Afterfiring. Bad for the engine?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lostcause

Afterfiring. Bad for the engine?

Post by Lostcause »

My Stella appears to be afterfiring. Is that bad for the engine or can I ride it for a while until I can get it in for service?
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

If you're going down a hill at maybe 35 or 40 mph, and you hit the kill switch for a bit while keeping WOT and then release the kill switch - that's usually bad for the exhaust.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Afterfire is a situation were unburned fuel is ignited in the exaust system.
In general, it is an indicator of a loose exaust allowing air into the system between exaust strokes.
It does no harm to the engine itself.

On Stella, it usually is an indicator of the exaust pipe has cracked somewhere.....seems to be a material flaw as a few members have had repeated failures.

Rob
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Now is this the same cat who just had kill switch problems cause it sat out in the rain??
And his dealer 'fixed' it??
could be that it's now intermittently killing as he's riding it causing some 'after' firing??

Possible?? maybe..
good luck

Ps... I just read that you had the gianelli pipe put on from day 1... and you said said that you never rode it csuse it sat in the rain for 2 days?
Maybe the thing is backfiring from day 1 since someone put on your new pipe.
Did they re jet your carb?
Lots of possibilities now!
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Robbie wrote:Afterfire is a situation were unburned fuel is ignited in the exaust system.
In general, it is an indicator of a loose exaust allowing air into the system between exaust strokes.
It does no harm to the engine itself.

On Stella, it usually is an indicator of the exaust pipe has cracked somewhere.....seems to be a material flaw as a few members have had repeated failures.

Rob
This, and didn't you post immediately before this that you JUST had a new pipe installed?