New Buddy got knocked over

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

awscootscoot

New Buddy got knocked over

Post by awscootscoot »

I'm the proud new owner of a buddy 170i which I've had for about a month now (formerly owned a 2t stella)!
I went home for the weekend and returned to find my beloved scoot laying down on the street where it was parked after apparently being hit by a careless driver. :(

I had a cover on the scoot which luckily saved any cosmetic damage to the body panels. The only damage that is immediately visible is that the left side of the handlebars are bent backwards and downwards so that the mirror is angled back towards the seat somewhat and the rear brake lever is now rubbing against the top handlebar cover.

I'm looking for advice as to where I can order a replacement set of bars. I'm fairly good with a set of tools and feel like I can handle the repair myself, but I'm wondering if I should just take it back to my dealer? Also, I'm sure the repair will cost less than my deductible, but do you guys think I should report it to my insurance anyway?

Thanks in advance for the help guys. Needless to say I'm pretty upset/frustrated and just want to get my buddy back on the road.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Oooh, it stinks to find your scoot taking a nap in the road. Just a thought here, when you parked it was it on the center stand or the side stand? The side stand is practically useless, with a cover on a stiff wind from the back is enough to push it forward off that stand. I just bring this up as a cautionary tale to everyone, it happened to me with the scoot idling. Haven't used the side stand since.
With your handlebars bent it sounds like a pretty intense impact. You could probably get the parts from your dealer.
awscootscoot

Post by awscootscoot »

yeah it was on the center stand. I was honestly expecting more damage too but I suppose i got lucky all things considered. I always lock my handlebars so I think the left hand mirror took the impact which tweaked the bars
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Sorry to hear about your scooter. I'm sure your dealer could get you handlebars, but you may find them here cheaper. I would give them a call.

http://www.scooterworks.com/
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Wow, It's got to take a lot of force to bend the handlebar. I'd be worried about damage to the axle spline. Consider removing the head cover and inspecting things closely.

Changing it is a bit of a pain, but can be done in an afternoon with basic tools. Scooterworks can get you the right part(s) if you call them.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

This is why I always park at the bike rack or on the sidewalk or alongside a building.

Never beside cars or in parking space.

Sorry for your trouble!

:cry: :(
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com