What's better: leather or miracle textile?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

snoozy

What's better: leather or miracle textile?

Post by snoozy »

Thinking about jackets now. Long ago a motorcyclist told me leather was the way to go, but 40 years ago they didn't have kevlar and who knows what all miracle textiles for motorcycle jackets and pants. What do you think?

Also, black and asphalt are the most common colors for jackets available...seems kind foolish to me, when visibility is surely as big a factor in scooter safety as armored elbows.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I have leather for cold weather, mesh/textile for hot, hoodie for in between. Armor in all of them. If it's well made, either textile or leather will offer good protection from road rash. The question is what's going to be comfortable enough that you'll wear it.

Leather jackets are going to give you the fewest high-visibility options, simply because no one's making cattle with fluorescent or reflective skin. But it's not hard to find textile jackets in hi-vis colors.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Leather still provides great abrasion resistance. It has some disadvantages when you want high visibility or warm weather options. As TVB observes, most everyone owns more than one riding jacket.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Both and neither. It really depends on the jacket and its other features: comfort and fit, armor, weather protection, lining, pockets, etc.

Leather doesn't breathe well yet only heavy leathers are impermeable to wind. It also doesn't do well in rain. Good leather can also be much more expensive than textiles.

You're still going to want impact protection, and it's easier to construct comfortable textile jackets with good armor. Of course, racers wear leathers, but those are expensive and, well, look like racer leathers.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I have 3 accumulated jackets. All have removable liners for colder weather riding. One is a denim with armor, one is a textile with armor, one is a mesh with armor.

The mesh one is hi viz yellow and is totally cool in hot weather. It is a Fullmer brand.

The others are Tourmaster Cortech jackets bought on clearance on Ebay from Motorcycle Superstore.

I've also got a hi viz yellow reflective vest from Olympia that I can wear over any of them.

Shop around online, read reviews, and try on what you can in local shops.

I am an 18/20 womens' and have to wear the mens' versions of these in XL/XXL.

They all seem to run small.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

I prefer leather for it's adsorptive properties. Many of the "miracle" textile jackets consist of rather thin layers of shear/tear-resistant cloths. These materials may not tear but they offer little protection against friction burns or heat burns.

I've essentially stopped wearing my textile jackets and now wear leather in both summer and winter. I find that a perforated leather jacket keeps me cooler than a textile equivalent by being equally well ventilated but better at protecting from the heat of the sun.
Last edited by Christophers on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

This discussion reminds me of an episode of Hollywood Squares. The question to Paul Lynde was "Why do motorcyclists wear leather?". His response was "Because chiffon wrinkles so easily". Blew half a can of Pepsi through both nostrils when I heard it.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

charlie55 wrote:This discussion reminds me of an episode of Hollywood Squares. The question to Paul Lynde was "Why do motorcyclists wear leather?". His response was "Because chiffon wrinkles so easily". Blew half a can of Pepsi through both nostrils when I heard it.
I loved Paul Lynde! He was one funny guy!

Sorely missed...

:D
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

charlie55 wrote:This discussion reminds me of an episode of Hollywood Squares. The question to Paul Lynde was "Why do motorcyclists wear leather?". His response was "Because chiffon wrinkles so easily". Blew half a can of Pepsi through both nostrils when I heard it.
Circle gets the square!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Personally, I wear textile. If I want hi-viz, I got a vest for that that goes over the jacket. I gave up on relying on the jacket for rain protection: sure, it's got a waterproof membrane, but the outer fabric soaks up a few pounds of water and takes a day or two to dry back out. I keep a rain jacket and trousers in the pet carrier. The two take up little space and only a couple minutes to put on. :)
Leather is typically double the price (at least) of textile. Textile doesn't really require special care; leather needs regular maintenance to keep it conditioned. Those I know that wear leather condition their gear every few months, depending on how particular they are. (Most swear by Huberd's Shoe Grease.)
That said, I'd love to get a leather jacket. I'm not ditching my textile jacket, though.