UN-BELIEVABLE! some people... (rant thread..vent here)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

EvilNerdLord

UN-BELIEVABLE! some people... (rant thread..vent here)

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Had a too close call today..,
On my way home major roadwork has detoured traffic into choke points I HAVE to go through...one of these, a crappy two laner that merges into one, then immediately under a narrow train overpass then my turn for home signal light...so, with heavy traffic, the either keep up or get run over kind (luckily its a 25 mpg zone so Stella has no problem there, I've gone this way many times in off commute hours with little traffic)...well, as the line I'm end merges this guy in a minivan with kids whose behind me and to my right, rather than let me over...ACCELERATED TO PUSH PAST ME , BLOWING HIS HORN AND NEARLY FORCED ME INTO THE TRAIN BRIDGE ABUTMENT!....I actually felt road rage...he was stopped at my turn signal and as I pulled into the turn pocket past him I screamed every obscenity I knew and every one hand gesture as I went by...

There's my tale...anyone have a close call, dumb cager story to share? NOW! You can vent, get it off you chest (but keep it clean)...
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

I know, I know...their where kids present, over reacting give 2wheelers a bad rep....but when adrenaline is pumping and you think you going to get injured again because some dumbass wants to get to the next light first.....
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
DariaSen

Post by DariaSen »

Not mine story..my husbands

Last week he was on his bike stopped at a light leaving a 7-11. He felt a bump and heard his tail light shatter. Got up to turn around and the guy hit him again causing the bike to drop (good thing he was standing up at that point). He tells the guy to pull over and the driver shrugs and takes off. Bike's totaled but no injuries. Luckily he got the plate number and the car is registered...just waiting on the insurance info from the police...if there is insurance...there is a warrant out on the driver.

We can understand accidents but for the guy to just take off just pissed us off. He was in a foul mood all week until we could get to the bike shop and order something new. Every time I went out on the Buddy I could feel his jealous glare all the way down the street.
caffeine65

Post by caffeine65 »

I don't blame you one bit, EvilNerd. I actually hope his kids got an earful of obscenities. Some people just don't realize that when you're in a car, you're still a human being interacting with other human beings.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

The closest call I had involving another car is a chick break checking me for no reason. It was close, but I didn't hit her car. I just ended up passing her later at a light. I didn't give her so much as a look... Another time a guy in a truck wanted to fight me because I was going to slow in his mind. I laughed at him cause I know fighting will just make the problem worse. The light changed and I sped past him....
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Twice I have had this happen to me. Once about three yrs. ago and just yesterday 4/20 (<-- inside humor). Both times it was a woman driver and both did the exact same thing. I'm riding along just minding my own when the vehicle coming in the opposite direction just starts coming at me and actually drifts into my lane. Now I should know better, but I play chicken with them. I hold my lane because I have eye contact with them, they aren't distracted by texting, or kids in the back seat because they were looking right at me. I just enjoy the look of shear horror on their faces as they realize two things
1) I ain't moving
2) I am a real grown up person and not some 16 yr. old snot nose

I amount this to the "I'm going to teach this guy a lesson because those should't be on the road" mentality. And since they mostly like doing this sort of thing to the younger generation hoping to instill fear in them to make them want to stop riding. Yes I enjoy my game of chicken.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

agrogod, I don't like to admit it (to myself) but as I have gotten older (I'm 60) I have become more of a butt head. (And I am not saying you are! Just explaining where I am at.) I'd do the same stuff you did. For some reason it is sometimes more important to show someone they are being stupid, than it is to be concerned for our own protection. Not always smart, but it seems right at the time.

This behavior, in myself, concerns me, because it may get me squished sometime. But damnit, why can't people pay attention and take their driving seriously?

I also believe very strongly that riding a scooter or a motorcycle makes a person a better car driver. I wish more car drivers had scooter experience.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Part of the reason I'm on a scooter is back in 2011 (milk day intact) I was taking my 1100 shadow ace (no small ride) out to put gas in when as I started to pull out of my cul due sac, my neighbor and her sister chatting in their jeep Cherokee didn't stop and turning left in front of me, hit me head on....dislocated and shattered knee despite (tibial plateau fracture)..9 months in hospital, two operations and it healed crooked, I need a replacement.... and my lawyer found everyone closed ranks and wouldn't talk and when they did it was 'no habla singles....' despite my talking to her just 2 days before...IN ENGLISH!....

My dad encouraged me to ride again, that 'get back on the horse' thing...

So this incident was especially perturbing...
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

OldGuy wrote:agrogod, I don't like to admit it (to myself) but as I have gotten older (I'm 60) I have become more of a butt head. (And I am not saying you are! Just explaining where I am at.) I'd do the same stuff you did. For some reason it is sometimes more important to show someone they are being stupid, than it is to be concerned for our own protection. Not always smart, but it seems right at the time.

This behavior, in myself, concerns me, because it may get me squished sometime. But damnit, why can't people pay attention and take their driving seriously?

I also believe very strongly that riding a scooter or a motorcycle makes a person a better car driver. I wish more car drivers had scooter experience.
OldGuy I'm 53 so not that far from you in age. Just can't fathom the thought process going through some peoples heads. If the cager wants to pass misguided judgement, go home and involve your family, leave me out of it.
And I do have to agree on the better driver part, you gain a new perspective when you live the life of a two wheeler.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I've been blessed that I apparently live in the most two-wheel-friendly city in the U.S. We have a ton of riders out here and the cagers seem pretty aware most of the time. I think I've only had 2-3 people pull in front of me in the 7 years I've had my Buddy!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

I think the adage "...ride like your invisible.." isn't quite true.

It's more like 'ride like your the field mouse, because every hawk, snake, coyote and the rest of the animal kingdom will eat your sorry furry butt given half a chance...' just watch any nature documentary, those little guys are on EVERONES menu...so are we. :shock:
RexM

Mercy Killers

Post by RexM »

Not specific to two wheels, but lately I'm frustrated by people trying to be nice and stopping to let left-turners through during traffic. I'm all about being nice but there's just one problem: the nice person's act of stopping neither controls nor notifies intent to the adjacent lanes, who may not even be able to see the left-turner about to appear in their path. I call these people “mercy killers” for the danger they create through their intended kindness. They teach you not to do this in traffic school (at least when I went).

Specific to two wheels, this caused me to be minorly rear-ended yesterday, as I could see over the cars and knew a mercy killer was about to inject a left turner into my path, and was pretty sure the turner couldn't see me. I braked and stopped in time for the turner to pass in front of me, but the car behind me was a hair late and tapped me. Better than being a hood ornament on the left turning car though.

The good news is that the Burg took it well. I felt it—it would have really hurt if I had been standing there instead of on the bike—but the Burg has a rather impressive and high bumper that took the hit, and showed only a tiny scuff for it. To the credit of the driver, he neither blamed me for stopping short nor drove away when I pulled over to exchange information (just in case).

All's well that ends well. Don't be a mercy killer.
TVB

Re: Mercy Killers

Post by TVB »

RexM wrote:Not specific to two wheels, but lately I'm frustrated by people trying to be nice and stopping to let left-turners through during traffic. I'm all about being nice but there's just one problem: the nice person's act of stopping neither controls nor notifies intent to the adjacent lanes, who may not even be able to see the left-turner about to appear in their path. I call these people “mercy killers” for the danger they create through their intended kindness. They teach you not to do this in traffic school (at least when I went).
Yes! This, and declining to take your turn at a 4-way stop, and a host of other trying-to-be-nice "exceptions" that people make without need. We have "rules of the road" for a reason: so everyone knows what to do, and what to expect. Once in a while, bending the rules to help someone out makes sense (e.g. someone's trying to pull into traffic when it's backed up and inching along), but most of the time when you try to make up your own rules because you think it's more courteous... it isn't.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Once as I was on a two lane onramp that merged to one, a van raced up alongside me and as soon as his nose was in front of mine merged into me. I was so pissed I beat on the windows of the van as it passed me. I won't do that again.

Another time a Mercedes pulled in front of me while I was doing 50. I got so mad I ran into him! (Not really. I wasn't mad. I wasn't even really afraid. I guess there wasn't time.)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

On Monday a self-important BMW driver decided they wanted to be in my lane. Even though it was clear they saw me they just started trying to shove me aside, thinking I would back down. I let my little friend Stebel let him know that this wasn't happening.

God I love that horn!

In the end all the guy ever had to do was flip on his turn signal. I'm nice like that, let me know in the proper manner that you need to get over, and 9 out of 10 times I'll either slow down or speed up so you can get over.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

AAAND do you notice there is NEVER a cop around to see it? except to blame you when your spawled on the street and it's the beamer's driver vs yours....

:x
jd

Post by jd »

Let's lighten up on the 'cagers are out to get us' paranoia.

There are lots of bad drivers, and they come on either 4 and 2 wheels. Some of them are deliberately rude, some are not paying attention, and some of them just are idiots. I've experienced bad "cage" drivers and just as many bad motorcycle riders. In fact, some of the very worst operators I've ever seen were moped riders, especially when they ride in one of their hipster, obnoxious "swarms." And I've seen some crotch rocket riders do incredibly stupid and dangerous things with little regard for what impact their behavior was having on other traffic.

Incivility can be found no matter what you're riding or driving. It's just we're more vulnerable to it on two wheels than on four. That may be the best reason for always wearing a helmet and proper riding gear.
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
jd

Post by jd »

TVB wrote:Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
That is one of the most insightful things I have ever seen on any forum. Need to remember it. :D
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

jd wrote:
TVB wrote:Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
That is one of the most insightful things I have ever seen on any forum. Need to remember it. :D

Tag line / signature....
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

jd wrote:Let's lighten up on the 'cagers are out to get us' paranoia.

There are lots of bad drivers, and they come on either 4 and 2 wheels. Some of them are deliberately rude, some are not paying attention, and some of them just are idiots. I've experienced bad "cage" drivers and just as many bad motorcycle riders. In fact, some of the very worst operators I've ever seen were moped riders, especially when they ride in one of their hipster, obnoxious "swarms." And I've seen some crotch rocket riders do incredibly stupid and dangerous things with little regard for what impact their behavior was having on other traffic.

Incivility can be found no matter what you're riding or driving. It's just we're more vulnerable to it on two wheels than on four. That may be the best reason for always wearing a helmet and proper riding gear.
Don't forget, San Fransisco is famous for it bicycle swarms... both in clogging already notoriously jammed roads, but in the last few years becoming violent...was it last year a mother in a minivan with kids was harassed and vandalized because they swarmed her and out of fear trying to get away knocked some over? It made national news...
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

EvilNerdLord wrote:
Don't forget, San Fransisco is famous for it bicycle swarms... both in clogging already notoriously jammed roads, but in the last few years becoming violent...was it last year a mother in a minivan with kids was harassed and vandalized because they swarmed her and out of fear trying to get away knocked some over? It made national news...
It was a motorcycle swarm, it happened in NYC and it was a mother and father with kids and it was in an SUV. Other than that, you got it right!

Bill in Seattle :)
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Exactly, and equally applicable to pedestrians. Here in NJ, and probably due to the negligence/ignorance of motor vehicle operators across the board, they started plastering "Stop for pedestrians in crosswalks - it's the law" signs all over supermarket and mall parking lots. End result - the pendulum has swung to the opposite extreme and pedestrians now shoot out into the path of moving vehicles without even taking a momentary glance in either direction. One of the worst spots at night is the local fitness center. I don't know if it's the endorphin-rush or what, but many, many of the folks there burst through the door and dash headlong into the street, dressed head-to-toe in dark gym-wear and fixated on one or more electronic devices. Even driving at a crawl, the number of near-misses is alarming.

Point is, just assume that everyone else is stupid, self-absorbed, and negligent, then conduct yourself and your vehicle accordingly. You have everything to gain and nothing whatsoever to lose.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

charlie55 wrote:
jd wrote: End result - the pendulum has swung to the opposite extreme and pedestrians now shoot out into the path of moving vehicles without even taking a momentary glance in either direction.
Isn't this why we have "Ben-Hur" blades on our scoots? :wink:
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

pugbuddy wrote:
charlie55 wrote:
jd wrote: End result - the pendulum has swung to the opposite extreme and pedestrians now shoot out into the path of moving vehicles without even taking a momentary glance in either direction.
Isn't this why we have "Ben-Hur" blades on our scoots? :wink:
Honda no longer makes that part (193091-KM1-010) for the Helix, so I've been making do with a boxing glove-tipped broomstick.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

skipper20 wrote:
EvilNerdLord wrote:
It was a motorcycle swarm, it happened in NYC and it was a mother and father with kids and it was in an SUV. Other than that, you got it right!

Bill in Seattle :)
WWW.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ross/arti ... 566505.php

I'm wrong, that the woman wasn't hurt, the 'injured' was a cyclist and left without a statement or giving his name.....the terror for the woman and the kids was real

the event is called 'critical mass' they've been swarming the streets since 1992, just had their 20 year ride..
Last edited by EvilNerdLord on Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TVB

Post by TVB »

EvilNerdLord wrote: the event is called 'critical mass' they've been swarming the streets since 1992, just had their 20 year ride..
Critical Mass started as a way to raise awareness of bicycles as legitimate form of transportation with equal rights to the road under traffic laws. But in many cities CM has lost that focus, and in the worst cases it's been taken over by assholes who use it as an opportunity to "punish" other traffic and defy traffic laws with impunity through their numbers. Instead of "same roads, same rights, same rules" they're more about "our roads, we're right, no rules". I stopped participating in the local rides about 10 years ago, because they were setting the wrong example.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

TVB wrote:
EvilNerdLord wrote: the event is called 'critical mass' they've been swarming the streets since 1992, just had their 20 year ride..
Critical Mass started as a way to raise awareness of bicycles as legitimate form of transportation with equal rights to the road under traffic laws. But in many cities CM has lost that focus, and in the worst cases it's been taken over by assholes who use it as an opportunity to "punish" other traffic and defy traffic laws with impunity through their numbers. Instead of "same roads, same rights, same rules" they're more about "our roads, we're right, no rules". I stopped participating in the local rides about 10 years ago, because they were setting the wrong example.
proves assholes are every where and this thread has drifted (which I'm cool with) from a place to vent about close calls to anecdotes (no matter how many wheels) just how a assholey "they" are and we all have to be specially aware and informed....

Ninjasurfergirl

Post by Ninjasurfergirl »

I really think some people just want to be mean to people on scooters! I was driving to school, 2 lane road, and needed to get into the left lane to make a left turn, so I put my signal on, waited on a car to pass, and began to move over to the left lane. This car that was waaaaaaay far back a few seconds ago sped up (speed limit was only 35, she had to be going 60 to get from where she was in that amount of time) and blasted her horn at me, flipping me off, and I went back into my right lane. Then she ended up switching into the right lane a few seconds later anyway. My classmate was driving behind me and saw the whole thing, said she was totally at fault for that.
Some cagers just hate scooters! I can't count the number of times a car has passed me on a 1 lane road just to get around me, when I was going slow because the car in front of me was going slow. It's obvious there's a slow car in front of me, I'm practically transparent, the cager is just being a butthead because they don't want to be behind a scooter!
TVB

Post by TVB »

Ninjasurfergirl wrote:I really think some people just want to be mean to people
Fixed that for you. :/
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Ninjasurfergirl wrote:I really think some people just want to be mean to people on scooters! I was driving to school, 2 lane road, and needed to get into the left lane to make a left turn, so I put my signal on, waited on a car to pass, and began to move over to the left lane. This car that was waaaaaaay far back a few seconds ago sped up (speed limit was only 35, she had to be going 60 to get from where she was in that amount of time) and blasted her horn at me, flipping me off, and I went back into my right lane. Then she ended up switching into the right lane a few seconds later anyway. My classmate was driving behind me and saw the whole thing, said she was totally at fault for that.
Some cagers just hate scooters! I can't count the number of times a car has passed me on a 1 lane road just to get around me, when I was going slow because the car in front of me was going slow. It's obvious there's a slow car in front of me, I'm practically transparent, the cager is just being a butthead because they don't want to be behind a scooter!
Yep, these people are out there, no doubt. Crazy loons.
prrfan53

Post by prrfan53 »

The afore going stories, and a few of my own, make me glad my Stebel is in good voice! Gets their attention sometimes.....If 1/2 of the population is stupid, what does that say about the dumber 1/2??? (credit the late, great George Carlin) Just a thought
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

You don't have to be on your scooter to experience bad behavior from brain dead drivers. My wife and I were walking into a local grocery store. We were crossing the lane directly in front of the store, which is kind of like a road but still definitely part of the lot. We were crossing in the pedestrian area which has yellow stripes painted all over the place and a sign that says stop for pedestrians. A woman "yacking on the cell phone" sees us and decides to accelerate past us. She actually had to swerve to avoid running us down. I think I may have turned 5 shades of purple I was so angry. Have you ever seen red, I actually did at that moment. Anyway, as she had no regard for our safety I decided to have no regard for her property. I reached out with my right fist and brought it down so hard on the trunk of her nice new car it left a dent. I'm certain I said something as well but I have no idea what, just that it was quite foul! The driver decided it would be better to be someplace else and never slowed. Immediately I felt like an idiot for my extreme reaction. Another woman who was entering the store at the time turned and watched. I apologized to her for my actions, she said "no apology necessary". It took hours for my adrenaline and nerves to quiet down. I hate that feeling. Why can't people simply be courteous?