Seat latch problems

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

TVB

Seat latch problems

Post by TVB »

The arctic weather is back where it belongs (the Arctic), and the roads, the sky, and my virus-infected sinuses all finally cleared this afternoon, so I went for a short because-I-can ride. But when I got home, I couldn't re-open the pet carrier to stow my helmet. I can push and turn the key, and sometimes I hear something click quietly under the seat roughly where the latch is, which tells me the cable isn't broken. But it doesn't open.

Turning the key to release position and pulling up on the seat doesn't free it. Turning the key to release position and pushing down on the seat doesn't free it. Turning the key to release position and jiggling the seat from side to size doesn't free it. The scooter is back inside where it's warm, so it isn't frozen.

I know there's a super-secret method for opening the seat without the key, but since I never put my keys in the pet carrier, and also have a spare, I've never bothered to learn what it is. Any chance it would work in this situation? If so, please PM me with instructions. I'm also not averse to sacrificing a small farm animal.

Otherwise, I do have enough gas in the tank to get me to the nearest Genuine shop (which will have to wait until some other week, as the forecast for tomorrow and beyond calls for more snow). But I'd rather fix this myself... now... y'know?
TVB

Post by TVB »

I've been told the standard method for bypassing the key, but it doesn't get me anywhere. The cable's moving, but the latch isn't releasing.
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

Could it be that the cable just isn't moving enough to cause it to unlatch? That is what has happened to me in the past. One thing to try is to be lifting on the back of the seat while turning the key. The pressure on the latch will sometimes cause it to release. Also another thing is if you take of the front there is a copper barrel nut with a lock nut behind it that can be extended/or tightened. It adjusts the length/tension on the cable.

Someone posted a picture of it on here in one of the post when they discovered it.
MB #2349
TVB

Post by TVB »

Adjusting the tension of the cable under the hood got it to release. Thanks for the suggestion!

I still need to pull up on the back of the seat (while the key is turned) to get it to fully unlatch (it doesn't pop up on its own like it used to), so I'm guessing there's still something not quite right in the mechanism, which caused it to stop opening. But at least now I can get under the seat and refuel the bike, if needed before I can get it in for a more thorough repair.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Perhaps a bit if graphite might make the catch actuate a bit more easily? Plus, it'll be cold tolerant. Same stuff they sell for car locks when they get sticky.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
TVB

Post by TVB »

az_slynch wrote:Perhaps a bit if graphite might make the catch actuate a bit more easily? Plus, it'll be cold tolerant. Same stuff they sell for car locks when they get sticky.
I'll give it a try. WD-40 (which I had handy) didn't have any effect.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Personally I have a love hate relationship with WD-40. Despite what it says on the can I never use it as a lubricant...it gets sticky with time. I do use it for what it was made for...water displacement. After freezing parts to install they tend to get wet from condensation. I hit them with a hair dryer and then WD-40 to displace any water.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
tspinning

Similar issue- cable adjust fixed it

Post by tspinning »

I had a similar issue on my 2013 Buddy 125. Wasn't even at 300 miles and when I took it in the guys found the cable needed adjustment (tension). Once done it has been working better than ever.