'Once a Scout, always a Scout' (NSR)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KABarash

'Once a Scout, always a Scout' (NSR)

Post by KABarash »

My recent interaction with a member on Modern Vespa got me thinking. How many here have or had an involvement in Scouting?
I 'grew up' through Scouting in the 1960s and 70s, as my father was a very active even before my older brother and I were old enough and my oldest son was in the local troop for a time.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
DariaSen

Post by DariaSen »

Answered on MV but I'll add it here as well.

My son's in cub scouts. I will add he has ASD and he has a great time with his new group where many of the boys are also on the spectrum. The structure helps with the social interactions he has trouble with at school.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

DariaSen wrote:Answered on MV but I'll add it here as well.
:)
My youngest, now 20, is in a similar situation however, his mother didn't feel Scouting was 'for him' as it was something I felt would have been good for him, you can always wonder what if.....
Nullius in verba
issue31

Scouting

Post by issue31 »

:lol: Got into Boy scouts when I was 12 I think. Went on to organizing a Explorer post with the help of two friends. Became a assistant scout master. From there I was the scout master for 10 years. Finely quite when I could not find parents to help me get boys to different functions. I was told I was a grate weekend baby sitter. I used the saying THREE QUARTERS OF SCOUTING IS OUTING. Parents though that was too much!! I helped 6 boys in our town to become Eagle scouts. I did not feel that was TO MUCH
Syd

Post by Syd »

It's like Déjà vu.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Syd wrote:It's like Déjà vu.
Yes Syd, I posted both places for the benifit of those who are not on both sites.
Nullius in verba
TVB

Post by TVB »

I was a Cub Scout but never made the transition to the Boy Scouts. Which is probably for the best because that was around the same time I started to realize that the BSA and I would be incompatible.
skipper20

Re: 'Once a Scout, always a Scout' (NSR)

Post by skipper20 »

KABarash wrote:My recent interaction with a member on Modern Vespa got me thinking. How many here have or had an involvement in Scouting?
I 'grew up' through Scouting in the 1960s and 70s, as my father was a very active even before my older brother and I were old enough and my oldest son was in the local troop for a time.
I was a Boy Scout in the 40s. We bought U.S. Army pup tents from the local Army Surplus store for $1.00 each! On a motor scooter note, the most popular scooters of the time were Cushmans and pre-WWII Salisburys. Whizzer motor bike kits were also being introduced but at $99 or thereabouts, only the rich kids could afford them.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal ....
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Was a Scout back in the 40's. Got 5 merit badges. Don't remember what that made me.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
CountryJustice

Post by CountryJustice »

Joined Cub Scouts a year or two before Webelos, rode it through into BSA for a number of years, right up until around the time I was allowed to drive, if memory serves.

I got as high as Star rank, but lost interest in pursuing rank/merit badges after a while. I really only stuck it out for as long as I did because my troop did lots of camping, which I loved. Learned a lot in those years, and it fostered the love of the outdoors that I still have now.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Tazio wrote:Was a Scout back in the 40's. Got 5 merit badges. Don't remember what that made me.
Top Heavy :P
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

I was a cub scout and boy scout until, just missed getting Springbok scout (South Africa's version of Eagle). Got sent to a boarding school that had no scouts.

I was my son's den leader all through his cub scout days, and now am an assistant patrol leader, and I help with District training. I'll probably always be involved in Scouts some way or another even once he is done.
MB #2349
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Like that "Top Heavy".

Forgot to mention I climbed Mt. Baden Powell in the Angeles Mountains many times. Scouting probably did contribute to getting started on my several decades of extreme mountaineering.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
Syd

Post by Syd »

KABarash wrote:
Syd wrote:It's like Déjà vu.
Yes Syd, I posted both places for the benifit of those who are not on both sites.
No offense intended, I assure you.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Helpful, friendly....
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
hackett

Post by hackett »

Eagle Scout. Webelos drop-out.
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
CountryJustice

Post by CountryJustice »

I never did quite get the hang of "thrifty"....
rentonhighlander

Post by rentonhighlander »

Currently a den leader.
kary

Eagle Scout

Post by kary »

My son and I are both Eagle Scouts. Was a den leader and a scoutmaster for many years.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I was (am?) an Eagle Scout (since 1981)
Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Couturious, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean & Reverent. (that will take up valuable space in my brain for the rest of my life)

Well.... nine out of twelve aint bad.
theflash784

Scout

Post by theflash784 »

I joined a Law Enforcement Explorer Post when I was 14 years old. I was one of the first girls to join up as the post recently went co-ed (way back in '73). From there I went to the local community college and got my 2 yr degree in Law Enforcement and went to work for the local PD. I took over the post until my 2nd child was born and then had to turn it over because work and taking care of two kids didn't leave me much time. Both of my kids went into scouting. My son was in the Explorer Post my PD started up and my daughter was in Girl Scouts all the way through high school. I became one of her scout leaders when the other mothers back out. My daughter and her friend worked on a project and earned the Silver Award. Without the support I got while in Explorers, I don't know if I would have gone to college and gotten my job. I still keep in touch with some of my friends I met in Explorers.