Prima Buddy Rear Rack fit issue - HELP -

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sabcrazy13

Prima Buddy Rear Rack fit issue - HELP -

Post by sabcrazy13 »

Ordered a new rear rack for the Buddy from scooterworks, then when it arrived and I attempted to install it in place of the old one, but the mounting position for the bolts next to the seat do not line up.. i can get the kickstand side(left) and the center support screws to line up but not the right side.

I retrofitted the old rack with a wood support, in place of the metal support bar that broke, for the time being but i would really like to replace the old rack or hope to make the one i ordered work...

Help
Thanks
Many of my Friends call me Mr. Fun.
Max fun at all times!!!

For Los Angeles Area Scooter group rides and events check out the Meetup:

http://www.meetup.com/LAScooterGroup/
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

It's probably slightly bent. I had to hit mine a couple times with a rubber mallet to make it fit. I bought mine as an open box item though so i didn't expect it to be perfect.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

If memory serves me correctly this has been an ongoing issue with these racks. From past post's on the subject you need to finagle the two side brackets in place then get the rear support bolted down.
Hope this helps.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

agrogod wrote:If memory serves me correctly this has been an ongoing issue with these racks. From past post's on the subject you need to finagle the two side brackets in place then get the rear support bolted down.
Hope this helps.
Spot on.. with LOTS (TONS) of patience!

Don't give up, don't insist on starting on the left side, try starting on the other side and only get maybe 1 full turn on the first side screw, then the other side making sure they are not cross threaded then drop the rear over the stud and slowly tighten each one alternating between them.

Once it is on you will feel SO much better.
Attachments
If at first you dont succes William-E-Hickson.jpg
If at first you dont succes William-E-Hickson.jpg (56.38 KiB) Viewed 978 times
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I just went through this frustration with my rear rack.

There's a thread under technical you might want to view.

I started with the back center bolt, wound up leaving out the same washer as that poster.

Loosely put on the starboard bolt, then struggled to get the port one to take hold. All of a sudden it grabbed the threads and then I tightened them all down.

Keep workin' it...
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Whimscootie wrote:...All of a sudden it grabbed the threads and then I tightened them all down.

Keep workin' it...
Yep once it is on it is a relief, you tend to forget about the pain, and then how funny it can be once it grabs and you are home free.

I believe we are up to installing 9 rear racks on our family of scooters and it is a quick way to be humbled just when you think you got it down.
sabcrazy13

Post by sabcrazy13 »

Thanks all for the helpful advice and tips.

My girlfriend and i were successful at installing the rack by trying every possible combination of starting with the right side, the left side, and even the rear center bolt as our starting position.

In the end i don't even remember which side we did first i just know we lined up the rear center bolt last and had to pull in opposite directions; her holding the scooter and me pulling on the rack to get it to line up properly.
Max fun at all times!!!

snoozy

Post by snoozy »

I haven't gotten the back rack yet...is the issue that the side bars are too close or too far apart?
sabcrazy13

Post by sabcrazy13 »

they were too narrow, or at least they seemed to be, but with a little muscle and patience we were able to get it on in about ten minutes...
Max fun at all times!!!

snoozy

Post by snoozy »

So maybe one could take a carjack or something like that and prize the bars apart somehow?...
sabcrazy13

Post by sabcrazy13 »

i simply stood on one side and yanked on the other side and spread it out a bit but if it still isnt enough a jack or something along those lines might be in order at that point.
Max fun at all times!!!

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Sounds like what I went through with the Faco rear rack for the Stella. It's made to fit the P/PX/Stella 2T AND Stella 4T, so nothing seemed to line up out of the box. 7 bolts in all.