Anyone ever get vapor lock on a Buddy 125?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sc00ter

Anyone ever get vapor lock on a Buddy 125?

Post by sc00ter »

Have a 07 Buddy with the plastic tank. Up there in miles-34,XXX and still being ridden. It will run then just shut down like it ran outta gas, then about 30 seconds later will restart and run fine for awhile. All looks good in the carb, swapped out the petcock from my wifes 08 Buddy, and tonight I rode home with the gas cap off and it ran without incedent. Gonna drill a tiny hole in the gas cap for now, got a new one on the way. Have the scoot sold to a friend at work, just want to make sure all is correct before it goes to its new home. Already replaced the stator assembly, new tires, front pads with fluid flush, changed the fuel filter and included that HUGE Givi that came as free swag from the SYM CityCom back in 2009. Any other ideas welcome.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

nice on the 34k+ miles!

My 150 did that when it was newer. the vented gas cap seems to have done the trick.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

The 07 does not get ridden much anymore so we (wife and I) decided to sell it. First time it went up for sale the stator failed. Was getting ready to sell it again then the clutch failed. Now as I put the word out that its for sale the random stalling! At least its a easy/cheap fix this time. Its like the scoot does not want to leave. I had to convince it that it was going to a better home. At $500 sold I shouldnt worry much but this is one of the few scooters that made it out of my ownership alive, and the guy who is buying it will take good care of it. Still have the 08 Buddy 125 as a back-up if needed.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

If the vented cap fixes the problem, that's great. In the case of a scooter being ridden so little, I would expect partial clogging of a carb jet to be the stalling and rough running issue rather than "vapor lock" (gas tank venting) however. I thought BTW that the 2007 Buddys came with a vented cap and 2008 was the first year of the closed system..
scootergrind

Post by scootergrind »

34k miles?! No wonder it doesn't want to leave - that's one happy scooter!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Cleaned the jets and sonic cleaned the carb body. Sold it awhile back and the new owner up-jetted for a Prima pipe. Bought it back again and quickly killed the Prima pipe so I put the carb back to stock along with a NCY pipe. When I was swapping out the petcocks the 07's fuel was barely flowing until I cracked the fuel cap, then it flowed great. The 08 Buddy also flowed great, but the metal gas cap thats on it has never sealed good and I keep forgetting to replace it. 07 runs great now, just gotta send it to its new home and hope it does not follow me back again.