Windscreen advice

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jmp111181

Windscreen advice

Post by jmp111181 »

Hey folks! Got my first Stella coming at the end of the year. Looking at various windscreens. Not sure what the pros and cons are to different sizes and styles.

Can anyone offer me any tips or advice?? THanks!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I've got the Cuppini short windscreen and I like it cos It looks good but does little but gets the wind off your chest and depending on height, it may deflect it to you head/helmet. I don't know for sure but the "Mod" style windscreens are just the same. Just for looks. Then there are some taller windscreens that protect your hands as well but I've never used them. I didn't like the look and don't have the tools to cut it down to right size for me so I went with the Cuppini short. If you order from scooterwest they'll say you need to buy a different bracket to fit both the windscreen and the mirrors. DON'T DO IT! As they are not needed and you can fit it together if your clever enough. A Lock nut is a good idea for the bottom cos on the Cuppini short I kept loosing mine.... Hope this helps (in a stereo instruction kinda way)..
stASH

Post by stASH »

I use a windshield strictly for winter riding, it comes off as soon as temps rise in the spring. I originally purchased the Faco mid-sized windshield. It has the flared out bottom that blocks wind from your hands, which I think is crucial for winter riding. That shield was damaged in a wreck and my shop replaced it with a similar one by Vigano.

Personally, I think the windshields are pretty ugly, wouldn't use one if it wasn't absolutely necessary. You're in NOLA? Unless you're doing a lot of long rides on open roads it might not be necessary.
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

I also have the Cuppini short windscreen from ScooterWest. I used the brackets that came with it, as well as the existing mirror brackets - I didn't purchase any special ones.

I find that it keeps the wind off my chest as well as stableizing the scoot at higher speeds. It makes for a bit more wind noise and I also don't like the way windscreens look.

I'd ride it without one for a few weeks first. Then, if you do decide to get one, you'll know what you do or don't like about it.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

I have a flyscreen, the black one and at speed over 35mph(ish) i can feel the effect it makes just as others have said...BUT, the short hieght and slight tilt back at higher speed directs the wind right into my face when riding at a good posture, not too bad if i tuck down some...but it looks soo MOD on the scoot...black screen, black cowel bras on a cream stella thhat i dont mind.
jmp111181

Post by jmp111181 »

Thanks y'all. Yeah, I'm here in NOLA. It doesn't get horribly winterish for very long. I'll be getting my Stella around Xmas time/early January, so it will be cold for a bit, and as it's going to be my primary transportation, I'm thinking it'll be needed (its in the 40s/50s right now). I also really like the way the taller windshields look, i.e. http://www.scooterworks.com/cuppini-win ... pYbmMRDuK8
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

I fitted a Malossi screen to mine, it came clear but I sprayed it black.

Pros- It looks cool and reduces drag so gives a couple of mph top speed increase.

Cons- Not much weather protection.

saturnphive

Post by saturnphive »

That's badass Tipper!

I say skip the windscreen and get a pair of nice gloves and a scarf. 40s/50s? That's hoodie and jeans weather!

IMHO windscreens are sorta ugly, unless you pull it off like Tipper did there. But I feel the same way about motorcycles too - hate hate hate windjammers. Blech!

Is that a rebadged Stella or an actual LML Star Tipper? Did you do the matte black paint on the whole thing yourself too? I love the night rider vibe.

Whatever you decide JMP, I'd opt for the less is more school of thought.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Tipper will respond eventually.
That bike is a LML 2004t and tipper hails from the UK.
He had the unfortunate experience of totalling a previous 200 4t and this is the replacement.

If you look up tippers past postings he gives a very detailed story of the selling dealer handling the paint job.
The color is available in the UK but the dealer was unable to get one fast enouph if I recall correctly.

Rob
saturnphive

Post by saturnphive »

Thanks Rob.

I think Tipper was also the one who posted the photo with the snowtires. A dream I've since given up on.

I'll have to check out that backstory.

Take it easy!
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Robbie wrote:Tipper will respond eventually.
That bike is a LML 2004t and tipper hails from the UK.
He had the unfortunate experience of totalling a previous 200 4t and this is the replacement.

If you look up tippers past postings he gives a very detailed story of the selling dealer handling the paint job.
The color is available in the UK but the dealer was unable to get one fast enouph if I recall correctly.

Rob
Sorry for the late reply, I work in a theatre and it pantomime season over here so my life and soul has been taken over with work.

I live in the Uk so we are lucky enough to have the 200 4t available to us. Here is what happened to my first one -

Which is now slowly progressing into a cut down -

I bought the black beast with the insurance pay out,the best place to see its story is here - http://www.lmlocgb.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtop ... er+new+200

The screen is a Malossi screen, I sprayed it black myself and then had the LML decals made up. I lot of people re-badge there LML's as Vespa's over here but I have gone the other way and added more LML stickers :twisted:

I seem to have hijacked the thread sorry !

Back on topic,I think scooters look better without screens but a screen is a very simple way of increasing your top speed so I fit them to all my scooters these days.

The trick in making them look good is tying them in with the rest of the scoot some how be it with paint or decals, out of the box they often look a bit out of place.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I have a flyscreen I purchased from Scooterworks:

http://www.scooterworks.com/flyscreen-- ... qh8wPRDvvw

I am very pleased with the results both visually and performance-wise. Before I installed the windscreen, I felt like a hand was pressing me backwards any time I was over 30 mph.

Fair warning: The install is finicky as everything is adjustable. I semi tightened all of the bolts so I could just move them, then adjusted all the angles until it suited me.