My buddy won't start!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Ninjasurfergirl

My buddy won't start!

Post by Ninjasurfergirl »

Hey guys,

I just moved from Georgia to New York, and now my Buddy50 won't start. The engine just won't turn over, brand new this year. Was the trailer ride too much for her? She had some fuel in her, the plan was to ride the day before the move til she had no more fuel but my lovely fiancé didn't follow the packing schedule so we were packing alllllll day! I wonder if her fuel got in places it wasn't supposed to? Or could it just be that it was 12 degrees outside and she had been sitting in the trailer in the cold weather for 3 days? She sounds like she's really trying to start but the engine just won't turn. I feel so bad for my poor baby, anyone have any idea what it could be?

Thanks!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Will the engine turn over but not start, or when you hit the starter button, does nothing happen at all?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Ninjasurfergirl

The engine acts like its About to start, but never does. Kick starter won't work either. Like it's trying to start.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Fuel is a bit sour (old) and temp is too low......wait a few days...like 40 degrees and try again.....might consider charging the battery while waiting to give it a head start.

Rob
TVB

Post by TVB »

Yeah, sounds like a weak battery, which is not surprising given the environmental conditions. The past week the starter on my car has been having progressively more trouble turning it over, so I wouldn't be surprised that a scooter battery that's been sitting in frigid conditions isn't quite up to it.
Ninjasurfergirl

Today was 45 degrees and she started right up, felt a little sluggish at first but riding great! So relieved that it was just the cold, it's my first winter with her!
tspinning

Glad to hear its going, welcome to brave cold north!

Post by tspinning »

I've been riding my first winter on a scoot and have had a few very cold days where the starter doesn't do anything. Sometimes it makes noise but it won't start up. My solution has been try a couple electric starts (1-2 seconds) then a couple kick starts (which typically don't get it fired up) they often feel difficult (0-10 degrees outside the other week, I imagine fuel and oil were a bit thick). The next electric start will usually get it going, and I have to carefully feather throttle to keep it alive for a few moments, then 1-2 min on her own to warm up and off I go.

Watch out for ice on the turns though.. took me out today :(
Stinkdyr

Post by Stinkdyr »

If your kickstarter lever feels very stiff/grindy in very cold weather, I strongly advise removing the belt cover on the next warm day you get and cleaning then greasing all gears and moving parts of the kickstarter mechanism. I would guess these parts come under-greased from the factory, and then proceed to get bunged up with dirt from there on.