Disc Lock

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jonyskids

Disc Lock

Post by jonyskids »

Any one using a brake disc lock on their scooter? Does it make sense as it is not that to remove the front wheel if you really wanted to steal? I currently use a cable through the rear wheel. Is this the best option?

Thanks for opinions,

Jon
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I use it when parking around town for short stints. it's not terribly secure but it keeps the casual thief from wandering off with it. Keep in mind they can just lift up the front and roll it away. Makes it a pain if you lock the steering too.

There are all kinds of security threads to give you some tips, but short of only locking in Ft Knox surrounded by landmines 6' underground, a determined thief needs only tools a time. The key is to make it harder/more inconvenient to steal than the next one.

The best defense is good insurance.
ender07

Post by ender07 »

Roughhouse 50 - custom green paint job, Prima exhaust pipe, 5G rollers, 1000 RPM contra spring, 2000 RPM clutch pillow springs, 95 carb jet, UNI pod air filter, debadged, delobstered, PIAA Super Plasma performance headlight
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I don't think a normal disc brake would do much to deter theft. I've been using a Xena disk alarm lock in combination with a cable lock for the past two years. I like the fact that if someone touches my handlebars or if kids try to sit on it, it scares the poop out of them. You can adjust the sensitivity by the angle at which you have it mounted on your disc. I like the cable/chain lock/disk alarm combo, you get the visible deterrent of the cable, plus the alarm backup if someone does decide to EFF with your ride.

http://www.amazon.com/Xena-Security-Dis ... B002VR5LLI
Danielm

Post by Danielm »

skully93 wrote: The key is to make it harder/more inconvenient to steal than the next one.
This. Not only am I the only person in the area that actually wears a helmet, jacket and gloves, but I think I'm the only one that locks my scooter. There aren't a lot of them around, but if you drive a few blocks around you see them parked in the street in front of the house, no locks or anything.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I use an alarmed disc lock (Xena brand). No idea if it's ever worked for me when I'm not there, but it's good for peace of mind. Enough force/movement triggers the alarm, so if someone were to try to remove a wheel or just cut it off, it'd set it off.

A little costlier, but I figure it'll last for years and years, and the noise has the more likely benefit of frightening off anyone who wants to sit on your scooter, adjust your mirrors, etc.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

i use a master lock brand disc lock on a regular basis along with locking the steering column; if parked in storage, I use a security cable and american brand padlock thru the back wheel or the centerstand mount underneath to a hard mounting point...
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

its a good deterrent imo. i use a cheap-o that is effective and good as any other imo. unless you want an alarm on it

http://www.amazon.com/Trimax-T665LC-Har ... =disc+lock

i have two and both have held up over 3 years of use. also comes in yellow
Riding is riding
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yep, I've got a Trimax disc lock paired with a Gorilla onboarding alarm. So far, so good.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Kryptonight disc lock w/orange reminder cable for grip when out riding and a standard size OnGaurd U-lock with a noose chain to a anchor at home. If you get the oversized front rotor for your Buddy and install it yourself you will see first hand why I only go thru the front wheel. And yes, a standard OnGaurd U-lock will fit thru the tire/rim with the big rotor.
CityGal

Post by CityGal »

I found a Xena disc alarm size xx6 (the size recommended for a Buddy 125) on Amazon.com for $56. That's $20 cheaper than the Modern Buddy Member discounted price, and $30 cheaper than the regular price. Awesome deal! Get one while it lasts!
I thank whatever gods may be, for my unconquerable soul.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

I stopped using a disc lock awhile ago. For one, it didn't prevent a theft from my own back-yard, but mostly because of the severe anxiety involved with trying to remove it without setting off the alarm myself, while crouched down, possibly on wet ground, and while wearing a thick leather jacket and a heavy helmet.

With that said, I use several methods to secure my scoot.

If I am just running into a store for a short period, I use a grip-lock, plus a Gorilla alarm. If I am parking at work all day, or in my backyard all night, I chain it up to something solid. At home, the chain is wrapped around the base of the scooter (which someone could potentially work free if they're willing to spend the time on, if it isn't tight enough), and at work, where I only have my travel chain, I put it around the rear shock... which, again, someone could remove the shock if they had the tools with them. Most scooter thefts are opportunistic though, so few would have the necessary tools for that just handy.

It's all about layers of security, and deciding on what level of inconvenience you are willing to put on yourself in any given situation to keep it secure. There is no 100% solution though.