2014 Roughhouse tail light, possibly wiring issue.

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

AtomicDunk

2014 Roughhouse tail light, possibly wiring issue.

Post by AtomicDunk »

First I'd like to mention this is my first post, my first scooter (although I've had it for 2+years), and my first time working on anything mechanical by myself, so I apologize for my noobness. Also, this community looks amazing and I'm really disappointed I haven't joined before now and very excited to be an active member now and in the future. But anyways, on to the pandering for help lol...

Recently my tail light went out but would still illuminate when the break was applied. I bought an LED 1157 replacement from Walmart and installed it myself yesterday before commuting to work (The RH50 is my primary mode of transportation.) When I removed the old bulb one if the filaments was definitely broken so I know, at the very least, that was part of the issue.

After installing the LED replacement I checked that it lit up while idling and it did. When I applied the brake the light stayed lit but would barely flicker for a split second, at the time I couldn't notice if it got any brighter. It was a bright sunny day and I just thought maybe I couldn't notice it while in direct sunlight. Satisfied with it now working without the brake applied I rode it to work, checking it was was still working at every stoplight.

After my shift ended at 6am my scooter was covered in morning dew which may or may not be significant but I don't want to leave out any details. Anyways I put in the key, flip the kill switch to ON, turn key to ON and check the tail light, nothing. Start it up and still not lighting up. I apply the brake and it lights up fine. So I'm stumped.

The old bulb had a broken filament so I know that was the problem with that bulb and needed to be replaced regardless.

It worked fine right after installing the LED, atleast in terms of lighting up with and without brake being applied.

My questions for you all:

Could it be some type of wiring issue that arose coincidentally at same time the filament burnt out on the bulb? If so why did it work for a few miles and then stop again after sitting for a few hours. Could the morning dew have contributed to the problem returning?

I'm willing to tackle any repairs/diagnostics on my own I just don't know where to start. I have a multimeter on hand but not 100% sure how to use it to test wiring let alone what wires and where. I really love this scooter and am eager to learn everything I can from this great group so any and all advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance and sorry for the huge post, I'm just trying to be thorough. I work in tech/software support and understand how frustrating it can be when someone is vague when describing a problem. Let me know if there's anything else I can provide to help!
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Many of those cheap LED's can be awful, not to mention dimmer. The new Cree-style bulbs are better, but I doubt Walmart has those yet. I would pick up a standard 1157 bulb and try that before you get too crazy.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

I concur. . .get the 1157 replacement Bulb for now.
AtomicDunk

Post by AtomicDunk »

I took your advice on it being a cheap LED bulb and swapped it out. Luckily I bought a two pack and lo and behold it works. The contacts on the first one weren't raised nearly as predominantly as the one installed now. Works like a charm, thanks for your all's insight a DOA bulb is the last thing I'd have expected.
vmaxrattler110

Post by vmaxrattler110 »

It is probably trying to run the running light on ac power. You need dc power for led lights to work well. See my thread about installing my motodynamic tail light.

You need to connect the running light to the orange wire at the ignition switch. It'll fix your flickering problem. The other circuits are already dc for the brake and blinkers.