I got 99 problems and a 6 inch curb is one.

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

srbbnd

I got 99 problems and a 6 inch curb is one.

Post by srbbnd »

I recently moved and I to my surprise when I moved the house is high up with a brick wall surrounding it, stairs, fence and curbs. It is in the center of town next to bars. I know if I leave my scooter out in the parking spots a drunk person will frak with it. I have a fenced in yard but the only way to it is through a gate right next to a handicap spot which is always vacant. I have made a makeshift ramp, but the bar said it was against the law which is understandable. I never thought six inches could be such an inconvenience. There is also a bike rack, but bicyclists get pissed when I lock it to it and it is also right next to a walking path next to all the drunks. This curb has really put a damper to my scooting. :evil:
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

A small wedge is all you need to deal with a 6" curb (it only needs to be as wide as your scooter tires). Now, on the other hand, why was the configuration of your new house a complete "surprise"?
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Put a lenghth of 4x4 down because it actually closer to a 3 1/4(ish)per side. Making a 6 " curb 3" steps.
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Finding a place to live around here that doesn't break the bank due to the influx of renters and the rich buying houses left and right make it a difficult task to find affordable housing. However, that is another topic. Long story short, looked at a place once, loved it moved in. Scooter was in the shop for two weeks getting a new clutch cable when I moved. Assumed that I might be able to finagle my way around the curb easily not so much when I brought it home. In retrospect should have thought it over better, but don’t think the girlfriend would be too happy if I based our living upon my scooter. Just wanted to vent a bit, can be remedied with a light ramp. A little annoying process everyday though. Maybe one night a sledgehammer might accidentally hit the curb a few times.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Finding a place to live around here that doesn't break the bank due to the influx of renters and the rich buying houses left and right make it a difficult task to find affordable housing. However, that is another topic. Long story short, looked at a place once, loved it moved in. Scooter was in the shop for two weeks getting a new clutch cable when I moved. Assumed that I might be able to finagle my way around the curb easily not so much when I brought it home. In retrospect should have thought it over better, but don’t think the girlfriend would be too happy if I based our living upon my scooter. Just wanted to vent a bit, can be remedied with a light ramp. A little annoying process everyday though. Maybe one night a sledgehammer might accidentally hit the curb a few times.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Do you have a sidewalk that goes down to the road? See if a concrete guy could put sloped curb down for you where the sidewalk meets the curb. Or you could complain to the city, but don't expect anything to happen quickly. If the city complains about you modifying their curbs (unlikely), just say you need it for your wheelchair-bound grandmother.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

EvilNerdLord wrote:Put a lenghth of 4x4 down because it actually closer to a 3 1/4(ish)per side. Making a 6 " curb 3" steps.
Agree.or a brick.... one 3" curb butted to your 6" curb is a good plan.. youll roll right up and down thise short steps no problem.
Or sledgehammer out a foot of curb and pound down the dirt for a ramp.
Also a great idea...
Good luck and enjoy your new place and the drunks.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

jimmbomb wrote:
EvilNerdLord wrote:Put a lenghth of 4x4 down because it actually closer to a 3 1/4(ish)per side. Making a 6 " curb 3" steps.
Agree.or a brick.... one 3" curb butted to your 6" curb is a good plan.. youll roll right up and down thise short steps no problem.
Or sledgehammer out a foot of curb and pound down the dirt for a ramp.
Also a great idea...
Good luck and enjoy your new place and the drunks.
Through down a hunk of pipe before dirting up the curb so you don't dam the drainage, otherwise you have a bigger problem. I was thinking 2-3' 4x4, lay it down, roll over then stash the wood so no one walks off with it and the landlord can't bitch about damaging the curb.
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
smillerlou

Post by smillerlou »

We use one of these at work to push a cart up 2-3 stairs. It can hold like 300lbs I think

http://tinyurl.com/k6ln2ke
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

smillerlou wrote:We use one of these at work to push a cart up 2-3 stairs. It can hold like 300lbs I think

http://tinyurl.com/k6ln2ke
I think my 4x4 idea would be cheaper.... :shock:
smillerlou

Post by smillerlou »

depends on what kind of wood you are using :P
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

smillerlou wrote:depends on what kind of wood you are using :P
MORNING.....would be my first response if I allowed myself to be crude and brass. :? wait, I am already am....