Exhaust rattling

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Stilts

Exhaust rattling

Post by Stilts »

I noticed my exhuast started rattling at low RPMS. I checked it for cracks and whatnot and noticed two parts rubbing together causing the rattling. I hope the picture is clear.

Should these two "plates" be welded together or should there be a nut on the bolt coming through bottom of the engine block?

I'm taking it up to my local next week for an oil change and once over and, if there's a problem, warranty should take care of it, but I'm curious now.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

There should be a captive nut attached to the bracket on the exhaust. Of those two bits of the bracket are rubbing together the weld is broken.

I'm on the third exhaust in a year on my four stoke,they seem to mostly be made of broken biscuits.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Tipper wrote:There should be a captive nut attached to the bracket on the exhaust. Of those two bits of the bracket are rubbing together the weld is broken.

I'm on the third exhaust in a year on my four stoke,they seem to mostly be made of broken biscuits.
That's what I figured.

I'm about to hit 6k miles on the first stock exhaust and it's been about 14 months since I got the bike. I know the exhausts on these are very hit or miss (usually miss) so I consider myself lucky to have made it this far with the original. It's still under warranty so a new one it is! By this time next year, we'll hopefully have a good handle on the best aftermarket exhausts.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Found the source of the rattle. There is a crack in the rear stabilizer. Finally getting a replacement later this week.

Stilts

Post by Stilts »

New exhaust installed!

I've forgotten how quiet these things are!