So long Buddy 170i, hello BV350

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pinthea

So long Buddy 170i, hello BV350

Post by pinthea »

Hello,

Thanks to some incredible incentives from Piaggio and a healthy mark down from my local scooter shop, today I traded in my beloved 2012 Buddy 170i Pamplona on a 2013 Piaggio BV350.

Having owned and riden maxi-scooters before (a Burgman 400 and a Majesty 400) I really like the bigger scoots and as fun as my Buddy was, I was ready for something new after 2 great summer riding seasons with my Buddy.

Today's experience reminded me how awesome my local scooter shop is (Vespa Portland) and I wanted to give them a shout-out and a high recommendation from a satisfied repeat customer.

We've bought 3 scooters there in total, and a ton of accessories, and I couldn't be happier with the shop or the owners, a nice couple (Paul and Maggie) who really connect well with the scooter enthusiast energy, you can tell that, to them, it's not just a business...

Now it's cold and rainy in Portland, and the beautiful new BV350 now sits in the garage just aching to stretch its legs... =)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy your BV as much as the Buddy. Good to hear that Vespa Portland still rocks!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I have considered the BV350 for down the road. It should be a great ride for you. Having just bought a 1978 Honda CB400A as a restoration project I will
stick with my 2012 Buddy 170i as my main ride for hopefully quite a while. Enjoy the BV350 and let us know how it does for you. :wink:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

The only thing I don't like about the BV350 is the weight. 390 lbs. dry. Still, if I did a lot of touring, it would be high on my list. Fuel mileage is fantastic I hear.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

My Honda MC weighs in at 390, wet. Have not ridden it yet so cant say what I
think of it. Ultimately if I keep it I will put a tow pack on it or my Cozy Bullet. :)
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The BV 350 is a great touring scooter in my experience. It is stable and comfortable on the road. It will run as long as you want at darned near any speed that you want. And it is a real value at its price point. Ride safe, and have fun with it!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Welcome to the BV350 Owners Group. It's a great scoot. I think you'll like it.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

boo you Buddy traitor! :hit:
Riding is riding
Milt

Post by Milt »

I was on the fence about the BV350 for quite some time. It handled traffic and expressway riding quite well, but that heavy wet clutch at the rear hub contributes more to unsprung weight than I prefer (only a problem on rough roads). Also, the linked brakes preclude the 'power and rear brake' low speed tight u-turn drill.

When I tested a used TMAX, it actually was easier to u-turn than the BV350, while its frame-mounted engine, transmission and wet clutch reduces unsprung weight which makes it handle amazingly well, even my sport bike standards. The older BV250 suited our needs better, but the long maintenance intervals and excellent smooth-pavement manners of the 350 were quite tempting. Had I not found really good deals on the TMAX and BV250, I would likely have purchased the BV350.

I am certain that you will enjoy your new ride; keep the shiny side up...
Freedom is a package deal