Just bought a 2009 Buddy 125. Have some questions...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

white94cam

Just bought a 2009 Buddy 125. Have some questions...

Post by white94cam »

As the title states, I just purchased a 2009 Buddy 125. Have a few questions below:

1) Previous owner says he installed an NCY head with oversized valves. I've tried searching but I can't find too many details about this. Any idea where I can learn more about what I have?

2) Previous owner also says it has a "racing clutch and variator." He gave me the box it came in which includes instructions for an NCY Super Transmission Kit (GY6 125/150). What does this kit do for the CVT? He mentioned it may take some top-end speed away but accelerate a bit quicker. I'm going to use the scooter for a 90-mile round trip somewhat regularly, so high MPG and 60ish MPH are my main goals.

3) Previous owner installed some Prima 3.5x10 whitewall tires. Rear needs replacing - front is ok but I'm going to replace both at the same time. I'm looking for an inexpensive, long-lasting tire. The scooter will be used mainly for commuting, so extreme grip/traction (at the expense of longevity) is not needed. I'm also open to different sizes if that is recommended by you guys. Open to input.

4) I've read numerous threads on here about what octane gas to use and the difference between US and non-US octane ratings. Seems like 87 is the consensus - but does the NCY head (referenced in point #1 above) change my octane requirements?

Sorry for the question overload - trying to learn. Thanks in advance!
Dooglas

Re: Just bought a 2009 Buddy 125. Have some questions...

Post by Dooglas »

white94cam wrote:4) I've read numerous threads on here about what octane gas to use and the difference between US and non-US octane ratings. Seems like 87 is the consensus - but does the NCY head (referenced in point #1 above) change my octane requirements?
Genuine's guidance is 89 octane for the 125. Darned if I know what the NCY head might do to compression ratio and preferred octane rating. (if anything, I suspect a performance head would raise the compression ratio and may increase the preferred octane rating)

viewtopic.php?t=26705&highlight=octane
white94cam

Re: Just bought a 2009 Buddy 125. Have some questions...

Post by white94cam »

Dooglas wrote:
white94cam wrote:4) I've read numerous threads on here about what octane gas to use and the difference between US and non-US octane ratings. Seems like 87 is the consensus - but does the NCY head (referenced in point #1 above) change my octane requirements?
Genuine's guidance is 89 octane for the 125. Darned if I know what the NCY head might do to compression ratio and preferred octane rating. (if anything, I suspect a performance head would raise the compression ratio and may increase the preferred octane rating)

viewtopic.php?t=26705&highlight=octane
Dooglas, thanks for the reply. I figure that 91 would be a safe bet since I'm dealing with an unknown compression ratio at this point. For all I know the ratio is unchanged from factory, but I'd rather play it safe.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

1) Previous owner says he installed an NCY head with oversized valves. I've tried searching but I can't find too many details about this. Any idea where I can learn more about what I have?

Not sure about this one. I would suspect oversized valves help the engine to breathe better.

2) Previous owner also says it has a "racing clutch and variator." He gave me the box it came in which includes instructions for an NCY Super Transmission Kit (GY6 125/150). What does this kit do for the CVT? He mentioned it may take some top-end speed away but accelerate a bit quicker. I'm going to use the scooter for a 90-mile round trip somewhat regularly, so high MPG and 60ish MPH are my main goals.

60 mph is ambitious for a Buddy 125. My top speed ever (GPS verified) is 63 mph and the engine sounded like it wanted to explode it was revving so fast. Sustained speed on level ground and calm conditions of 55 is reasonable but that is very near the top end. No idea how your engine will like that with the alterations.

3) Previous owner installed some Prima 3.5x10 whitewall tires. Rear needs replacing - front is ok but I'm going to replace both at the same time. I'm looking for an inexpensive, long-lasting tire. The scooter will be used mainly for commuting, so extreme grip/traction (at the expense of longevity) is not needed. I'm also open to different sizes if that is recommended by you guys. Open to input.

Inexpensive usually does not equate to long lasting. I have Michelins and LOVE them. They cost a little more but the grip is amazing, the ride is smooth and they last. Worth the money in my opinion.

4) I've read numerous threads on here about what octane gas to use and the difference between US and non-US octane ratings. Seems like 87 is the consensus - but does the NCY head (referenced in point #1 above) change my octane requirements?

If your engine compression has been increased from stock you may require a higher octane, I suspect not though.

Gotta go and help with dinner now.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

gr8dog wrote:3) Previous owner installed some Prima 3.5x10 whitewall tires. Rear needs replacing - front is ok but I'm going to replace both at the same time. I'm looking for an inexpensive, long-lasting tire. The scooter will be used mainly for commuting, so extreme grip/traction (at the expense of longevity) is not needed. I'm also open to different sizes if that is recommended by you guys. Open to input.

Inexpensive usually does not equate to long lasting. I have Michelins and LOVE them. They cost a little more but the grip is amazing, the ride is smooth and they last. Worth the money in my opinion.
I'm a big fan of the Michelin S1 grippy, long lasting, and they are fairly inexpensive, can be found for $35-$37.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

scootERIK wrote:
gr8dog wrote:3) Previous owner installed some Prima 3.5x10 whitewall tires. Rear needs replacing - front is ok but I'm going to replace both at the same time. I'm looking for an inexpensive, long-lasting tire. The scooter will be used mainly for commuting, so extreme grip/traction (at the expense of longevity) is not needed. I'm also open to different sizes if that is recommended by you guys. Open to input.

I'm a big fan of the Michelin S1 grippy, long lasting, and they are fairly inexpensive, can be found for $35-$37.
Do yourself a favor and get Heidenau K61's. Here is the best supplier I have found.

http://www.motorcycletiresmaniac.com/
white94cam

Post by white94cam »

KrispyKreme wrote:
scootERIK wrote:

Do yourself a favor and get Heidenau K61's. Here is the best supplier I have found.

Krispy - should I go 3.5x10 or is there another preferred size on the Buddy 125?
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

white94cam wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:
scootERIK wrote: I'm a big fan of the Michelin S1 grippy, long lasting, and they are fairly inexpensive, can be found for $35-$37.

Krispy - should I go 3.5x10 or is there another preferred size on the Buddy 125?
I think 3.5s work but I always go 100/90-10. :)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I'm quite satisfied with 3.50x10 Continental Zippy 1's on mine.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

The ncy head has a larger combustion chamber than stock it will lower combustion on an otherwise stock 125. If the po used the 10 gram rollers supplied by ncy you will most likely need to use a set of 11 grams or higher to get top speed out of the bike. I'd recommend a trailtech tto cht gauge to monitor engine temps for running at extended high speeds. I love the grip of my heidenau k61 but something nobody ever talks about is how heavy they are. They are at least double the weight of the stock tires. This will reduce your top speed slightly.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
white94cam

Post by white94cam »

lovemysan wrote:The ncy head has a larger combustion chamber than stock it will lower combustion on an otherwise stock 125. If the po used the 10 gram rollers supplied by ncy you will most likely need to use a set of 11 grams or higher to get top speed out of the bike. I'd recommend a trailtech tto cht gauge to monitor engine temps for running at extended high speeds. I love the grip of my heidenau k61 but something nobody ever talks about is how heavy they are. They are at least double the weight of the stock tires. This will reduce your top speed slightly.
Do you have a link to the specific product you're referring to? There are several models on the Trailtech site (radiator hose, spark plug, etc.).
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Tires -- save yourself some dough

Can't go wrong with Michelin S1 or Continental Zippy. About $10-15 cheaper per tire than the Heidenau, and they last longer due to harder compound. I prefer the S1 but that's 'cos I like the profile better than the Conti.

There's also no reason to change the front tire if it's got good tread and no rot. I still have the original Maxxis whitewall front tire on my 2008 Buddy 150; I'm about halfway through my second replacement S1 at 16,000 miles (that's 3 rear tires total at that mileage, including the original). I ride in rain and snow, and have had no problems with tread pattern differential.

Research pricing online, but give your local shop a shot at getting close to the same price. That's what I do with my motorcycles as I prefer my shop stay in business.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

You need the trailtech tto cht with 10mm spark plug adaptor . http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0031BNYY ... 15&simLd=1
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.