Tips for buying used?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

snoozy

Tips for buying used?

Post by snoozy »

In the FAQs and Guides section, this section has yet to be developed, so I thought I'd ask here: When I'm looking at a used Buddy, what trouble points should I keep an eye out for? What should I check/test (if I can)?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Should start easily with the electric starter and idle without stalling.

Scooter will rev high at first (auto-choke), then idle should drop slightly and remain stable.

Scooter should not stall when given throttle (indicative of carburetor issues).

Check tires for tread, uneven wear and cupping. Make sure rims are not bent or dented.

Check front suspension and forks for signs of damage or warping.

Check all electrical functions, lights, signals and switches.

Check for oil leaking under the scooter or built up on the bottom of scooter, especially the crankcase. (This is the only one I might consider a "dealkiller.")

Check for oil leaking on rear tire or around gearbox.

Examine front brake pads for wear.

If you get to ride it, it should accelerate fairly smoothly though maybe not evenly throughout the power band. Listen for rattling, whining or whistling from the left side. Also check for "slipping" when accelerating or when letting up ion the throttle. These are probable transmission issues. If they don't let you ride it, maybe you can observe the owner riding to see how it accelerates and brakes.

Look for non-OEM parts. If it's pre-modified with a lot of non-stock stuff, walk away. You have no idea what's in there or how it was installed. If you want a tricked-out Buddy, best to do it yourself or pay someone you trust.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

If anyone wants to add to this, I'll turn it into a FAQ. :)

It's been discussed before, too. So search may turn up more suggestions.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

One that has sat for 3 mos+ or for years and with low miles should set off some warning bells.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

ericalm wrote:Look for non-OEM parts. If it's pre-modified with a lot of non-stock stuff, walk away. You have no idea what's in there or how it was installed. If you want a tricked-out Buddy, best to do it yourself or pay someone you trust.
Wow. That opinion is particularly biased... and I have to disagree. At best I consider it to be largely wrong and at worst to be bad advice.

I've bought bikes that were stock and others that were heavily modified with non-OEM parts. I've also heavily modified several bikes with non-OEM parts. It's expensive. Some of my best purchases were when I've bought bikes that were modified by the previous owner.

There is no correlation between the quality and durability of stock versus non-OEM based on that criteria alone. Some stock parts are wonderful. Others are crap. The same is true of non-OEM parts. Buddy owners are lucky in that most of the stock parts fall into the former category, but the Buddy community has also identified a large number of non-OEM parts that are similarly robust and reliable. Likewise both OEM and aftermarket parts can be well installed or poorly installed.

It would be much better advice to recommend that a potential buyer be familiar with anything that is non-OEM on a scoot and who/how/why it was installed. In some cases certain aftermarket modifications might be a red flag, but in a lot of cases the buyer is probably getting a great bargain. It does take more knowledge and background research to understand the value (or liability) of a given non-OEM modification, but that is no reason to walk away. Same story with installation.

Modding a scooter takes time, money, knowledge, money and time. If the previous owner has already invested this in his/her scooter they are probably selling to you at a fraction of their cost. In the case of Buddies, thanks in large part to this forum, there are many many non-OEM parts (and OEM parts) that have a well established track record for performance and reliability. The quality of any given installation can also be judged with the right records and questions whether it was done professionally or by the owner.

I suspect your comments are largely motivated by considering the common "restoration" jobs seen with vintage "Vespas" - situations where non-OEM parts may mean panels entirely made of Bondo. These are indeed to be avoided but are in a completely different category of non-OEM part when compared to reputable and well established non-OEM upgrades.

Discounting obvious bodgejobs and sketchy home-engineered modifications, maintenance, use and storage history are almost always going to be the predominant factors determining a scooter's quality.
Last edited by Christophers on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Whimscootie wrote:One that has sat for 3 mos+ or for years and with low miles should set off some warning bells.
Yes. This is true, but again... It should not be taken as a black or white litmus test of the quality of the scooter.

Buying a scooter that has sat unused for an extended period of time will likely require an oil and fuel change, but it could easily also require a new battery and several other maitenance items. Be sure to check the tires on any older scooter - even if unused - for cracks in the sidewalls or tread due to age.

One of the Buddies that we own is a 2006 Sunset Buddy 125 that sat unused and garaged for two years before I bought it. It started and ran smoothly on the first (and subsequent) try(s) and otherwise everything looked good and functioned properly. It was a great buy. It has been 100% reliable, fun and trouble-free for the past 5 years and 8,000 miles.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

on a non-mechanical note, make sure the title is in hand and double check that the VIN # on the title matches the VIN # on the scoot.

NO TITLE.....NO MONEY!!!
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

Lots of good pointers! Keep 'em coming, folks -- we're going to check out a Buddy this weekend :)