Caught in a snowstorm - or - "that will buff right out&

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

saturnphive

Caught in a snowstorm - or - "that will buff right out&

Post by saturnphive »

So Monday was our first big snowstorm here in Minneapolis. Foolishly, I opted to drive the Stella into work in the morning because my traitorous weather clock said the snow wouldn't start until late evening.

2 oclock flurries
3 oclock snow
3:30 and I'm out the door "Sorry fellas, don't want to be killed on the way home." (Don't SAY shit like that!)

By the time I'm in the parking lot, there's an inch of slush and snow on the pavement and strings of cusswords are echoing through my head. Along with admonishments like "this is so stupid." "you're going to get yourself killed" etc.

I have a hanky with a magnet rubber banded to it like a Pro Football "flag". I attach the magnet to the leg shield and use it to wipe my visor. Going full helmet and armor in the snow/rain 30 degree heat. The point is I can't even see the yellow hanky on my cowl the flakes are adhearing to my visor so fast.

No terrible bad luck for about 5 miles, scary; no visibility; occasionally riding with the visor up to see, still swearing to myself and thoughts turning too frequently to my unborn child. I pass the highway underpass and traffic thins dramatically - as do the wheel marks I'd been riding on. Now there's definitely ice under the tires with occasional patches of asphalt.

I crest a hill and feel the back end shimmy, it doesn't correct and I put down my feet for outriggers. My slick, office shoes doing nothing at all but slide, the back end is kicking to the right as we execute a swift clockwise rotation, and its suddenly clear we're going 180 degrees and we'll be lucky to stop there. I'm facing traffic now, sliding backwards at about 20 mph, the slide continues, I can see the twisting contrails in the snow from where my wheels and feet have dug into the road and left twirls of black on white, but the twist continues and I make it to about 270 degrees before it all goes sideways. Then the bike is sliding next to me on the road, and I'm sprawled out making tumbling snow angels in the left turn lane.

No injury except a bruise where the bike landed on my knee and a cut where it hit my shin at some point, and frankly I didn't discover those until later that night, the adrenaline was pumping so much. I pop up almost before the bike dies. A motorist slows to ask if I'm alright and my muffled in-helmet voice probably said something like "Hrrmmrmmrmphhrp! HRrmrrHHJRRMMM!" Thank God the electric start works. 30 seconds after hitting the ground I'm already painstakingly tracing the tire marks again cursing my ruined lifetime crashless streak.

With even more care, I make it another 800 yards or so when I, mercifully, leave the 45 mph county road and enter the residential portion of my drive. Only 2 miles to go.

I coast to the first stop sign, just barely think about braking and instantly slam my head against the ground. It was like the bike and my brain were magnetically yanked from upright to faceplant.

With a smooth, unbroken blanket of white stretching out for two miles ahead of me, bespotted with a dozen stopsigns, a stop light and a steep, final hill replete with four more stopsigns, I shamefully alight. Trudge to the sidewalk pushing the stella.

After about a half mile pushing, I stop to let the steam roll off me and take off my helmet. (I figure I'm done crashing and the momentary headache from the second fall has subsided) Since I haven't jogged or done anything remotely cardiovascular in years, this is literally the toughest workout I've had since high school. My wingtips offer as much purchase on the slush as cardboard does on carpet. I take in the damage and find a bent mirror, some serious scratches to the left cowl and a dented front fender. A little of the aluminum flashing around the leg shield has been pried away near the front wheel.

But it still starts, it still runs, and I'm sure that will buff right out. An hour later, I've completed the two-mile push - putting it in 3rd gear to navigate the downhill and holding in the clutch, releasing it partially to slow down instead of using the front wheel brake - which results in an instantly locked front wheel and the stella tackling me like a lovesick puppy.

After pulling in the driveway, turning on the christmas tree and sitting on the couch, I succumb to a 24 hour flu bug which I'm now completely over. I can't honestly believe the emotional and physical exertion didn't play some role in my illness.

In the mean time, Scooter Season is officially over in Northeast Minneapolis. Its been sweet folks. Now if anyone can point me in the direction of a body shop or some suggestions for taking out two palm sized gashes of bare metal on my left cowl I'd be happy to hear it. More simply, let me know if anyone with a powder blue stella has a pristine left cowl burning a hole in their pocket.

Peace out taters. I'll post some pics when it starts seeming like a dream.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Glad you came out of it mostly alright. On the other hand, you are correct that you showed colossally poor judgement getting into this situation to start with. (Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement :wink: )
saturnphive

Post by saturnphive »

Yes, I gained a lot of "experience" on that particular ride.
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

Thanks for the entertaining read. I'd say that it's not all poor judgement, choosing to ride that day. It has to do - in part - with the fact that it's a lot more fun to ride the Stella to work than to drive.

You might be able to fix those dings yourself if you can get some matching paint. (I did with mine..... got it 90% perfect - which is close enough)
saturnphive

Post by saturnphive »

Word.

Exactly right about riding it to work. I hate being in the car when I've got twisties to tame!
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

just barely think about braking and instantly slam my head against the ground. It was like the bike and my brain were magnetically yanked from upright to faceplant.
Yup. Until one experiences that, it's impossible to understand how instantaneously it happens on a slick surface. There is no falling time - just the impact. Glad your OK.
saturnphive

Post by saturnphive »

I've been on scoots for about 5 years commuting and for fun, and this (rather, "these") was the first time I've ever gotten thrown.

You're right about those slick, slow speed falls. It was friggin' instantaneous. If someone had been standing behind me with a gun to my head and pulled the trigger, they would have missed. No time to react or protect myself at all.
Totally reaffirms the importance of at least wearing a helmet out there.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

That's some story. Had a bit of "GTA" going on but at least your alive...
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Enjoyed the read. Rest up! I've put away the scoots for the winter, but would be tempted to take them out if the weather warmed up.

I used to live in Minneapolis - miss the area.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

Been There done that, designed the T-shirt. :lol:

When this has happened to me, i don't stop at stop signs, i downshift and roll through them, unless i know i have to stop.

Engine braking is your friend in these situations. Don't make a habit of it if you have a 2T though.

If you live and work in Mpls there is Car to Go, for 1 way trips if you get snowed in.

Winter tires also make a big difference! Glad you aren't hurt. If you find a body shop, let me know. I could use some dents pounded out as well.

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
spodgorski

Post by spodgorski »

It's good to hear your ok. It takes balls for guy to ride a scooter. But, it takes bigger balls to drive through that.
smillerlou

Post by smillerlou »

haha great story! that happened to me once going about 2 miles an hour on a wet street. I don't use my front brakes at all anymore when it is wet or slick.