(NSR) Ridley Motorcycles

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chloefpuff

(NSR) Ridley Motorcycles

Post by chloefpuff »

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about these bikes?
They were built in USA in the 2000's but stopped production in '09.
They have automatic transmissions, a LOW seat height, and don't weigh very much. They have the traditional cruiser look.

I am becoming very interested in one of these. I want a motorcycle with auto trans but choices are very limited. It's pretty much either Honda or Ridley.

I don't like how the Honda models look. I prefer the classic cruiser, which is what Ridley has. Fit is also an issue. I strongly suspect that the Honda would be too tall for me, despite its lauded low seat height. The Ridley seat is 24.5.

On the minus side, there is no dealer support. The shop that specializes in selling them is 10 hours away.
so tough, so pink
toot

Post by toot »

I saw one on Craigslist a while back. It looked so nice and would have loved it. But very expensive and afraid of no dealer support. I don't do repairs much. Wish something else would come out like this. But I am selling GT 200 for it is a little heavy for me. Might be too much bike. Good luck
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Have you considered a Honda CM400A, the 80's automatic? They're cheap because a lot of people don't want 'em (they want to clutch). Don't be afraid of old as they're easy to keep running.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/4383227956.html
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

I don't know how to work on anything. I am dependent upon others to maintain all machines in my life.

Now, off to google them!
so tough, so pink
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

siobhan wrote:Have you considered a Honda CM400A, the 80's automatic? They're cheap because a lot of people don't want 'em (they want to clutch). Don't be afraid of old as they're easy to keep running.

Seconded. I know someone locally who picked up a CM400 after his leg was crushed in a car accident. While it failed to stir the blood (he wanted a bigger engine), it served him well in keeping him on two wheels despite an injury that would have prevented him from shifting.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Syd

Post by Syd »

Welcome back siobhan! I see you made it through "The Winter" :lol:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

siobhan wrote:Have you considered a Honda CM400A, the 80's automatic? They're cheap because a lot of people don't want 'em (they want to clutch). Don't be afraid of old as they're easy to keep running.
Welcome back, siobhan! I was afraid you'd gotten your hands on a KTM and disappeared into the sunset.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Boy, that's tempting.....
so tough, so pink
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Boy, that's over 30 years old...
so tough, so pink
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

chloefpuff wrote:Boy, that's over 30 years old...
yeah, but it's cheap. So the money you save, you hand over to a grizzled old mechanic to take care of it. Seriously, it's EASY to take care of, and any decent moto mechanic can handle a carb'd Honda.

The NC700 is a nice bike (albeit gutless), but I think it's gonna be too tall for you. And if you don't do any work, getting a Ridley puts you in the same boat as the old Honda. Just saying. I think it's a serious contender. But then again, I'm a Honda Hore and think everyone should ride Hondas. Even tho' my main bike is a Suzuki!

And thanks guys for the welcome back. It's been a truly BRUTAL winter, but I've been riding through it. Only dumped the Bud once on the street in the snow. The Buddy is so broken up that I'm on the Elite 250 full time until I repair it. Frame cracked but I've got a temp fix. Damn New England roads.

The KTM 390 Duke looks to be on a permanent delay :cry:
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

^You make some good points. First, it is a Honda. I've got a Reflex in my garage right now. I love Honda bikes. Second, if I can't work on any bike, I guess it should be something that any mechanic can probably handle, rather than an obscure brand no longer in production.

It's definitely better to make a $1500 mistake locally than drive over 10 hours to make a $10,000 mistake.
so tough, so pink
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I have a Honda 1978 CB400A that is in good running shape, low milage, but plan to take my time in restoring it. Might make a trike out of it some day. Not the type of bike that would fit your needs tho. Heavy and high seated. That said Hondas are pretty much bomb proof.
:wink:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
Lance Corona

Post by Lance Corona »

Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Google 'the end of Ridley motorcycles' for the real skinny on the subject.
Basically put out of business by a suit brought by Hardly Davidson over the use of a term. Sort of dirty pool in my estimation. :(
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I can't believe no one has mentioned Honda's CTX series. They have the same auto transmission as the NC-700 but are styled more like a cruiser. They also have ABS.
http://rideapart.com/2013/05/rideapart- ... da-ctx700/

Although I don't want an automatic, the manual version is a strong contender for my next bike

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Wolfhound wrote:Google 'the end of Ridley motorcycles' for the real skinny on the subject.
Basically put out of business by a suit brought by Hardly Davidson over the use of a term. Sort of dirty pool in my estimation. :(
Nothing to be done about that now, but I did learn one piece of news I can use. Used Ridleys are going nowhere but up in value. I guess that's why the only one I can find in my part of the country is going for top dollar. :wink:
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

We have one on Hampton Roads C-list for $4500-with a TowPac kit included. Looks like a vintage Harley or Indian.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

OK, bought a Hondamatic this weekend. $1350.

Here it is as advertised with the world's ugliest fairing.
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (49.78 KiB) Viewed 3159 times
so tough, so pink
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

I had them remove the fairing.
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (50.75 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
so tough, so pink
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

chloefpuff wrote:OK, bought a Hondamatic this weekend. $1350.

Here it is as advertised with the world's ugliest fairing.
No shit, that's awesome! And I gotta say, that fairing is also pure awesome in an "only in the 80's" kinda way. Throw some camping gear on that thing and watch out UP!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Nice bike. Hope it does what you need it to. Good choice on the fairing too. I'd pull the topbox and put it with the fairing on CL.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

^True, the topbox is not the most elegant thing. But I appreciate its functionality.
so tough, so pink
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

chloefpuff wrote:It's definitely better to make a $1500 mistake locally than drive over 10 hours to make a $10,000 mistake.
Amen to that, but I don't think you made a mistake at all. The US market turned its nose up at the CM400A because of the "A," but the "A" is exactly what you want. Somebody thought highly enough of that motorcycle to go touring on it back in the day. Plus, as everybody has noted, it's a Honda. For the price of a used Buddy, you got a utilitarian motorbike with an automatic transmission.

Here's a little knowledge from way back in the day from somebody who was there. Everybody back then hated the automatics, right? Well, the thing was, Honda also made an "A" version of the CB750 and that "A" bike was famous for being the "roll-on" king. A "roll-on" is when you're riding along and you roll the throttle open to accelerate. It's a great measure of real world rideability of a motorcycle. The auto Hondas are great at it, because the two-speed auto transmission keeps the motor spinning fast enough to keep it in the sweet spot of its powerband. I always wanted one for just that reason. So don't let anybody put your CM400A down because it's really a very cool piece of motorcycle history. :wink:
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I think it is a great bike. Congratulations!
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

You might try painting the top box to match the bike. But keep it on there as it is a big box and you will need it, believe me. I have a 78 CB400A that
is a project bike, runs fine 7000 miles but needs a good going over. Have been replacing missing body items but am not in a hurry to get it going.
The idea is to get it ready for a trike set up. Enjoy your ride!!! :wink:
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

^after I decide that she's a keeper I will probably get her a new paint job. Including the trunks. I'm thinking red and white.

Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement. I'm pretty excited about this bike. I haven't even ridden it yet: it's been 22 and snowing here in west Michigan. :cry:
so tough, so pink