Malossi Brakes for Buddy 50, Sintered or Not Sintered?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

anton walbrook

Malossi Brakes for Buddy 50, Sintered or Not Sintered?

Post by anton walbrook »

I am about out of brake pads, and I was looking at the Malossi ones for the Buddy 50, and there are two, one is sintered and the other isn't. What's the difference? Which one is better to replace the stock pads with? Also, do the Malossi rear shoes for the Buddy make a lot of difference? It goes fast, and I want it to stop fast too without locking up.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Sintered pads are made with powered metal and provide aggressive stopping power. One downside is that some sintered pads are race-specific and work best when warmed up; this would be less than ideal for street use. The other potential pitfall on sintered pads is that they're hard on the brake rotors; hardened steel rotors are recommended for use with sintered pads.

From personal experience, I've installed EBC "HH" sintered pads on my Kymco Yager. They're copper-alloy pads and while rated as highest-performance, don't seem quite as aggressive as full-on racing pads. They're quiet and offer a good range of braking effort. I haven't found the lockup point on the front rotor yet, but I have fully compressed the forks and heard a bit of scrubbing from the tire while nearly pulling a stoppie...I think the tire was the limiting factor there. I'm happy with the stopping power. The rotors are showing markedly more wear, but there are no grooves or ridges detectable with a finger (> .007 inch). I have about 2500 miles on this setup so far and I'd recommend the pads.

#800!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
anton walbrook

Post by anton walbrook »

Thanks for that. I thought about getting the Malossi Whoop disk too, but mine seems fine, so I think I'll get the regular Malossi pads instead of the sintered ones.