Stellauto just around the corner

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jmp111181

Stellauto just around the corner

Post by jmp111181 »

Got word from the dealer that my Stellauto should be arriving within two weeks, they've finally cleared customs and inspection. So stoked! The winter weather seems to have passed here in NOLA, so I'm looking forward to a beautiful spring of scooting around town!
Attachments
stella.jpg
stella.jpg (47.22 KiB) Viewed 3001 times
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Excellent. I've got mine on order here in Houston. Are you going to participate in Amerivespa this year?
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

Ugh... that red is amazing. Now if I could just get it on a 200cc shifty...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'll be riding one in a few weeks. Pretty stoked. We're going to try to do a 2T/4T/Auto comparison by having all in one place. Should be fun!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

ericalm wrote:I'll be riding one in a few weeks. Pretty stoked. We're going to try to do a 2T/4T/Auto comparison by having all in one place. Should be fun!
I'm looking forward to the comparison. I hope you make it as scientific as possible since a good deal of "comparisons" involve too many variables.
jmp111181

Post by jmp111181 »

Elder Scoot wrote:Excellent. I've got mine on order here in Houston. Are you going to participate in Amerivespa this year?
TBH, didn't know anything about it until you mentioned it. I'm a new scooterist. This looks awesome though. If I'm not out of town with my band, I'll definitely be there!
jmp111181

Post by jmp111181 »

jrstone wrote:Ugh... that red is amazing. Now if I could just get it on a 200cc shifty...
I really love the color. Once I've had it for a bit, planning to add some whitewalls, crash bars, cowl protectors, bumper protectors, front and back racks. Love the look of a chromed-out scoot.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Elder Scoot wrote:
ericalm wrote:I'll be riding one in a few weeks. Pretty stoked. We're going to try to do a 2T/4T/Auto comparison by having all in one place. Should be fun!
I'm looking forward to the comparison. I hope you make it as scientific as possible since a good deal of "comparisons" involve too many variables.
Virtually impossible, really, in real-world conditions. There's no way to control many of those variables outside of getting three fresh bikes and testing under stricter conditions. Different riders, different ages of scooters, not all broken in and maintained the same. It's a purely subjective comparison.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

ericalm wrote:
Elder Scoot wrote:
Virtually impossible, really, in real-world conditions. There's no way to control many of those variables outside of getting three fresh bikes and testing under stricter conditions. Different riders, different ages of scooters, not all broken in and maintained the same. It's a purely subjective comparison.

I concur.
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

When and where? I've got a 4T twisty I can bring to this subjective scientific experiment.
BuddyBliss

Post by BuddyBliss »

The new colors are gorgeous, it's exciting to see Stella looking so glamorous. I can't wait to hear how it performs, I want to try one!
Suzy
Cheeky Seats
toot

Where???

Post by toot »

Hey Eric , where are you doing this comparison?? Maybe I come see.. Terri
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

My dealer, Vespa Marietta, says he has a shipment due in this coming week.
Will be down there for some other servicing and hope to see one in person.
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

My dealer, Vespa Marietta, says he has a shipment due in this coming week.
Will be down there for some other servicing and hope to see one in person. :wink:
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

I'm taking delivery of my automatic this afternoon.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Vespa Marietta got 3 in yesterday. They are servicing my TGB/hack this week and I intend to check them out when I go down to pick up the rig. :wink:
suzfabulous

Stella Automatic #235

Post by suzfabulous »

My new automatic Stella arrived at Scoot About in Seattle on Wednesday and I got to take look and get some pictures as they were taking it out of the crate. Hoping to ride it this weekend and take delivery next week. I like the special limited edition plaque, nice touch. Mine is #235 out of 300.

I also have a 2005 Stella, not sure if I'll keep her or not. We'll see how much fun the automatic is!
Elder Scoot

Re: Stella Automatic #235

Post by Elder Scoot »

suzfabulous wrote:My new automatic Stella arrived at Scoot About in Seattle on Wednesday and I got to take look and get some pictures as they were taking it out of the crate. Hoping to ride it this weekend and take delivery next week. I like the special limited edition plaque, nice touch. Mine is #235 out of 300.

I also have a 2005 Stella, not sure if I'll keep her or not. We'll see how
much fun the automatic is!
------------------------------

I took delivery today and my bike is # 167 of the series. I ordered mine in black metallic (metal flake). My main ride is a BMW 650 scooter - so it's hard to make a comparison other than to say my Stella automatic is really fun to ride with a better suspension than I had anticipated.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I will take a look at them when I pick up my sidecar rig next week and get
a performance muffler put on my 170I at Vespa Marietta. Floyd Grimm got
his shipment last week and likes them. :)
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

I took delivery yesterday. My bike is # 167 of a series of 300. I'm not sure whether that means it is special other than it has a plate that says so. I ordered mine in black metallic (metal flake) to match my BMW. This undoubtedly will confuse those who think all scooters are the same.

The fit and finish are good. Not as good as Vespa - but then the bike only cost me $3200.00 plus TT&L. It's hard to judge performance since most of my other bikes have been 300 c.c. +. It is peppy however but needs to loosen up a bit. There are no rattles or squeaks and the motor sounds solid. It starts right away and does not vibrate. The bike is well balanced and there is no discernible lean since the newly designed motor is a vertically oriented single centrally located and located more towards the front of the bike. The brakes are adequate and do not squeal. My Stella automatic is really fun to ride and has a better suspension than I had anticipated.

It's raining this morning so I will install the goodies that have been sitting in boxes in the garage.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Youtube Video or it didn't happen!!! :D
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Very nice! Im glad you guys are finally getting your bikes. Keep us updated with stories and pictures and any problems you've encountered. Also
Tell us how much we should expect to pay from a (st)dealer.
Thanks
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

An important feature I forgot to mention is the center stand. There had been complaints on the European models that it was hard to get the bike onto the center stand. This new stand operates from back under the engine as opposed to the normal location. It is very much like a motorcycle stand in appearance (as opposed to legs on a metal lawn chair). You simply step onto it and the bike lifts easily into position. You do not need to use any arm strength. Good going LML.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

An important feature I forgot to mention is the center stand. There had been complaints on the European models that it was hard to get the bike onto the center stand. This new stand operates from back under the engine as opposed to the normal location. It is very much like a motorcycle stand in appearance (as opposed to legs on a metal lawn chair). You simply step onto it and the bike lifts easily into position. You do not need to use any arm strength. Good going LML.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Here's my take on it. It's actually much better than I thought that it would be.

All you need to know about Stella 125 Automatic (and then some).
http://www.examiner.com/article/scoot-d ... TpNpZ.dpuf
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Rippinyarn wrote:Here's my take on it. It's actually much better than I thought that it would be.

All you need to know about Stella 125 Automatic (and then some).
http://www.examiner.com/article/scoot-d ... TpNpZ.dpuf
I agree with you.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I was out riding with Rippinyarn in Chicago, then braved the cold yesterday for a longer ride. I'm very pleased and surprised by this scooter.

Anyone who thinks it's "just" a CVT crammed under the cowls of a Stella will be surprised. It's well engineered, with many features that take it a step above what I expected. I'll give a more thorough rundown when I get back home.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

ericalm wrote:I was out riding with Rippinyarn in Chicago, then braved the cold yesterday for a longer ride. I'm very pleased and surprised by this scooter.

Anyone who thinks it's "just" a CVT crammed under the cowls of a Stella will be surprised. It's well engineered, with many features that take it a step above what I expected. I'll give a more thorough rundown when I get back home.
I'm looking forward to your impressions. The only other Stella I had ridden was a ratted-out 2T with a expansion chamber.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Here's a picture of my new Stella. I took off the plastic "Stella" stickers on the cowls for a cleaner look and installed a Cuppini windshield

I did not include my BMW Sport in the picture because it is the same color as the Stella and I didn't want anyone to get confused.
Attachments
Stella 125.JPG
Stella 125.JPG (166.85 KiB) Viewed 2658 times
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

very nice.. hey, I hear that there were some sort of louvers under the LEGSHIELDS??? what?? what's that all about?? Can you show us pictures of these legsield louvers? thanks.
Lets see photos of others members here their bike too!
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jimmbomb wrote:very nice.. hey, I hear that there were some sort of louvers under the LEGSHIELDS??? what?? what's that all about?? Can you show us pictures of these legsield louvers? thanks.
Lets see photos of others members here their bike too!
There's a channel under the legshields that feeds up to the engine. There are louvers on the top of the rear fender, too now. Airflow is a big thing with this model.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Are those louvers metal or plastic?

Edit - I mean those channels under the legshields - plastic or metal?
Last edited by RoaringTodd on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
clayjo

Post by clayjo »

Thanks to all on this forum and on examiner.com and scooterfile.com for providing such great material and editorials on the recent StellaAuto launch.

I'm about to purchase my first Stella next week and I'm still deciding between a nicely discounted $$$ 4T or a new StellaAuto. Still yet to 'test ride' them both, but after all the reading and research, I may be leaning to the new auto version with many more modern upgrades and what seems to be less time and $ spent servicing.
Last edited by clayjo on Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clayjo

Post by clayjo »

Does anybody know if changing the rear tire on a new StellaAuto at all compromised or more difficult than before?
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

RoaringTodd wrote:Are those louvers metal or plastic?

Edit - I mean those channels under the legshields - plastic or metal?
Metal.
jmp111181

Post by jmp111181 »

Still waiting on mine down here in NOLA. Actually, get it in Mississippi, but that's neither here nor there. Was hoping to get it this weekend, but I'm actually going to be in Houston with my band. Speaking of Houston, ElderScoot, how are you liking it so far? The only disappointment I have thus far upon reading all the reviews and news is the lack of spare tire on the cowl.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

jmp111181 wrote:Still waiting on mine down here in NOLA. Actually, get it in Mississippi, but that's neither here nor there. Was hoping to get it this weekend, but I'm actually going to be in Houston with my band. Speaking of Houston, ElderScoot, how are you liking it so far? The only disappointment I have thus far upon reading all the reviews and news is the lack of spare tire on the cowl.
From what I've read (someplace) the front and rear tires are the same but not the hubs - so one wheel would not fit both the front and rear application. Thus, all intents and purposes you would have to carry two spares.

I like the bike a lot so far. It's very easy to get around on and fun to ride.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

The hubs are different, but the wheels are the same - they use the same rim mounting holes and are of course the same size. If you can use the front wheel of a 4-T with the disk brake in the back, then you can do it on a Stella 125 Automatic. Remember that you are just changing the "ring" of steel split rim and tube/tire.

It's a great scoot. I can't wait to hear what my "shifty only" friends have to say...
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
days-like-this

repair bulletin for pinched fuel lines?

Post by days-like-this »

I'm new here but have been reading all I can.

I put a deposit on a Stella Auto 3 weeks ago. Dealer called and said two arrived last Saturday. They built up a cream one for me and it is Unit 196 of 300 :D However, they also have the electric blue there in case I change my mind...

They did say there was a bulletin issued yesterday or today which indicated a repair that needed to be done to fuel lines getting pinched. Anyone else heard of this yet?

Also, the dealer confirmed the low profile seat won't fit this model so at 5'4" I'm looking for options in case it is a bit high.

LOVED seeing all the pics!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Congrats on your new Stella. Cramped fuel lines have been an issue with earlier models also. :wink:
Elder Scoot

Re: repair bulletin for pinched fuel lines?

Post by Elder Scoot »

days-like-this wrote:I'm new here but have been reading all I can.

I put a deposit on a Stella Auto 3 weeks ago. Dealer called and said two arrived last Saturday. They built up a cream one for me and it is Unit 196 of 300 :D However, they also have the electric blue there in case I change my mind...

They did say there was a bulletin issued yesterday or today which indicated a repair that needed to be done to fuel lines getting pinched. Anyone else heard of this yet?

Also, the dealer confirmed the low profile seat won't fit this model so at 5'4" I'm looking for options in case it is a bit high.

LOVED seeing all the pics!

The fuel line needs to be shortened to avoid kinking. It's easily done by the dealer. I've got #167. Genuine is performing the fuel line repair on it's inventory. Your prize for having a "First Edition" is doing the repair at the dealership. It's a great bike and fun to ride.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Rippinyarn wrote:The hubs are different, but the wheels are the same - they use the same rim mounting holes and are of course the same size. If you can use the front wheel of a 4-T with the disk brake in the back, then you can do it on a Stella 125 Automatic. Remember that you are just changing the "ring" of steel split rim and tube/tire.

It's a great scoot. I can't wait to hear what my "shifty only" friends have to say...
Thanks. It will take a little time for me to adjust my thinking to the unique mechanics of this bike. I never had wheels like these before. :?
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Elder Scoot wrote:
Rippinyarn wrote:The hubs are different, but the wheels are the same - they use the same rim mounting holes and are of course the same size. If you can use the front wheel of a 4-T with the disk brake in the back, then you can do it on a Stella 125 Automatic. Remember that you are just changing the "ring" of steel split rim and tube/tire.

Thanks. It will take a little time for me to adjust my thinking to the unique mechanics of this bike. I never had wheels like these before. :?
This the answer I received on the British LML forum:

Well, as far as I have seen on my auto, the rims are the same. So basically you *could* interchange wheels.

But in contrast to the original Vespa PX or the geared LML the rear wheel is mounted from the opposite side, so the direction of rotation would be different to the front wheel. This will be a problem since the tires are constructed for only one direction of rotation. You would have to carry 2 spare wheels to be on the safe side.

Anyway I never experienced any punctures with my scoots - there aren't that many horses on the streets anymore that lose their nails. Best is, as said in a post before, to have a spare tube with you and let it get fixed by some service if it really happens.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Elder Scoot wrote:This the answer I received on the British LML forum:

Well, as far as I have seen on my auto, the rims are the same. So basically you *could* interchange wheels.

But in contrast to the original Vespa PX or the geared LML the rear wheel is mounted from the opposite side, so the direction of rotation would be different to the front wheel. This will be a problem since the tires are constructed for only one direction of rotation. You would have to carry 2 spare wheels to be on the safe side.

Anyway I never experienced any punctures with my scoots - there aren't that many horses on the streets anymore that lose their nails. Best is, as said in a post before, to have a spare tube with you and let it get fixed by some service if it really happens.
Unless Genuine got fancy with the auto tires, I've yet to have an orientation problem with tires on my Vespa or any of the 2T Stellas I've worked on. Tires like the Michelin S83 (recommend 59J spec), Continental Zippy3 and Pirelli SC30 are all directionless tires.

If you worry about flats, get Kenda Tuff Tubes or similar. the thicker tube is a bit less susceptible to flats with a very minor penalty in unsprung weight. Another option may be to use a set of tubeless rims like those from SIP or ScootRS.

And horses aren't the problem, it's contractors without tailgates on their pickups driving around with unsecured buckets of fasteners that you should worry about.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Goodtime

Post by Goodtime »

So I am just learning of the new auto Stella. Is it a limited edition model with only 300 made or is it now a full blown production model? I looked at the Genuine website a while back and saw nothing of the auto version, now I see its there.

Does anybody know if it uses the Buddy 125 motor or is this a new motor? Too bad it does not come with the 170i motor.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

As I understand it the first 300 off the assembly line were given consecutive numbers so the they first 300 sold would 'special'. The Stelleto
(my nick name for it) is going to be a production item permanently. I am on my way to Vespa Marietta this morning to pick up my hack and have a performance muffler put on my 170i and plan to take a look at the new
Stella. They have received 3 this past week. I predict that it will be a good seller. :wink: You see it on the Genuine website as they held off on adding it til the dealers received them.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Goodtime wrote:So I am just learning of the new auto Stella. Is it a limited edition model with only 300 made or is it now a full blown production model? I looked at the Genuine website a while back and saw nothing of the auto version, now I see its there.

Does anybody know if it uses the Buddy 125 motor or is this a new motor? Too bad it does not come with the 170i motor.
The Stella is made by LML in India. The Buddy is manufactured in Taiwan by a different company. Genuine imports both of them - that is really all they have in common.
Goodtime

Post by Goodtime »

Elder Scoot wrote:
Goodtime wrote:So I am just learning of the new auto Stella. Is it a limited edition model with only 300 made or is it now a full blown production model? I looked at the Genuine website a while back and saw nothing of the auto version, now I see its there.

The Stella is made by LML in India. The Buddy is manufactured in Taiwan by a different company. Genuine imports both of them - that is really all they have in common.
So does this mean the motor is of made in India? Didn't the Bajaj Chetak also have a 4 stroke 125cc motor, that was supposedly quite slow? Just curious who makes the motor for the auto.
Any of you new owners know if it will crack 55mph GPS certified? I reaaly lve the look of the stella, but for me to consider one it needs to at least match the performance of my Yamaha Zuma 125 4t.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Goodtime wrote:
Elder Scoot wrote:

So does this mean the motor is of made in India? Didn't the Bajaj Chetak also have a 4 stroke 125cc motor, that was supposedly quite slow? Just curious who makes the motor for the auto.
Any of you new owners know if it will crack 55mph GPS certified? I reaaly lve the look of the stella, but for me to consider one it needs to at least match the performance of my Yamaha Zuma 125 4t.
The Chetak was a 150cc (145cc according to Wikipedia) shifty, and an entirely different animal. Engine design has also changed considerably since the Cheetak was designed.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Syd wrote:
Goodtime wrote:
Elder Scoot wrote: The Stella is made by LML in India. The Buddy is manufactured in Taiwan by a different company. Genuine imports both of them - that is really all they have in common.
The Chetak was a 150cc (145cc according to Wikipedia) shifty, and an entirely different animal. Engine design has also changed considerably since the Cheetak was designed.

LML makes their own motors. The motor is a brand new LML design and features and electronically control carb. It is a more modern motor than the old Bajaj and is undoubtedly a faster bike. European owners have had the bike for a year or two and like its performance. I have no information as to whether it is faster than the Zuma 125.