

Our Buddy 125 is quicker off the line but the Fly 150 3v has a higher top speed.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

OK I am really interested here, and will ask if any one can get a verified top speed after the unit is broken in? I am very curious about this scooter. R
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

still shifting wrote:OK I am really interested here, and will ask if any one can get a verified top speed after the unit is broken in? I am very curious about this scooter. R
Got our Demo with 435 miles to go to about 73mph on the freeway.
Smooth as butta..
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Is that 73 mph per the speedometer, or per GPS? Thanks!

I'll be comparing the Fly and the Hooligan, when available. I suspect others may do that too. The Fly has a lot to recommend it, and my local dealer is selling a lot of them.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

OldGuy wrote:Is that 73 mph per the speedometer, or per GPS? Thanks!

I'll be comparing the Fly and the Hooligan, when available. I suspect others may do that too. The Fly has a lot to recommend it, and my local dealer is selling a lot of them.
Speedo.

I suspect the Hooligan will be quicker, but the Fly should be smoother and more refined.
The 3v engine is one of the smoothest engines on the market!
paulmiller20

Re: Piaggio Fly 150 3v

Post by paulmiller20 »

scullyfu wrote:so, its been out a while now and i'm wondering if anyone here has one and what you think of it. thanks.
I have 1000+km on mine.

Pros:

Acceleration ... smooth as silk.
12' wheels ... very stable.
Refined build ... elegant styling.
Nicest balance and handling of any scooter I've owned.
Fuel injection is great. Starts always without a hiccup.
Getting @ 85 mi./gal. and expect that will improve slightly.
Great sound but refined.
Good solid braking.
Hard to believe the price ($2899).

Cons?:

Odometer registers in kilometers (how did they get away with that in US?)
Wish it had an audible turn signal like the Buddy.
Under seat storage is ample but won't handle my 3/4 helmet (Large).
Piaggio should have had the newer Soft Italia top case available as an accessory ... (most dealers have no idea when it will be available in the US). Advertised case is old and doesn't mesh with the newer styling.
Should have come with a rear disc ... as in the Euro 125 edition. Would have happily paid extra for that.

Would I buy another? In a heartbeat. It's an all 'round great scooter.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

...I have 1000+km on mine.

Would I buy another? In a heartbeat. It's an all 'round great scooter

And your top speed? R
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

I would really like to see a GPS speed number. Maybe I'm just "gun shy" from the Buddy speedo. I'm just not trusting of these speedo readings on anything. If its an honest 70, and not in actuality 61 or 62...then I'm in.
paulmiller20

Post by paulmiller20 »

SonnyD wrote:I would really like to see a GPS speed number. Maybe I'm just "gun shy" from the Buddy speedo. I'm just not trusting of these speedo readings on anything. If its an honest 70, and not in actuality 61 or 62...then I'm in.
Honesty I can't give you a GPS number. I was waiting until the engine was fully broken in ... and the scooter is put away for the winter. I'm not an interstate cruiser. My guess is that it tops out under 65 mph ... fast enough for me.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

A good rule of thumb on scoot/motorcycle speeds is to knock off 5 mph from the speedo reading. The only way to get a true speed reading is with a GPS.
I have found on all of my scoots that the average error is 5 mph. If it says
65 on your speedo you can be safe in figuring that you are doing 60. Which
is fast enough for me!!
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

paulmiller20 wrote:
scullyfu wrote:so, its been out a while now and i'm wondering if anyone here has one and what you think of it. thanks.
I have 1000+km on mine.

Pros:

Acceleration ... smooth as silk.
12' wheels ... very stable.
Refined build ... elegant styling.
Nicest balance and handling of any scooter I've owned.
Fuel injection is great. Starts always without a hiccup.
Getting @ 85 mi./gal. and expect that will improve slightly.
Great sound but refined.
Good solid braking.
Hard to believe the price ($2899).

Cons?:

Odometer registers in kilometers (how did they get away with that in US?)
Wish it had an audible turn signal like the Buddy.
Under seat storage is ample but won't handle my 3/4 helmet (Large).
Piaggio should have had the newer Soft Italia top case available as an accessory ... (most dealers have no idea when it will be available in the US). Advertised case is old and doesn't mesh with the newer styling.
Should have come with a rear disc ... as in the Euro 125 edition. Would have happily paid extra for that.

Would I buy another? In a heartbeat. It's an all 'round great scooter.
The new Fly top case is a Soft Italia case and has been available for several months.
We have sold quite a few of them. ;)
You can get a regular black old style case, or the newer case with matching color.
paulmiller20

Post by paulmiller20 »

[quote="Alexbv200"]

The new Fly top case is a Soft Italia case and has been available for several months.
You can get a regular black old style case, or the newer case with matching color.

Alex,

I would be very interested in purchasing a new Soft Italia (Piaggio) top case for my 2014 Fly 150 3V in Pearl White. I'm assuming the mounting plate comes with and fits the OEM rear rack that came with the scoot? Please quote me a price that includes shipping. It would be easiest for me to correspond directly by email. You can reach me at paulmiller20@gmail.com.

Thanks, Paul Miller
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Wolfhound wrote:A good rule of thumb on scoot/motorcycle speeds is to knock off 5 mph from the speedo reading. The only way to get a true speed reading is with a GPS.
I have found on all of my scoots that the average error is 5 mph. If it says
65 on your speedo you can be safe in figuring that you are doing 60. Which
is fast enough for me!!
Yeah, that's usually the case, that's why I said I'm a bit "gun shy" with the Buddy speedo.....way more then 5 off on it...and probably most of them...I would just like a scooter with an honest 70mph top speed. Not that it would live there for me, but it would be nice for some of the rides I do.....
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

SonnyD wrote:...I would just like a scooter with an honest 70mph top speed. Not that it would live there for me, but it would be nice for some of the rides I do.....
How about a Vespa GT200. An honest 70 mph any time you want and good prices on the used market. (plus it looks good :wink: )
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Dooglas wrote:
SonnyD wrote:...I would just like a scooter with an honest 70mph top speed. Not that it would live there for me, but it would be nice for some of the rides I do.....
How about a Vespa GT200. An honest 70 mph any time you want and good prices on the used market. (plus it looks good :wink: )
I've checked those out on YouTube and stuff.....how's the reliability
ironmask

Post by ironmask »

I just bought this bike yesterday, I upgrade from my Buddy 50 (w/ 72 Prima BBK) and I absolutely love it! It hits 60mph with ease and I actually hit 70 for a few moments but I really was reluctant to stay there until it is broken in. I have to admit, it rides a hell of a lot better than the Buddy does and the suspension has 4 adjustments on it for rider, passenger and passenger with luggage. I am really pleased with this bike and I almost bought the Buddy 125 and had every intention of when I went down to my local shop. (ScootRichmond)

Anyways, I will keep you posted on how well it performs after some more break in because this will be my daily driver for a long while.

Thanks Ashley and Chelsea at ScootRichmond for a great customer experience and as always you will get referrals from me on a regular basis when it comes to recommending a great scooter shop! :D
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

SonnyD wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
Folks who own them speak very highly of the reliability of the 200cc liquid-cooled Leader engine. It is carbed which some riders prefer, especially those who do their own wrenching. The GT200 has become something of a Vespa classic.
ggs34

new fly 150 3v

Post by ggs34 »

any one see any videos on the new fly 3v 150 on u tube i could not find any?
paulmiller20

Re: new fly 150 3v

Post by paulmiller20 »

ggs34 wrote:any one see any videos on the new fly 3v 150 on u tube i could not find any?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je80gsI1xIc
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Dooglas wrote:
SonnyD wrote:
Dooglas wrote: How about a Vespa GT200. An honest 70 mph any time you want and good prices on the used market. (plus it looks good :wink: )
Folks who own them speak very highly of the reliability of the 200cc liquid-cooled Leader engine. It is carbed which some riders prefer, especially those who do their own wrenching. The GT200 has become something of a Vespa classic.
Thank You,I appreciate the info.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

paulmiller20 wrote:
ggs34 wrote:any one see any videos on the new fly 3v 150 on u tube i could not find any?
Wow. That was horrible!
paulmiller20

Post by paulmiller20 »

Christophers wrote:
paulmiller20 wrote:
Wow. That was horrible!
I agree ... guess Piaggio figured their target was airhead teeny boppers. That is probably one of the worst product videos ever produced. I bought the scooter in spite of it.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Well, that set advertising campaigns back to the comic book era not to mention proper protective riding gear efforts. Think I will stay with Genuine
products. Piaggio would be well advised to fire their advertising director. :P :P
ironmask

Post by ironmask »

Yes the video was quite corny. but I am very happy with my Piaggio Fly 3v 150. It is very smooth and handles very nicely. it was definitely a major upgrade for myself to go from my Buddy 50 (w/ bbk) to the Fly 150. They are both black and when side by side they seem to resemble little brothers, lol. I am going to sell my Buddy most likely to someone else starting out in the scooter world.. it has been a nice bike, but I had about 13K on it when I finally decided to purchase a new one and I could not be happier with the choice I made. I do miss the 12v outlet and the MPH stats more focused on the Buddy, but I can figure it out... I think it is 65 miles equals 1000km. On the piaggio site it says this sucker can get over 100 MPG. Yet the top speed says a little over 60mph, although I have gotten it up to 70 mph for a few moments but I decided to back off seeing that the bike is fairly new... but when I reach a better break in... I will really take it to the extreme and keep people posted... after warranty runs out I may even look into a few performance parts to add.

Overall I think this bike is nice.. although.. it doesn't lean as low into turns as I wanted it to because I felt a small scrape when leaning already.
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

paulmiller20 wrote:
Alexbv200 wrote:

Alex,

I would be very interested in purchasing a new Soft Italia (Piaggio) top case for my 2014 Fly 150 3V in Pearl White. I'm assuming the mounting plate comes with and fits the OEM rear rack that came with the scoot? Please quote me a price that includes shipping. It would be easiest for me to correspond directly by email. You can reach me at paulmiller20@gmail.com.

Thanks, Paul Miller
Paul did you get my email?
(Might want to check your SPAM inbox)
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

Wolfhound wrote:Well, that set advertising campaigns back to the comic book era not to mention proper protective riding gear efforts. Think I will stay with Genuine
products. Piaggio would be well advised to fire their advertising director. :P :P
Not sure what is wrong with this video.
It targets the right demographics and they indeed promote somewhat the wear of protective gear.
it's better than Genuine being proud of Selena Gomez and her friends on Buddy 50 wearing only a bikini..... :roll:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I agree with Christophers and Paul Miller. I would buy a Piaggio product but not because of this commercial.In my opinion it appeals to a narrow market
segment consisting of the 25 and under group. It is not going to appeal to the age groups over that. The music is loud and interruptive, A helmet does not
go past the the minimum in riding safety equipment. And the ad graphics frankly are distracting and interuptive. Frankly I find Selena Gomez 'sitting' on a bike in a bikini much more interesting :wink: :wink:
Not trying to be argumentive but what is your target demographic? In other words what is your largest selling market?
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Any used unit showing up in your neighborhood? R
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

No. My dealer has 13 in stock, a mix of Piaggios, all new. :wink:
ironmask

Post by ironmask »

Just breaking mine in and was hitting 72 MPH on a flat for a while. I'm really impressed. The stand up kick stand is kind of too low because I've scuffed it a few times leaning into turns.
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

ironmask wrote:Just breaking mine in and was hitting 72 MPH on a flat for a while. I'm really impressed. The stand up kick stand is kind of too low because I've scuffed it a few times leaning into turns.
That's an easy fix.
Lower your stand, remove the rubber bushing. Cut it in half and put it back on.
It won't scrape anymore.. :wink:
ironmask

Post by ironmask »

Alexbv200 wrote:
ironmask wrote:Just breaking mine in and was hitting 72 MPH on a flat for a while. I'm really impressed. The stand up kick stand is kind of too low because I've scuffed it a few times leaning into turns.
That's an easy fix.
OK thanks, I will look into that. :-)
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

ironmask wrote:
Alexbv200 wrote:
That's an easy fix.
OK thanks, I will look into that. :-)
Most welcome.

We do it on ALL the Flys that come in and no more complaints.. ;)