OEM Windscreen brackets breaking

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

artistikim

OEM Windscreen brackets breaking

Post by artistikim »

I just purchased an 07 Blur about 2 months ago. It came with the OEM windscreen and rack.

The previous owner had placed some pipe insulation (like a gray pool noodle) between the windscreen and the scooter headstock "to cut down on wind". When I washed the Blur to get ready for a group ride, I removed the insulation.

On the group ride, the right bracket snapped where it flattened out for the bolts to screw through. I managed to pick up a used windscreen complete with brackets, and used one to replace my broken bracket (my existing acrylic is in much better shape than the used windscreen I bought).

This weekend, while out on another group ride, the left bracket snapped, this time right across one of the bolt holes.

Partial blame goes to the GPS bracket mount I had mounted to one of the bolts (I moved it from right to left), but I wonder if the insulation put stress on the brackets over the past 8 years.

Has anyone seen this before?

I am about to use my last good bracket. Does anyone know where I can pick up brackets alone without buying a third windscreen?

For now, I have the broken pieces duct taped together (several layers thick, in various orientations to avoid tearing). The windscreen bounces as I go over bumps. Do you think this will weaken the other bracket and increase the possibility that it might snap, as well?

Should I just replace the insulation behind the windscreen and call it good? The insulation does reduce bouncing considerably, though it doesn't look all that attractive.

Any input/feedback is welcome.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Sorry to hear of all your windscreen problems. Although not OEM (I didn't know that there was an OEM windscreen), the Prima windscreen on my 2006 Blur has never given me any problems. I too put a piece of foam tube between the windscreen and cowl to block air leakage and this has not caused any problems either. Are you mounting your GPS mount to one of the windscreen brackets or to the bolt that attaches it to the scooter? If you're mounting it to the bracket itself, maybe it is causing a resonant vibration that is fatiguing the metal.
Attachments
Prima windscreen on a 2006 Blur
Prima windscreen on a 2006 Blur
blurwindscreen.jpg (57.1 KiB) Viewed 963 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
artistikim

Post by artistikim »

My windscreen looks like yours, with a Genuine sicker down at the bottom.

I had used a U-bolt around the bolt cover closest to me.
Attachments
Blur, as I bought it with windscreen and rack.
Blur, as I bought it with windscreen and rack.
11009217_10155455534130717_4489531173500284672_n.jpg (52.32 KiB) Viewed 959 times
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

You should post this problem on the main discussion threads because this is basically the same windscreen that fits the Buddy too. Maybe a Buddy owner (of which there are more of) can be of some help.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.