Gas Leak/Overflow

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sabcrazy13

Gas Leak/Overflow

Post by sabcrazy13 »

Filled up my girlfriends' Buddy 125 with fuel, i did not overfill the tank so that it spilled and left between 1/4 and 1/2 inch to the fuel level below the cap of the tank. but when the scooter was moved, some fuel spilled out from directly above the oil dip stick cap. i am not sure where the overflow tube is located but have a hunch that the fuel may have been spilling over into the overflow tube.

also if the bike is running the bike doesn't leak and then may start leaking again when stopped...

going to try and ride it tonight after work to lower the fuel level,
I will update after that.

anyone with any insight or experience in this issue, please let me know if my hunch is correct ofr if i should take the scooter to authorized repair for examination....

Stephen
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Me thinks you did overfill it. Only fill up to the "collar" inside the tank, the one with little holes on each side. Anything above that and (with expansion) you will most likely get some coming out the tube.
My Buddy125

Post by My Buddy125 »

Winter blend fuel really expands in the heat on a warm day or as engine heat warms the tank. I have had this problem. The tank needs to be left lots of room for expansion.
sabcrazy13

Post by sabcrazy13 »

thanks for the help, i rode it this evening to burn off a little more fuel, put it on the center stand and shook it pretty hard....

no leaking... just need to leave more room from the fuel cap to the fuel level in the tank...

Safe travels to all

Stephen
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Sounds like it may be okay now. I you or your girlfriend experience any stalling or choppy/slugging running there may be gas backed up into the filter for the evap air system or may have backed up into the air filter. Let us know and we can give you some help!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
sabcrazy13

Post by sabcrazy13 »

thanks ericalm, ill luk if i need some additional assistance. on my ride today, it performed as expected, smoothly, no roughness, no sputtering... so yeah i may have inadvertently sabotaged her first group ride by over filling and then having it leak just before departure... lol.

PS, when is the next LASG ride, might it be a good one for her
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

sabcrazy13 wrote:thanks ericalm, ill luk if i need some additional assistance. on my ride today, it performed as expected, smoothly, no roughness, no sputtering... so yeah i may have inadvertently sabotaged her first group ride by over filling and then having it leak just before departure... lol.

PS, when is the next LASG ride, might it be a good one for her
January 4th. If you're signed up, I'll be posting tomorrow and the invites will go out.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…