Electric vs kick start

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DoubleD

Electric vs kick start

Post by DoubleD »

How many ignore the electric start on your Buddy and use the kick start? Seems a better way to go if you ride a lot of short trips. I got into the habit when my battery was low and after replacing just kept using it. I'm surprised at how many people say, "Oh wow, that has a kick start? How cool!"
TVB

Post by TVB »

I stick to the electric start (except when it doesn't work), figuring 1) it's easier, and 2) it's gotta be less wear-and-tear on the hardware than kicking it every day.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

I can think of several modern scooters that I had wished had a kick start! R
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

One of the reasons I chose this scoot was for the back-up kickstarter. Only use it as back-up tho.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

My saddle bags make it difficult to use the kick start. I use electric start unless there is a dead battery or something. I'm glad there is a kick start lever on my Buddy.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Skippy

Electric vs Kickstart

Post by Skippy »

I just tried my kickstart for the first time yesterday because my electric start isn't working, but couldn't get the kickstart to work either. Thought I'd run it by MB. Scoot has only 500 miles on it and I ride it usually only on the weekends. It's hooked up to a battery tender and has gas so don't know why it won't start. Had it serviced at 300 miles and has been running fine since I bought it a little over a year ago. Any ideas before I haul it to the dealer for a warranty check?
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

is your killswitch on??
make sure you squeeze the brake while you kick start just like when you use the electric start.
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
TVB

Post by TVB »

theemptythrone wrote:make sure you squeeze the brake while you kick start just like when you use the electric start.
That isn't necessary. Since the only way you would be kickstarting the scooter is with it on the center stand, there is no interlock requiring one of the brakes to be held. It only disables the electric starter (which is commonly used with both wheels on the ground, requiring the safety precaution).

The 50cc model does require that the throttle be held open a little for successful kickstarting. I haven't heard the same about the 125/150 engine ... but it's worth a try.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TVB wrote:
theemptythrone wrote:make sure you squeeze the brake while you kick start just like when you use the electric start.
That isn't necessary. Since the only way you would be kickstarting the scooter is with it on the center stand, there is no interlock requiring one of the brakes to be held. It only disables the electric starter (which is commonly used with both wheels on the ground, requiring the safety precaution).

The 50cc model does require that the throttle be held open a little for successful kickstarting. I haven't heard the same about the 125/150 engine ... but it's worth a try.
Not held open — you might flood it — but it needs some gas to start.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:Not held open — you might flood it — but it needs some gas to start.
Which is why I said "a little". :)
Skippy

electric vs kickstart

Post by Skippy »

Kill switch not on. Engine sounds like it wants to start but just won't. Since it's under warranty and RA, guess I'll have the dealer worry about it. Thanks for replies.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

My battery is at the point it needs to be replaced, so I have been kick starting to get the beast going. The few times that I was able to use the electric made me feel self conscious, as if I was taking the easy way out by using it.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
ggs34

battery back up

Post by ggs34 »

i know some of you know you need to have some battery power to get the cdi to work
is there some kind of back up battery out there for some of us with no kick stater
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

My vision for the fuel-injected 170s: First swap out the stock CVT cover for a 125/150 cover with a kicker fitted. Then fab a little 12v battery pack to plug into the 12v jack on the leg shield, enough juice to run the fuel pump and computer for a minute or two. Keep it tucked in the pet carrier for emergencies.

Think it'd work?
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Stinkdyr

Post by Stinkdyr »

My experience over the last year says to replace your dead/dying battery asap. Too much kickstarting will: 1. Eventually grind up your worm-gear that your kick lever half-moon gear engages. If you are using it for more than 3 months, I suggest you pull off the side belt cover, clean and re-grease the gears and all parts of the kickstarter mechanism. 2. Operating your scoot with a dead batt for too long might fry your stator. That happened to me, I think.

Also, not using your electric starter for awhile allows corrosion to attack the two metal contact points behind the yellow plastic electric start button. If nothing happens at all when you press the yellow button, and you know your battery is good, suspect this switch first....before the starter motor. You can pull that assembly apart, fine sandpaper the metal contacts, apply some electrolytic grease, reassemble, should be ok.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I use the kickstart when ever my battery doesn't want to work...but then get a new battery asap. Usually my kickstart works, but sometimes it does not, and I wouldn't want to depend on it working when I'm not at home....
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

Just be aware if you kick your scooter a lot. My electric start died last summer and I was going to wait until the weather warmed up before I fixed it so I had been exclusively using the kickstart.

About a month ago, the kick start locked up on me and wouldn't go down at all. With both starts failed, I had to have the thing towed.

It turns out, if you use the kick start a lot, the lube starts to wear off and it needs to be occasionally regreased. If you think your kickstart is feeling a bit rough, get that re lubed before the gears lock up.