Stella Switching Unit

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

climbamt

Stella Switching Unit

Post by climbamt »

Hey All,

Just picked up an 03 Stella. It had a blown headlight that I replaced and blew both side of the bulb in a short period of time. it will be running and there will be a brief flash and no light.... I need to check the voltage regulator first but did not have my multimeter....

I have done some searching and it often seems like the switching unit causes issues. Anyone have any long term first hand info on whether it is OK or not to remove it from the electrical system. I plan on running a battery in the Scoot. Here is what I found about removing the Switching unit...

The way to by past the switching module is the following:

Either take te grey wire (AC power) and connnect it to the purple wire (pilot and tail lights). This will cause both lights to run when the motor is running.

Alternatively you can take the orange wire (DC power) and connect it to the purple wire. This will allow both tail and pilot lights to come on when the key is turned on but motor not running.

I have heard that it causes the electrical unit to fail in 6 or so months. I have also heard that it is OK..... What is the long term consensus? Or any other avenues I should check?

Here are a couple of pictures before and where she is now.

Here is a link to a write up I have been doing over at the Adventure Riders forum... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=939911

Many Thanks!
Attachments
After Plasti-Dip
After Plasti-Dip
Stella 2.jpg (172.98 KiB) Viewed 436 times
When I got her...
When I got her...
stella 1.jpeg (196.41 KiB) Viewed 436 times
05 Vespa GT200
03 Genuine Stella 2T
05 Kymco People 150
03 Kymco People 50
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

So far, it seems like the switching unit just about never has a problem.

Your headlamp current is AC and does not pass through the unit.

Rob