Summer Riding Gear

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Vogue

Summer Riding Gear

Post by Vogue »

I did a search, but didn't see much written since about '06 on this.

How do you keep safe in the summer (Both from falls and heat stroke)? As temperatures in Boston this week have been over 90 degrees and it's been incredibly humid, I'm finding that I don't know how to dress.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Mesh gear and hydration.

I still wear a jacket and pants (Olympia Airglide), motorcycle boots (BMW Air), gloves (A* mesh) and a helmet in the summer (just south of you). Keep moving. Soak a bandana or Buff in cold water and wear it on your neck. If it's a joyride, soak your shirt in cold water.

I just rode 20 days from Key West, Florida to Rhode Island in full-on non-mesh gear. I stopped about every hour and downed a bottle of water or Gatorade when in FL and GA. I soaked my shirt and Buff in gas station bathroom sinks. I cooled down in gas station A/C.

STAY HYDRATED. If you realize you're making mistakes, get off the bike.
Syd

Post by Syd »

siobhan wrote:Mesh gear and hydration.

I still wear a jacket and pants (Olympia Airglide), motorcycle boots (BMW Air), gloves (A* mesh) and a helmet in the summer (just south of you). Keep moving. Soak a bandana or Buff in cold water and wear it on your neck. If it's a joyride, soak your shirt in cold water.

I just rode 20 days from Key West, Florida to Rhode Island in full-on non-mesh gear. I stopped about every hour and downed a bottle of water or Gatorade when in FL and GA. I soaked my shirt and Buff in gas station bathroom sinks. I cooled down in gas station A/C.

STAY HYDRATED. If you realize you're making mistakes, get off the bike.
:+!: What siobhan said (Key West to RI without mesh? I'm so sorry).

I have a FirstGear Mesh Tex jacket, this one, in fact. As long as you are moving, it is cooler with the mesh jacket on than without a jacket. Still hot at stop lights, though.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Mesh.

Meshy mesh mesh.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Syd wrote::+!: What siobhan said (Key West to RI without mesh? I'm so sorry).
It made sense in the mountains of NC, my beloved WV, and PA, NY, CT and RI. Coooool and rainy.

Water water water water water water water water. Hydrate.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Mesh, yes, as all have said.

Pretty happy with my Corazzo jacket, Firstgear Mesh Lo boots and Rev'it Mesh pants.

I haven't been happy with most mesh gloves I've had. I opt for leather, sometimes perforated.

Base layers are also very important. I've become a fan of Terramar and Columbia's Omni Freeze line. For socks, Smartwool ultralight or, my faves for heat, the Wrightsox dual layer. I never thought "moisture wicking" would become such an important feature to me.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
KrispyKreme

This won't go over well.

Post by KrispyKreme »

I wear shorts, a fleece full jacket. Paid and it counts.

In my defense, I wear a FF LS and it's ok. I wear a good pair shoes. Low-top...

http://www.amazon.com/Caterpillar-Mens- ... llar+shoes

These. If I skid? Road rash........otherwise, it is probably going to happen anyway.

This all said, after three years(3) of commuting I have learned one thing. Dress for the crash. Submit for the insurance.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

ericalm wrote:Base layers are also very important. I've become a fan of Terramar and Columbia's Omni Freeze line. For socks, Smartwool ultralight or, my faves for heat, the Wrightsox dual layer. I never thought "moisture wicking" would become such an important feature to me.

This is great advice.

Eric, I like how you "measure" your replys. It makes you better than another site. I forget the name. Honestly, I don't give a shit.

Crazy thought. You are grinding it out. I Love David at that dealership. I've met 3 people I love on this shit. I find that a fantastic find. Three people who I can call, and we then are making plans.

May be out of line.........

David of SO is probably my compass. Im good, Im bad. David knows instinctitely(sp) where it is. David would pick you up, bounce, buy you three eggs, up easy, hashys, onions, and the coffee better be good.

That is one area Dave would put his foot down.

Love you brother-Dan
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KrispyKreme wrote:May be out of line.........

David of SO is probably my compass. Im good, Im bad. David knows instinctitely(sp) where it is. David would pick you up, bounce, buy you three eggs, up easy, hashys, onions, and the coffee better be good.

Love you brother-Dan
David at VSO?

He's quite a character.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
DariaSen

Post by DariaSen »

All of the above but I would also add some of the Omni Freeze clothing from Columbia. I got the tanks and the sleeves for riding and (especially in New England humidity) cools you down significantly under a jacket.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Mesh armored jacket, cargo shorts (yeah, I know...I'm saving up for mesh pants to slide up over nylon shorts), Cortech gloves, half or 3/4 helmet, Smartwool socks, and ankle high light athletic boots or sneakers.

I've also ridden in Keen sandals with hard rubber toes with no socks out on short country back road jaunts.

If it's really hot I ditch the jacket, ride in a high viz vest, or stay home.

If it's too hot I also ride for recreation in the early morning or late evening.

I'd rather ride the way I do (short rides, less traveled roads for the most part) than sit home in the heat of the summer.

I realize I do take some chances and have been doing so for 7 years. Otherwise I'd have given up riding that first scorching summer in 2007.

I'm guessing that is why a lot of scoots get purchased in the spring and then sit all summer and sold in the fall or next spring.

:roll:
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
RexM

Cooling vest, etc.

Post by RexM »

Not sure how effective it would be in 90% humidity, but I'm quite pleased with my cooling vest: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BDU3QA, which I always wear under a mesh jacket. Humidity was reported at 40% today, and at 95 degrees I did not find its cooling effect noticeably diminished. You could test with a soaked shirt—if that helps, the cooling vest will too. The difference between them is that the vest retains moisture for 2 to 4 times longer than a shirt, and is nicer to deal with.

For what it's worth, I keep ATGATT during the summer. Two hours of commute time five days a week, plus any weekend riding. I like Rev'It because they have more choices in light colors. They aren't the only brand that does, but black seems common with others, which makes me wonder if their designers have ever ridden in heat. I wear regular work boots, nothing special, and moisture wicking socks if I have a clean pair handy, but mostly I just figure hot feet are unavoidable and aren't, in and of themselves, going to give me heatstroke.

I use a full face helmet. I experimented with removing my face shield and wearing sunglasses, but at 110 degrees the wind just burns your face. I prefer the helmet's intended ventilation, which channels air over a sweaty head (gross, but that's reality) and has a net cooler effect than the hairdryer in your face sensation of an open helmet.

My summer gloves are the el-cheapo 29'ers from Icon. I don't expect they would be great in a slide, or that they are keeping me significantly cooler than a more protective alternative, but they are what I have presently.

Last but not least, baby powder (or Gold Bond, whatever).

Do everything you can to stay cool, but in the end it comes down to accepting this truth: sweat or bleed. You get used to it. Stay hydrated and your body can tolerate more than you think.
Last edited by RexM on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Re: Cooling vest, etc.

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

RexM wrote: You get used to it. Stay hydrated and your body can tolerate more than you think.
I'm a Marine Vet and had one deployment to Afghanistan. This is true. 120-140*, body armor, helmet, combat load, twill camies, combat boots; you get used to it and just drink a lot of water.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Not everybody "gets used to it" or wants to or is able to.

Some people do succumb to "heat stroke" or just plain pass out in the heat.

Let's be realistic here.

RexM

Post by RexM »

Whimscootie wrote:Not everybody "gets used to it" or wants to or is able to.

Some people do succumb to "heat stroke" or just plain pass out in the heat.

Let's be realistic here.

How about this: people who are in moderately good health, not otherwise unduly susceptible to heat related conditions, and take the appropriate precautions can, if they wish to, get used to it. Is that OK?
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

"...can, if they wish to, get used to it. Is that OK?"

No, that is not an accurate statement. Not everyone has that capacity.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Whimscootie wrote:"...can, if they wish to, get used to it. Is that OK?"

No, that is not an accurate statement. Not everyone has that capacity.
Which is why he added all those qualifications acknowledging that fact.

Are you being deliberately obtuse and argumentative?
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I've used this jacket for the past few years. It's very affordable and I love it. Just have to replace the armor from time to time.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/cl ... acket.html

Otherwise, I always wear a FFH and summer gloves. I cannot say that I wear safety pants and shoes all the time though.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Mbates50

Post by Mbates50 »

The common theme is to wear SOMETHING. Remember, if/when you hit the ground, that pair of pants could be your first layer of skin if wearing shorts.
"Put the top down. What could possibly go wrong?"
-JFK-
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

ericalm wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:May be out of line.........

Love you brother-Dan
David at VSO?

He's quite a character.
Yup. He's always been quite kind, funny, honest, generous and funny...it needed to be said twice. :)