Putting a large trunk on your scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Atony

Putting a large trunk on your scooter

Post by Atony »

So I recently got a Buddy Roughhouse 50. I love it so far but I wanted more storage so I bought this large trunk to go with it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TH ... UTF8&psc=1

Anyone ever tried to put a trunk this large on the buddy rear rack? I can't seem to get it to work. Should I return it for a smaller trunk?

Thanks.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I had that same trunk on my Scarabeo 500. it's HUGE for the RH50. Held 2 helmets side by side.

make sure to tighten it down well, and check frequently. I also wouldn't put very much weight in there while moving, or it will eventually stress the rear rack and possibly break it.

I have a 29L one on my buddy, the shad. It is smaller but has held up well.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Keep in mind if you're already aware of this, no disrespect meant, that the factory 'grab bar' is not designed to accept anything though others have successfully attached small baskets to them.
I have a large basket 13x18 inches attached to the 'after market' rear rack.
Yes weight is about the only limatition, some have reported cracks and breaks in the rack and scooter frame.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

I have the optional larger rear rack on my RH50, but it is not a lot larger. The case you mention looks huge, and I worry it would not be very stable. I have a Shad 33 on mine, and wouldn't want anything larger. I have enough room for a full face helmet, gloves, plus a little extra.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
Atony

Post by Atony »

Keep in mind if you're already aware of this, no disrespect meant, that the factory 'grab bar' is not designed to accept anything though others have successfully attached small baskets to them.
I have a large basket 13x18 inches attached to the 'after market' rear rack.
I take no offense. I was not aware that the bars that comes on the Rough House 50 are not intended so serve as a base for a rack. I just assumed that is what it was there for.