2011 Blur 220i buying assistance

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Damienroma

2011 Blur 220i buying assistance

Post by Damienroma »

New to the forum here.

Recently purchased a 170i for myself and have been thrilled with it so far. My wife now has the itch for a scoot and I have an opportunity to buy a 'like new' 2011 Blur with about 1,000 miles on it for $1,700 locally. Price seems great, but I have read some negative reviews regarding the long term reliability of the blur. I am looking for any advice and/or anecdotes from current or past owners regarding the scoot's performance, the price, items to look for when checking it out, etc.

Many thanks in advance! Happy scooting out there.[/list]
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

To me the Blur is a bit of a different animal than most scooters. I think of it as what it is meant to be...a sport scooter. Top speed is not that impressive for a 220, it's not really a cruiser and storage is ok at best.

So is there anything good? Oh yes! The Blur is just a blas to ride. Great acceleration for like 25 to 55, excellent suspension, excellent brakes, handling rocks. It is like a light to light bike...just a blast to ride on the streets. Think Buddy on steroids.

As far as reliability I bought mine with about 4K miles on it. It had the wrong belt, I changed that, the rollers, cleaned the clutch, oil gear oil...basic stuff.

I got it at a great price and I will admit that I hammer it! To me that's the only problem...I just always blast the throttle and haven't had any problems!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Damienroma

Pulled the trigger on a Buddy 220i

Post by Damienroma »

Thank you for the reply. I pulled the trigger on it and feel like I got a decent deal.

First impressions: This is not a scooter. It is a mini motorcycle. Quick off the line, nice smooth ride, excellent handling, superb braking. It really goes when you give it a little.

My only frustration is the slight awkwardness of the geometry, as others have voiced. I am not sure if I am supposed to step through or swing my leg over. Shorter folks will not have an easy time getting on this thing.

Other than that, it is a dream to ride. Between my buddy 170i and this thing, my wife and I can cruise nearly anywhere that is not the interstate. Looking forward to some happy scooting all summer.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Congrats! And by the way...welcome to MB!

One other thing about the Blur is that its pretty good 2 up. There is a lot more room than on a Buddy. Honestly I bought mine to flip it. Bocette wants me to keep it...yeah...like I'm heart broken... :mrgreen: When we want to take 1 scooter I can put the Blur on a tilt a rack and we can both actually enjoy a ride somewhere instead of being jammed and scraping the center stand on the Buddy.

Now we need some photos and that first real ride report!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
toot

Post by toot »

I have one. it is so fun to ride in the canyon roads.. I waver back and forth between wanting to sell it, then I get on it and remove my ad. I can not believe others do not see the greatness of this little scooter. It is so much fun ride and I decided I do not care if they do not sell them anymore and I can not get parts. I will just ride it until it dies.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Scooters like the Blur have been standard throughout Europe and Asia for at least a quarter of a century. I rode similar scooters in Taiwan back in the 90's while I was living and working there. One of the best was a Yamaha 125cc 2-stroke that was fast and handled great. There are many so called sport scooters available in other parts of the world, but unfortunately, not here in the US. When I came back to the US and wanted to buy a scooter for city use (I had a 750 Suzuki at the time), I was highly disappointed at what was available to me. The only thing that came close to what I rode in Taiwan was a Blur so I bought a used 2006 Blur 150. It handles great, but it isn't as fast as the 125cc Yamaha I rode in Taiwan. Seems most of the scootering public here are way, way behind the scooter curve. My analogy is that most people in Europe and Asia are driving 2015 BMW's, Audi's, Lexus, etc., while in the US, we're stuck with 1955 Chevy's. Well, maybe not quite that bad, but you get the picture.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.