New Blur Prototype Prima Exhaust

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pocphil
Dealer

New Blur Prototype Prima Exhaust

Post by pocphil »

Just installed our first unit...fitment is EXCELLENT, no bending or modification required.

Weighs half of what the OEM did.

100% stainless steel construction, laser welded, chrome plated.

The bracket is without a doubt the best mounting bracket I have seen on ANY exhaust system, it mounts up perfectly cleanly and it's definitely overbuilt. I am 100% impressed with this exhaust.

Sound - A vast improvement. Definitely aggressive without needing to apologize to the neighbors.

Power - So far so good, typical mid-range grunt improvement you'd expect from a much free-er flowing pipe. I'll post more results after a few more top speed runs, but we've got it mounted on a brand-new, 0 mile bike so we've got a way to go before we know what the actual bump is going to be.

We're playing around with roller weights right now and we'll give you definite results as we get them.
Attachments
blurpipe2.JPG
blurpipe2.JPG (94.25 KiB) Viewed 6173 times
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Dam Sam, I want my Blur back with one of those bad dogs on it! :twisted: Thanks for posting that, Phil.
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

It's going to be fun reading up on your test results - yeah, put a kit on that Blur! :)
itcardoc

exhaust

Post by itcardoc »

The exhaust looks great. There's only one thing that looks bad in my opinion. The tailpipe out the back of the muffler is way too big. It looks like someone took a "tuner car" muffler and mounted it on a scooter. It would look better with a sportbike size outlet like 1 1/2 to 2"or so. -Kevin
If anything can go wrong ... it will!
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

Ok, here's the results of our first bit of tuning.

Step 1 - Replaced the OEM main jet with a 110. We're getting a little bog when you whack the throttle WFO from a stop, so we might try backing down to a 108 to smooth that out.

Step 2 - Replaced the OEM rollers with 11 Gram units (oem from the Buddy 125). We tried the 10 grams and it engaged and hit hard, but it lost a lot of the guts. We still haven't got enough miles on to do a real top speed run.

Power is definitely up and pick-up is definitely better. We have been without our Dyno hook-up for a while now, so everything is sort of seat of the pants. So, I'm not saying any of our results are empirical. We're testing the bike by running it against another Blur with a similarly weighted rider.

We'll keep you posted 'til the snow falls.

We're selling '06 Blurs brand new for $2400 so give us a shout if you're ready to step up.
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I was just wondering if there's any update on this new exhaust system. What will the price be?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

babblefish wrote:I was just wondering if there's any update on this new exhaust system. What will the price be?
And does it come in matte black?
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I'd like carbon fiber, please. :D
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

is this pipe available yet? I couldn't find it on scooterworks
AYBABTU

Post by AYBABTU »

Hey everyone--I don't know if this is the same pipe, but is sure looks like it and Scooterworks has it on sale:

http://www.scooterworks.com/Performance ... 02C290.cfm

Can anyone tell me where to find a 108 jet? According to POCPhil in this post the 110 jet seems too big. Others like ITCARDOC seem to suggest the 108 is the right size for the elevation I'm at (Philly). According to Kehien's website, the PB size jets only come in increments of 5 for any size over 100. I ordered a 110 (better to be too rich than too lean--aka burnt piston!). Any help will be appreciated.

Mods so far: Stebel horn, front LEDs changed from amber to Blue, and Headlight/Tail Light stobes a la cop car style.

Mods coming this week:
The Pipe mentioned above w/ header wrap
Dr. Pulley variator
Dr. Pulley 11g slider weights.

I'll post the outcome.........peace! :D
~There are no stupid questions, just a lot of inquisitive idiots~
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

That's it!

They finally produce the pipe! Prima is their own brand, so if scooterworks is selling it, it's the same pipe as above, or atleast the official one.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

So if Scooterworks is selling it, and there is no disclaimer on the product page, does this mean it wont void your warranty? If not, Ill be placing an order as soon as possible... Otherwise, I guess stock will have to do for the next 2 years.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

It's probably the same as the buddy prima pipe, as long as the dealer orders and does the install, the bike's warranty is ok.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Oh well, I already ordered one shortly after posting the question. Would there be any reason I couldnt just have the dealer install the pipe at my first service to keep the warranty intact? I mean, I have an invoice showing that the pipe was bought from Scooterworks, and would have a receipt showing I had a Genuine dealer install the pipe...

I just wanted to order right away, cause I doubt we will be seeing ANYTHING else in the states for the Blur (except the ugly MRP muffler), and who knows how long it would last before being backordered with as fast as Blur parts sell out.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I'd ask the dealer, they'd probably know. Maybe it'll be like the buddy pipe, as long as they touch it and do the work, it'll be ok. But your dealer is the one who should know. I doubt they'd void it because you bought it yourself.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Well, I called my dealer today, they said they should have an answer for me around 10am tomorrow when Im supposed to call back and get all the legality lingo straight from the horses mouth (Genuine / Scooterworks). Ill let everyone know what I find out tomorrow.

Until then, at least I know I got one badass looking exhaust on its way to me...
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

If you want noticable power, get the Dr. Pulley variator kit for gy6 Engines, it fits PGO scoots perfect. Plus get some 11g or 10g slider weights and put those in. You will notice some more bottom and top end. Probably less bottom end, but there probably will be a change.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Yep, variator, kevlar belt and Dr.Pulley sliders are definitely on the list for my Blur (probably not til next spring thou). The pipe was my main concern thou, i mean i dont mind the stock one (other than it being the most sci-fi exhaust ive ever seen), but that Prima one just looks amazing, and im certain it will sound worlds better than the stock pipe as well. Id really like to see someone get this pipe installed and get a before and after sound clips up on youtube or something. If no one else gets one up, and all goes well with the warranty issues, ill definitely get a sound clip up, but that wont be for at least another few weeks til i get to the point i need my first service maintenance and can get the exhaust installed at the dealer.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I just finished installing a Dr. Pulley variator with 12 gram sliders in my Blur tonight. Took a quick test drive up and down my street and I can tell you the increase in accelleration is definitely there. I mean it is quick! :D I didn't think a 150cc bike could accellerate this fast.
I took plenty of pictures and will be doing a photo how-to as soon as I tweek the pictures for the web. Plus, I want to do some high speed tests first. Stay tuned! :D
bicyclerider

Post by bicyclerider »

keep us posted.
faster is more fun for sure.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Ok, talked to "my" dealer. Your results may vary, and I take no responsibility for the information I was provided.

From the information I was given, provided that the muffler is purchased from Scooterworks or thru your own dealer, installing the muffler itself will not void any of the warranty on the Blur whether you install it yourself or your dealer does. Keep in mind thou, even if it doesn't void the warranty, it will still technically be 100% completely illegal to run on the street since it is an "aftermarket" exhaust... so if you live in one of "those" neighborhoods with the tough guy cops, think twice on it.

Where the legality comes in from what I was told is when you start to modify the EPA ratings of the motor itself that you will get yourself into hot water with the muffler installed.

So basically, installing the muffler itself seems to be ok no matter who puts it on, but once you start messing with jetting the carbeurator to squeeze that extra power out of the shiny new exhaust, say bye bye to your factory warranty on the engine.

So where that puts "me" is hoping that 700ft above sea level in the Chicagoland area the factory jets are still inside tolerance with the new exhaust installed. What I was advised to do was just go ahead and mount up the exhaust after i get my first service done, and if the results are not satisfactory and I dont want to mess with the jets and void my warranty, just go back to stock for the time being. What I do with the exhaust would be up to me whether i sell it off or hang onto it until warranty is up.

Hope this information helps the rest of you looking into this exhaust.

Oh, and BTW, mine showed up at my doorstep when i was home at lunch break (the benefit of being one day ground ups from scooterworks). It is HOT! Looks better even than the pics do it justice. What looks like a huge melon launcher tip at the end, is actually not as big as it seems, and will look "just right" on the Blur. Also, comes with new fasteners and a head/header gasket for the new shiny header pipe.

Also, i guess from the way the service guy I talked to made it sound, variator, belts and sliders "shouldn't" void your warranty since they dont affect the EPA rating of the motor either.
jim_0068

Post by jim_0068 »

change the jet and just change it back when it goes in for warranty work ;)
Tiki torch

Post by Tiki torch »

Does anyone know how this compares to a MRP exhaust? I have done no after market changes but am curious how much bang for my buck I will get from new exhaust, weights and what ever else I can put on an already good ride.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Tiki torch wrote:Does anyone know how this compares to a MRP exhaust? I have done no after market changes but am curious how much bang for my buck I will get from new exhaust, weights and what ever else I can put on an already good ride.
It compares to the MRP by being another catless straight pipe option for the blur (and a much better looking one IMO), and comes in at about $150 less than the MRP out the door. Oh yea, and Scooterworks also gives you free candy in the box to pig out on while you admire your new purchase too...

You will see much quicker acceleration off the line, and a little less hesitiation at the top end of the powerband where the engine can breathe a little easier. New sliders/rollers of a lighter weight and racing variator kit will give you faster off the line acceleration, and a stronger clutch will give you quicker throttle response time, with a little more "grip" at higher rpms.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

So who's got one of these mounted up yet with pictures and sound clips to share? Im trying my best to keep the box closed and up on the shelf in my garage until I get first service done so I dont accidentally trip in the garage, grab hold of a socket wrench, and somehow end up installing the exhaust by the time i hit the ground...

Please share!!!!
AYBABTU

Post by AYBABTU »

Yes I did get it installed but have not had the time to take/post pics due to work. :( I'll state what I found. First, the Blur is waaayy lean from the factory. When I took my plug out for initial inspection before changing the jet size, the insulator and electrode were pure white (indicating a lean mixture and potentially higher(damaging) cylinder temps.) That being noted, I would not recommend installing the exhaust w/o changing the jetting! If you do, the added air flow will not get you any more power w/o adding more fuel, particularly in an engine this small. I replaced the stock 102 main jet to a 110. It seems to be perfect!--- There's no bog off the line and now my spark plug is a nice golden-tan color---not too rich, not too lean.

Now onto part 2. I decided to install the Dr. Pulley variator and 11gram Dr. Pulley slider weights. Not the right combo---the scoot just seem to rev like hell and run out of steam at 45mph. Upon inspection I noticed the Dr.Pulley variator face has quite a different pitch than the factory one. So I put the factory variator back on but still used the Dr. Pulley 11gram 'slider' weights. Yikes--pulled like snot and then just wailed and maxed out at about 50mph. Still determined, I took the variator apart again and installed the factory 13gram 'roller' weights in the Dr.Pulley variator and this is just sweet. It puts the engine right in the powerband of the new pipe and jetting. It could use a little more bottom end, so I guess Dr. Pulley 12gram slider weights would be perfect. But for now, my combination takes off slightly better than stock, but has waaaay more midrange pull and throttle response and about 3 mph's more on the top end.

As far as the sound---it reminds me of a 4 stroke dirt bike----bbbrrruuuwaaaaaa!!!

I'll try to get pics up by this weekend.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

AYBABTU wrote:Still determined, I took the variator apart again and installed the factory 13gram 'roller' weights in the Dr.Pulley variator and this is just sweet. It puts the engine right in the powerband of the new pipe and jetting. It could use a little more bottom end, so I guess Dr. Pulley 12gram slider weights would be perfect. But for now, my combination takes off slightly better than stock, but has waaaay more midrange pull and throttle response and about 3 mph's more on the top end.
Is this the magic formula?!? Prima Pipe, 110 Main, stock 13 gram roller weight in Dr Pulley Variator? :shock: We need independent confirmation. Soon!
AYBABTU

Post by AYBABTU »

jrsjr wrote:
AYBABTU wrote:Still determined, I took the variator apart again and installed the factory 13gram 'roller' weights in the Dr.Pulley variator and this is just sweet. It puts the engine right in the powerband of the new pipe and jetting. It could use a little more bottom end, so I guess Dr. Pulley 12gram slider weights would be perfect. But for now, my combination takes off slightly better than stock, but has waaaay more midrange pull and throttle response and about 3 mph's more on the top end.
Is this the magic formula?!? Prima Pipe, 110 Main, stock 13 gram roller weight in Dr Pulley Variator? :shock: We need independent confirmation. Soon!
It's just a start! Like I mentioned, I think the 12gram Dr. Pulley Slider would be even better. But I don't have the time right now to install it as I have several projects going on at work and have been riding the scooter religiously. I don't think there is 'one' "magic" combo for all riders. City only riders need that quick light-to-light acceleration that would come from a lower variator weight, where as in my case, I do need some highway-like top end at times on my commute to work and benefit by using a heavier weight. FYI-- I' 6'2"and 245lbs.---so this little engine is pushing 500+ pounds around total weight--that's impressive all by itself.

The combination will have different results for lighter/heavier riders and different elevations. This combo might work OK for someone in Chicago, but not for someone in Boulder. I still would recommend using the Dr. Pulley slider weight over the factory roller---you'll get gains on both the bottom and top ends compared to a roller of equal weight. It is just a great design and they are darn near impossible to wear out.

I said this is only a start because we haven't even addressed the back half of the equation/drivetrain------how about going to a 1500rpm contra spring?, or an adjustable spring weight clutch with lockout? Hmmmmmm, That would make it 'hit' better off the line............ :twisted:
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Don't worry guys, I will be able to help verify what a good setup is with the Prima pipe in the next couple weeks here...

I have my variator coming this week with either 11gr & 13gr sliders, or just one set of 12gr sliders depending on if sunlparts has the 13's in stock.
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

GFridrich3 wrote:Don't worry guys, I will be able to help verify what a good setup is with the Prima pipe in the next couple weeks here...

I have my variator coming this week with either 11gr & 13gr sliders, or just one set of 12gr sliders depending on if sunlparts has the 13's in stock.
Very much looking forward to your report - inquiring minds want to know (about Blur mods)! :D
AYBABTU

Post by AYBABTU »

I guess what I posted wasn't informative..? :shock:
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

AYBABTU wrote:I guess what I posted wasn't informative..? :shock:
No, it IS very informative, between you and Babblefish we have a good base. But every time someone else does a few hop-ups, it never hurts to throw in their own $0.02. Im just implying that I will let everyone know my setup and give my feedback on what I chose to go with. I ended up with one set of 12gr sliders afterall. I still have a couple weeks at this rate before i finish break-in and go for first service.
AYBABTU

Post by AYBABTU »

Pics as promised. Now that I have it set up the way I want it, it's time to sell it. The scoot is for sale at $2750 with all the goodies I mentioned above. I will list this in the FOR SALE area as well. It currently has 1765 BDU/miles on it, the Prima pipe, 110 carb main jet, Dr. Pulley variator w/13g weights, and just had it's oil and filter changed 100 miles ago using Rotella synthetic in the engine and Lucas gear oil for the diff.
Attachments
3_4 frontscale.JPG
3_4 frontscale.JPG (197.2 KiB) Viewed 4987 times
pipecloseweldscale.JPG
pipecloseweldscale.JPG (124.29 KiB) Viewed 4987 times
rear 3_4 pipescale.JPG
rear 3_4 pipescale.JPG (165.44 KiB) Viewed 4987 times
siderearscale.JPG
siderearscale.JPG (194.96 KiB) Viewed 4987 times
sidefullscale6.JPG
sidefullscale6.JPG (199.75 KiB) Viewed 4987 times
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

WOW :shock:

Now Im totally convinced I made the right choice with the Scooterworks exhaust. That black rack is totally boss too. Any advice on how you did that and how well the paint is actually sticking? Ill be mounting a Givi E30 once I finally get mine from them, so I dont mind the chrome, but it would be nice to paint it black to match the mounting plate for the top case. Im definitely thinking painting the tab on the muffler, and the "y" bracket flat black as well would be a good idea too.

Thanks for the pics, shame you are selling thou.
AYBABTU

Post by AYBABTU »

I never understood why they made a chrome rack for a scoot that doesn't have a lick of chrome on it? :? It makes it look like a generic slap-on rather than a factory made piece.

I did a light media blast of the rack in an effort to create a good surface for paint to adhere. It worked OK, as the chrome did chip in some places. I then hit it with a filler primer, sanded it, and then sprayed it satin black. It's holding up well with only a chip here or there. If you really wanted to make it solid, I would blast it down to bare metal and powdercoat it; but since you are mounting a case the paint method should work.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Yea, Im thinking more for the 4 mounts that will be exposed. Would just look cleaner to black them out. Im also thinkin the two posts for the windshield might look better black, but then I risk scratching it all off when i slip the windshield buttons back on.
AYBABTU

Post by AYBABTU »

GFridrich3 wrote:Yea, Im thinking more for the 4 mounts that will be exposed. Would just look cleaner to black them out. Im also thinkin the two posts for the windshield might look better black, but then I risk scratching it all off when i slip the windshield buttons back on.
I wanted to do that, but as you figured out---you'll never get the windshield buttons back on.....the tolerance between the post and button is very tight, the added layer of paint would make the post too large and the only way you might get it back on would just end up scratching the crap out of the paint. :(
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Other option Im thinking is to remove the windshield, but leave the buttons in place and paint them over right on the posts. Just leave the washers and hex head screws chrome on the front of the windshield, or maybe even just hit those with a light coat to match.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Just an update, but the time has FINALLY come for me to go in for first service! I get fixed up all good and stuff saturday morning, then its a quick jaunt back home to my Prima pipe and Dr. Pulley variator kit and 12gr. slider weights install day! I hope to do before/after video for sound clips of the prima pipe since it doesnt seem anyone out there has posted one yet.
ssauer2004

Post by ssauer2004 »

Where did you get the Dr. Pulley Slider weights?
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

eBay. $25 shipped. They even came in a nice round plastic container to hold the stock weights in for storage, not that cheesy cardboard blister pack you see in all the pictures at store websites.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Here we go boys, prima pipe installed on an 07 model. I had sound clips but they were done on my point and shoot camera and came out crappy, like stock, open header, and prima pipe all sounded essentially the same. I will say thou, the prima pipe has a very sweet note, and purrs like a kitten at idle and cruising, and just opens up when you twist the throttle. I also took the opportunity to install my Dr. Pulley variator kit and 12gr slider weights. I took it for a test ride, and was pleasantly surprised by the results. The scooter sounds good, and rides like butter. The throttle response is sooooooooo much smoother now, like modifying a car for performance, then getting the ecu retuned. For reference, i weight just under 180lbs, and the scooter revs at 8k rpms on the Dr. Pulley variator kit with 12gr. sliders when i twist her open to accelerate. I have no clue if I need to re-jet or not, ill give it a few days and check the spark plug to see what color it is. I have the 105 and 110 jets just in case, but i really dont want to use them if I dont have to since I was told i would be safe with my warranty if i leave the stock carb alone. Anyways, onto the pics:

illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Am I the only person in the world that thinks the stock Buddy and Blur pipes look better than the aftermarket stuff?

Bb.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Looks good! :)
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

illnoise wrote:Am I the only person in the world that thinks the stock Buddy and Blur pipes look better than the aftermarket stuff?

Bb.
Chrome Hater :P
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

I like the stock Buddy pipe, but the Blur one is just wayyyy too out of this world, i.e. science fiction space craft, for me. I really think the stainless tube with the slash cut tip gives the scooter a slightly more sporty and conventional sportbike look.

Oh yea, and also, i got my first service done this morning, the service guy actually filled it up with synthetic! Im very happy that I dont have to worry about switching over at my next first DIY oil change. The dealer cost for the quart of synthetic was actually $1 cheaper than the quart I bought at the auto parts store for when the time comes!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

GFridrich3 wrote:Im very happy that I dont have to worry about switching over at my next first DIY oil change.
Did he do anything to make sure all the dino was out first? I doubt it. We're too paranoid about that kinda stuff. : )

Bb.

Post by 360 »

illnoise wrote:Am I the only person in the world that thinks the stock Buddy and Blur pipes look better than the aftermarket stuff?

Bb.
No, you're not... I also thought I was the only one. I wish they had a black (or carbon filter like babblefish said) pipe.

But I do think the chrome pipe looks pretty good on the grey 07's....not quite as much on the orange 06's (like I have).

...still I've always liked the fact that the blur pipes look "all way out" weird.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

360 wrote:

Bb.
No, you're not... I also thought I was the only one. I wish they had a black (or carbon filter like babblefish said) pipe.

But I do think the chrome pipe looks pretty good on the grey 07's....not quite as much on the orange 06's (like I have).

...still I've always liked the fact that the blur pipes look "all way out" weird.
You can have your black or CF muffler. You just have to buy an MRP Blur/GMax exhaust kit, and then buy the additional slip-on muffler of your choice. Its hella pricey to go that route, but it IS available. I guess you could always sell off the kit muffler to recoup some cost. But you gotta admit, for around $250 shipped for the Prima pipe, is an awesome deal.

Also, i finally got to fire my Blur up next to my buddies Suzuki Boulevard S83, and this Blur pipe sounds pretty much just like his stock exhaust, albeit a lot quieter since i have like 1/10th the displacement he does. But it DOES sound all billy-badass-biker, and not so much like a sally-scooter-lawnmower anymore.