seat release woes

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

TVB

seat release woes

Post by TVB »

I'm becoming not-a-fan of the seat release mechanism on the Buddy.

Several weeks ago I discovered that the latch on the seat had become... reluctant, requiring me to pull up on the seat at the same time that I was twisting the key to actually open it. Then it stopped opening with that method, requiring me to use the secret release method to get it open. And then that stopped working.

"Conveniently" that happened the same day the engine stopped running, so the mechanic was able to replace the release cable at the same time he fixed the compression problem that left me stranded by the side of the road. The latch worked a few times... before it stopped. Not even with the secret method.

OK, not a crisis, right? Lots of scooters don't even have pet carriers, so I can get by without access to it until I have time to take it back in. I'm running low on gas, however, so I.... oh, wait: I can't get at the gas to refuel. The good news is that I have enough in the tank to get to the shop. Probably. The last mile is downhill, at least. Wish me luck.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Ack! very good luck!
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

I did a quick search but couldn't find it but there was a post awhile ago that showed how to adjust the cable that goes to the latch. The adjustment is done at the front there is a long copper hexagonal barrel that you can tighten/loosen that affects the tension of the wire that is activated by the key turning. They had pictures in the post too. I've had to make that adjustment a few times myself. I wonder if that could be your issue.
MB #2349
Syd

Post by Syd »

That was one of the things I like about my SYM HD200. The seat had a lock on the left side panel to access the pet carrier. And a locking gas cap that used the same key as the ignition and seat lock. Two things, I guess.

Hope you get it fixed right.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
TVB

Post by TVB »

I made it. :)
dsmith65 wrote:I did a quick search but couldn't find it but there was a post awhile ago that showed how to adjust the cable that goes to the latch.
That was one of the first things I did to get it working as it was beginning to become uncooperative. It helped at first, but eventually I'd tightened it all the way and it still wouldn't open. It didn't help at all the second time.

The culprit (apparently both times) was a little plastic clip at the latch end of the cable which holds it in place to do its magic. The first time, it had broken. The second time, it wasn't properly seated, which is why it failed so quickly and completely. Once he found what the problem was today, he fixed it quickly, and (since it was his oversight) at no charge.

I brought along a 1-gallon gas container which I filled at a gas station on the way to the shop, then refueled the bike at the shop, before closing the pet carrier. Just in case. Even though he's now confident that the latch will work according to spec, I'm not. For one thing, the spring that's supposed to pop the seat up when the latch is released ... isn't. I don't have to yank on it, like I did at the beginning of this story, but the seat kinda just sits there when it's been released. I would've pressed him to fix that too, but it's another part he'd have to order, and for today I just needed to get back on the road and keep my "lunch break" to two hours. But I'm going to be going back soon for new tires, so I'll probably call ahead for him to get that part, and have it done then.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Syd wrote:That was one of the things I like about my SYM HD200. The seat had a lock on the left side panel to access the pet carrier. And a locking gas cap that used the same key as the ignition and seat lock. Two things, I guess.
I've always been a proponent of the keep-it-simple approach, and the Buddy's locking system reminds me of Scotty's best line in the The Search For Spock: "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain". It's far more complicated (and thus prone to failure) than it needs to be. While I appreciate the importance of keeping the pet carrier secure, and the convenience of it using the same key socket as the ignition, I don't particularly care if my gas tank with it's four dollars' worth of regular unleaded, is accessible without a key.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Somewhere, perhaps a year ago, there was a thread about adding a secondary release cable. The idea was that a hidden cable would allow you access if you ever locked the keys under the seat.

I did this mod on my Roughhouse, and I think people would have a hard time finding my "secret" release cable. And I think the Buddy mechanism is made the same way, and therefore similarly modifiable.

You might consider such a mod as a backup for the normal keyed release.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!