Front mudflap install

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

slotrod65

Front mudflap install

Post by slotrod65 »

I spent about an hour today installing my front mudflap, and thought I would share my process as it may help others:

First I made a template of the mounting portion of the mud flap, and centered that on the front mudguard. Note that I applied masking tape to the mudguard to reduce the chance of scratches and allow me to mark the drill holes:

Once I had measured several times, I center punched the first hole and drilled it out.

slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Then I mounted the flap backwards, on the outside of the mudflap to check that the markings for the second hole were correct. They were, so it was punched and drilled as well.

slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

The mudflap was mounted:

slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I wasn't quite happy with the hang front the two bolt mounting, so I measured out two center bolts, then punched, drilled. Then remounted the flap, and drilled out the flap to match the holes, and bolted it up.

slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I am very pleased with the final product. I was worried that I would drill wrong and end up with holes that did not lone up... whew!

I kept having to move the wheel from full right to full left, double checking everything I did, but it was worth the effort.

toot

You Did It!!!

Post by toot »

Good job, Terri :D :D :D :D
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Good job! Looks good, man.
just wondering if you slathered on some sort of paint onto the bare metal created by the drill bit.
before you bolted it up to ward off future rust.
good idea?
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I did not, but I do agree it would be a good idea. I am getting some touch up paint for the scooter to paint my rims and hubs, so I will probably dab that on at that point. Thanks for the suggestion!