Add armor to parka?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

slotrod65

Add armor to parka?

Post by slotrod65 »

OK, so I have an M65 parka, since it we, well, a parka, there is plenty of room inside. So I have been thinking about adding armor, at least elbows. My Mom is a seamstress, so I have a sewing pro available (and the price is right!). Has anyone ever added armor to a jacket? Can armor be purchased separately? Is some armor better than other armor?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Phred
ravenlore

Re: Add armor to parka?

Post by ravenlore »

slotrod65 wrote:OK, so I have an M65 parka, since it we, well, a parka, there is plenty of room inside. So I have been thinking about adding armor, at least elbows. My Mom is a seamstress, so I have a sewing pro available (and the price is right!). Has anyone ever added armor to a jacket? Can armor be purchased separately? Is some armor better than other armor?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Phred

Armor CAN be purchased separate from a jacket. http://www.revzilla.com/replacement-armor

I'm sure there are differences in armor...reviews might be helpful.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

There are all kinds of different armor, so pick the coverage you like. I personally like the Rukka air stuff because it's super-lightweight. I'm unconvinced on the D3O stuff because it's stiff when it's cold. If you only ride when it's relatively warm, you should give it a good look.

CE EN-1 is a lower rating than CE EN-2.

Have your mom make the pockets just barely bigger than armor. It should be difficult to get in and out. You can make it out of mesh or fabric, with a little velcro to close the pocket. Note that the pocket fabric will be touching you if you're wearing a short-sleeve shirt.

And the armor is only going to protect against initial impact. The jacket fabric will tear almost immediately rendering the armor impotent as it's cotton canvas.

If the jacket is big on you (i.e. it fits like a parka), it may be a pointless task. You want the armor snug to your body so it doesn't shift position when you go down.

Forcefield makes limb tubes that slip onto your arms. I use them off-road on my knees and love 'em.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Thanks all: I was thinking of adding the armor to the lining as it has more "fit" than the outer shell which is floppy, and as you mentioned, thin. I understand that an M65 will offer relatively minimum protection, but I would like to minimize any potential low speed, elbow smash...