Buddy Upgrades or Blur 220i

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

iamryan25

Buddy Upgrades or Blur 220i

Post by iamryan25 »

Hi all.

Been wanting faster mid range acceleration, a higher top speed, a smoother ride and the brakes to go along with it.

I've got a Buddy 125 with ncy cdi, prima pipe and upped main jet.

I'm at somewhat of a cross roads here.

I can add the bbk bvh carb shock forks and brake to the buddy or get a blur.

My scooter is my daily driver as I don't have a car.

Really considering the upgrade to a blur if it can hold an actual 70mph with my 165 pound person
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Trade it in for a used Vespa 250 or 300...
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

No vespa dealers in my state
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Then a Blur or another brand might be the best bet to go....
toot

Post by toot »

Honda Forza.. Sat on one today.. I have a PCX 150 love it, but would love the 300cc. Take a look
zuki

Post by zuki »

The blur is a great scooter I loved mine but for holding 70 might be a little much for it.The blur would do 70 but that's about all it would do and probably not good on it to do that for very long period of time. If you want to stay with a scooter I would suggest a Yamaha Majesty 400cc, they are a little bigger but will do 70mph(will do over 100mph) all day long as they are water cooled so the high rpms dont hurt it.You can usually pick up a used one for the price of a new blur. I sold my blur and bought a majesty and loved it,but then I sold the majesty and bought a motorcycle.I missed having a scooter so I bought a used buddy 125 best of both worlds,Scooter for around town and motorcycle for road trips.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Try a Kymco Yager, or of SYM's "200" cc offerings: The HD200 EVO and RV200 EVO. Any of them can run over 70 all day long with little trouble, they're liquid cooled and come with dual disc brakes.

I pulled 74mph on my Yager with new Power Pures, 18gr Dr. Pulley sliders, a Simota high-flow filter, the belt worn to the service limit and a 260lb rider. With a fresh belt and a hundred-pound-lighter rider, it'd fly!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Where do you live, and how far is the nearest Vespa/Piaggio dealer? I think the Vespa 250/300 is an excellent suggestion if you want a largely traditional scooter with highway capability. If a solid suspension and power at speed is your primary requirement - I chose a BV 350 for that purpose and have never looked back.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

depending on where you're at, it's a fine line once you need to hold that speed. I had a 250cc Kymco, and then bumped up to a 500cc Aprilia.

The 500cc was obviously plenty, very powerful, plenty of brakes, etc.

The issue is once they get that size, they tend to be pricey. Then you want a good dealer to back you up. If you don't have that, you need to be very comfy working on your own stuff. Parts for maxi scoots are also never cheap, though they tend to need them much less frequently.

Barring that, a smaller motorcycle in the sub 500cc range would be able to handle the job with ease, and likely be available used for vastly cheaper.

For either I'd suggest Kymco, Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki, since you can get parts or service if you're not lucky enough to have a dealer that stocks bigger scoots.

The Bv350 in that range would also be a good fit, but if you don't have a Vespa dealer then chances are you done have a Piaggio dealer either.
skipper20

Re: Buddy Upgrades or Blur 220i

Post by skipper20 »

iamryan25 wrote:Hi all.

Been wanting faster mid range acceleration, a higher top speed, a smoother ride and the brakes to go along with it.

I've got a Buddy 125 with ncy cdi, prima pipe and upped main jet.

I'm at somewhat of a cross roads here.

I can add the bbk bvh carb shock forks and brake to the buddy or get a blur.

My scooter is my daily driver as I don't have a car.

Really considering the upgrade to a blur if it can hold an actual 70mph with my 165 pound person
I weigh 170 lbs. dripping wet and I'm 5' 11" tall. The best I've been able to do with my '11 220i Blur at WOT straight and level highway is 67 mph. That was GPS indicated with the speedo optimistically showing 72 mph. So, while the Blur is a fantastic sport scooter with looks that can kill (see my post on Blur Sex Appeal) it's not a freeway cruiser. If you need 70 mph with a bit of reserve so that you're not doing WOT 70 all the time, you need 300 cc as a minimum. My personal choice, already mentioned by another poster, is the Yamaha Majesty 400. I had one for about 3 years, loved it, but it got a bit too heavy for my 75 year old legs when coming up to a stop. I sold it to a MB list member, who, like you, had a Buddy 125, that she used as a trade-in. She, like you, wanted a scooter that could hold an actual 70 mph. She definitely got it with the Yamaha Majesty 400.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

az_slynch wrote:Try a Kymco Yager, or of SYM's "200" cc offerings: The HD200 EVO and RV200 EVO. Any of them can run over 70 all day long with little trouble, they're liquid cooled and come with dual disc brakes.
I agree with this. Also in this class of scooter would be the Scarabeo 200.

I have the BBK and all the fancy mods on my Psycho. It makes a world of difference. The 161 Buddy is not at all the same scoot as the stock 125. Still, if what you're really after is a daily commuter that can hold minimal freeway speeds for extended runs, you should consider a scooter that was built for that purpose such as any of the "200" series mentioned above.

An upgraded Buddy is really an upgrade of fun for what the Buddy already does well. It doesn't change the fundamental design of the scooter by transforming it into a freeway commuter.
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

Perhaps my initial 70mph expectation was too high. Is holding 65 more reasonable?

Not really needing freeway as much as I'd like to ride twisty mountain highway and really want the added mid range punch.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

iamryan25 wrote:Perhaps my initial 70mph expectation was too high. Is holding 65 more reasonable?

Not really needing freeway as much as I'd like to ride twisty mountain highway and really want the added mid range punch.
I can maintain a real 65 mph on the 161cc kitted Psycho (or with the 2009 Seafoam Buddy 125 that I kitted to 161cc), but I'm also 20 lbs lighter than you, and I'm tucked at these speeds.

If your main goal is to make the Buddy more powerful for riding the twisties, then, yes, a BBK, carburetor and intake manifold will get you what you're looking for.

On the other hand, the same advantages that make the Buddy fun in town and in the canyons ultimately make it not the best scooter for daily extended freeway use - even though it is capable of riding on the freeway with a BBK set-up.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I'm at the same weight and my blur will top out at 65 mph. It's a sport scooter, brakes and handling are phenomenal, it's a blast as an around town light to light bike. I would not recommend for a daily commuter at sustained WOT.

I also have a Buddy 125 with a 161, opened air box bigger carb and ncy pipe. It's fast...for a Buddy. I haven't GPSed it but I don't think it hits a true 70mph.

Where is the Genuine Cruiser when someone really needs one?
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
thespivster

Post by thespivster »

I have had my Blur for about a month now. I'm a big guy 6'1" 220. I can ride at 60 with a little wiggle room. I can hit 65...I HAVE hit 68 once. 55-60 is cruising speed. It handles downright awesome compared to any other scooter I've ridden.

The only thing that comes close handling-wise is my wife's Vespa LX-150i.e. But even that sucked until I added over $500 worth of Bitubo suspension.

My take on things is, if you need highway riding AND want handling worthy of twisties...then it's time to learn how to shift and get yourself a motorcycle. Scooters are for fun city riding off of the freeway OR maxi-scooters are for long highway driving on relatively straight roads. Maxi's are not twisty fun.

In my opinion the best overall ride for someone who doesn't want the ridiculous power of a sport bike but wants 70-90 mph sustained AND handling that's more sport and less luxury has only a few options. None are scooters.

In order of power:
Suzuki TU250
Royal Enfield Bullit
Moto Guzzi R7
Triumph Bonneville
skully93

Post by skully93 »

thespivster wrote: In my opinion the best overall ride for someone who doesn't want the ridiculous power of a sport bike but wants 70-90 mph sustained AND handling that's more sport and less luxury has only a few options. None are scooters.

In order of power:
Suzuki TU250
Royal Enfield Bullit
Moto Guzzi R7
Triumph Bonneville
All are excellent choices. However if you are stuck on not wanting to shift, you also have the Honda 700x series. My CTX can be auto if you want (I shift it most of the time) and has abs. Still gets 70mpg with my frame on it. If you're taller you can get the nc700x, which has room for your helmet where most would have a gas tank. Shift models are cheaper and offer very smooth shifting.

A Forza is probably also awesome. They aren't as pretty but they're very nice to sit on and offer great protection from the elements.
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

Thanks for all the input!

Really am more interested in feedback on which people would choose to do between upgrading a buddy or switching to a blur.

It's not that I don't want to shift, it's that I want to ride a scooter, and I like the small profile of the buddy. Also really really like the pgo line.

I'm guessing the kitted buddy will have more mid range punch than the blur, anyone ridden both?
thespivster

Post by thespivster »

Oh I forgot about the new Honda 700s!!! Not all the versions are in the US yet. The Forza is fast I'm sure but something about it is unappealing. The ride is also not suited to any type of spirited cornering. I feels like it's on pogo sticks, like most stock scooters. (And many stock motorcycles for that matter!)

I haven't ridden the 700's but they look promising.

One of these days I'd like to see what one of these would do dropped into a buddy or similar scoot!!:

[Url]http://gy6store.com/TAIDA-233CC-LONG-CA ... -WHITE.htm[/url
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

iamryan25 wrote:Thanks for all the input!

Really am more interested in feedback on which people would choose to do between upgrading a buddy or switching to a blur.

It's not that I don't want to shift, it's that I want to ride a scooter, and I like the small profile of the buddy. Also really really like the pgo line.

I'm guessing the kitted buddy will have more mid range punch than the blur, anyone ridden both?
Yes...I own both...check my post above

That would be a tough call. The Blur has better handling and suspension, it is a tall scooter. The Buddy is just right in so many ways.

As far as mid range acceleration I would say they are pretty close with the Blur taking the edge YMMV. For storage...the Buddy has more and has the front cubby for coffee, water and junk.

Price wise it is probably cheaper to kit a Buddy than buy a new scooter. That being said used Blurs are usually a good deal...I stole mine.

If you have a dealer near you go and sit on a Blur...not everyone likes the "fit". I will say that as much as I love my Buddy the Blur is more fun to ride

The Buddy 125 is carbed the Blur is FI...both have their advantages and disadvantages.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

BuddyRaton wrote:I also have a Buddy 125 with a 161, opened air box bigger carb and ncy pipe. It's fast...for a Buddy. I haven't GPSed it but I don't think it hits a true 70mph.
Do you also have the intake manifold on your 161 Buddy? It seems to make a real difference. I can hit a GPS verified 70 mph on the Psycho.

Between the two 161s that I kitted (2012 Pyscho and 2009 Seafoam) the Psycho pulls much stronger on the top end where I suspect that the larger carburetor and intake manifold make a difference. (26 mm carburetor on Psycho / Buddy Blackjack (stock 150 cc) carburetor on Seafoam). Both scoots run about equal on the low end where the Psycho only has a slight advantage, but the Psycho easily pulls away above 45 mph.

In truth the set up on the Psycho is probably faster at all speeds that the BBK/150 carb setup on the Seafoam since I'm 40lbs heavier on the Psycho than the person riding the Seafoam Buddy 161.

Unfortunately I can't attribute the better performance of the Psycho 161 to the Seafoam Buddy 161 solely to the larger carburetor and intake manifold. The Psycho does have different gearing than the other Buddy scooters, and this may be a large contributor to the different performance characteristics. But in any case the Psycho with the larger carburetor and intake manifold does pull harder than the Seafoam Buddy with the 150 intake manifold and carburetor.

The point is that quite a bit of performance can be squeezed out of these little Buddies, but on the other hand, after adding the BBK you pretty quickly find yourself on the flat end of the cost-to-benefit curve. If you anticipate ending up there it might be time to consider simply getting a larger size/displacement scooter unless you really loves the Buddies the way we do. :)
CEZ2011

Post by CEZ2011 »

In this case I would recommend going with the Blur.
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

Why not a hooligan or buddy 170i?
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

BuddyRaton wrote:

Yes...I own both...check my post above

That would be a tough call. The Blur has better handling and suspension, it is a tall scooter. The Buddy is just right in so many ways.

As far as mid range acceleration I would say they are pretty close with the Blur taking the edge YMMV. For storage...the Buddy has more and has the front cubby for coffee, water and junk.

Price wise it is probably cheaper to kit a Buddy than buy a new scooter. That being said used Blurs are usually a good deal...I stole mine.

If you have a dealer near you go and sit on a Blur...not everyone likes the "fit". I will say that as much as I love my Buddy the Blur is more fun to ride

The Buddy 125 is carbed the Blur is FI...both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Thanks for the comparison. I was hoping to hear to blur is maybe a little quicker and is more fun.

If i went with the Blur I would likely sell my buddy to afford a new blur.

The local dealer won't stock the Blur as it is not popular here so I don't have a chance to sit on one or test drive before ordering.

That said, I happen to work for the local dealer and get one hell of an employee discount so I'd probably go with a new Blur (versus used) and will haveto pay for it and order it before riding it.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

iamryan25 wrote:The local dealer won't stock the Blur as it is not popular here so I don't have a chance to sit on one or test drive before ordering.
Of course that is one of the drawbacks to the Blur. It is not a big seller anywhere. That means it is not easy to try one out, and they are darned hard to resell if you decide the bike does not suit you.
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

You've all been very helpful in reminding me how much I really like the Buddy and will focus on upgrades on this scooter versus switching to a Blur. After reading what I just wrote I'm now wanting a Blur. Darn you PGO for making cool scooters. :)
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

My 170i is a great bike. I take it freeway riding to work and back all the time. It gives me a consistent 60mph and allows me to go a little beyond that if needed.

I thought about the Blur, I just didn't see the upside to owning one when it under performs, as far as I can tell, compared to the 170i.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Hooligan might be a good middle ground, but since you already own the Buddy...

I really like the suspension upgrades for sure.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

iamryan25 wrote:You've all been very helpful in reminding me how much I really like the Buddy and will focus on upgrades on this scooter versus switching to a Blur. After reading what I just wrote I'm now wanting a Blur. Darn you PGO for making cool scooters. :)
If you go for the upgrades please start a new thread to keep us updated on the mods!
www.teamscootertrash.com