Checking RPMs?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

slotrod65

Checking RPMs?

Post by slotrod65 »

It is winter, and I am bored... So I have been reading my Stella 4T service manual. It discusses setting the rpms at a certain level. How does one check this on a 4T? Since I will be doing a full service myself, and adding a GPR exhaust in the spring (including all of the associated carb jetting adjustments), I would like to be able t set the rpms with some accuracy.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Try one of these little guys:

http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/tto

I've used/them on my mopeds and an Elite 80 with good results.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

What AZ said
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
viney266

Post by viney266 »

yup, great little unit, I use their CHT too. No complaints.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I know you like to go classy, so an analog tach might be in order:

http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/koso/sh ... hometer-4/

Could just mount it through the glove box.

To go even spendier, and get more mod cred...it's made in the UK!

http://www.scitsu.co.uk/docs/main.htm

http://www.scitsu.com/
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Thanks to all who replied. However, I think I may have asked the wrong question...

I am not looking for a tach to mount on the scooter, but rather a tach testing tool I can use when tuning the scoot. Something I can then put back in the shed when I am not testing.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Ah. The Trailtech can do that as well. Batteries last a long time in those and it's easy to wind/unwind the lead from the spark plug wire. Cheaper than most diagnostic tachs too. I used to move my last one from bike to bike when tuning (until the bike it was being used on got stolen).

slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Thanks guys, I ordered a Trailtech.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Ah the youth of today....never used a tach and dwell meter for a tune up.

Oh the days of adjusting the dwell through the little window in the cap and turning the distributor for timing and making sure the rotor wasn't fried.

www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

BuddyRaton wrote:Ah the youth of today....never used a tach and dwell meter for a tune up.
Very funny, "gramps". While the added convenience of the slip on inductive jaw is nice, the dwell function isn't as useful for CDI ignition systems. Besides, if you were really hardcore,you'd make a feeler gauge from a strip of pop-can aluminum to set your points. :wink:

Remember kids, the stock ignition timing on a `71 VW AE-series dual port motor is 7.5° BTDC. :lol:

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

az_slynch wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:Ah the youth of today....never used a tach and dwell meter for a tune up.
Very funny, "gramps". While the added convenience of the slip on inductive jaw is nice, the dwell function isn't as useful for CDI ignition systems. Besides, if you were really hardcore,you'd make a feeler gauge from a strip of pop-can aluminum to set your points. :wink:

Remember kids, the stock ignition timing on a `71 VW AE-series dual port motor is 7.5° BTDC. :lol:
Pop can...too much work however folded "cigarette" paper works fine!:mrgreen:
www.teamscootertrash.com

az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

BuddyRaton wrote: Pop can...too much work however folded "cigarette" paper works fine!:mrgreen:
Thanks for the tip, but the I leave the smoking to my scooter. Gotta go with what I know. :wink:

Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Because I like new toys, even though I too still have a inductive tach/dwell meter, I went over to Harbor Freight (aka Chinese Junk Shop) and picked up a (On sale mind you) strobe tachometer.

Kinda cool.....you put a piece of reflective tape (supplied) on the outermost area of the flywheel, fire it up and aim the strobe at it.

Dead nuts accurate and small enouph to not crowd the toolbox much worse than it was.

Rob