Trike conversion for Buddy 125...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sc00ter

Trike conversion for Buddy 125...

Post by sc00ter »

Finally came in the mail. Went to install it and ran into a problem. Have any of you had the rear rack break and snap or bend that center support stud that pokes up thru the rear panels (above the tail light)? Thats the rear anchor point for the kit, and this support bracket must be wrong, as it sits on that stud at a 40degree angle and binds. I know if I tighten it right now it will snap the bolt, and even if I did get it to sit flush would it be safe? I basically bought a China trike that is broken down-as both are the same price. Waiting for a response since Tow-Pac is not open weekends. Im hoping for a happy ending or a refund. Keep you all posted.
Last edited by sc00ter on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

sc00ter wrote:I basically bought a China trike that is broken down-as both are the same price.
What is the connection between this and installing a Tow-pac kit on a 125 Buddy? Regarding the attachment point for the rear rack, there is no center support that protrudes up through the rear panel. The center support on the rear rack is bolted downward through a hole in the panel. It threads into an attachment point on the frame.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I have been communicating with Tow Pac about getting one and so far as I know they do not make one for the Buddy line. The do make one for the TGB laser 150 but at the moment I have a side car on my Laser. I would get one for my 170i if they made one for it.
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

We paid $200 for Tow-Pac to rent a Buddy 125 so they can use it to mock up the kit. They took pictures of a Buddy 125 but none showed the kit being installed on the scoot. Just static pictures with arrows added instead of the kit. They told my wife that they already done a 50cc Buddy, but the frame mounts were not the same, hence the $200 rental fee for a 125. I hope I just got the wrong brace bar (item "D" in the instructions) and we can get this right. Wife is more disappointed than mad right now, and their customer service will determine the final outcome. I do have a friend that has a 50cc, and Im sure I can borrow it and see if the kit fits her Buddy50-just to confirm my suspicion. We shall wait and see......
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Wow those replies are all over the place. I am so confused at this point I don't know if the conversion is for a Buddy 50, Buddy 125 or some off brand China scoot :roll: .
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I ordered the kit for a Buddy 125. Tow-Pac had already done one for a Buddy 50cc, but said the frames are different, which they are, so we had to pay the rental fee for them to get a 125 for the mock up. The reference to a china trike is because the kit alone is same price as a china trike (IceBear), and between the two options converting the Buddy 125 was the most reliable option. We ride our scoots, they dont sit around. But after recieving the kit, I think Tow-Pac sent me the kit for a 50cc, because the rear bracket mounting is so wrong. Yes, Im getting confused also. Tow-Pac did call me back but a game of phone tag ensued.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Tow-Pac was supposed to call me back at 10am (11am our time) today, the 20th. No call back?! If you have a technical problem you always seem to get a answering machine, never a live person. I have no idea how many kits they have sold, or why a $1579 MicroMini kit is less important than a kit for a Goldwing, but this is not good business. So if you are thinking about getting one of these kits for your Buddy, or any other brand scooter, see what my final outcome will be first. Now my wife is mad, since she paid for the kit out of her vacation stash. Will keep you all posted.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I take it that they were special making a kit for you. I have never delt with them by phone but they responded to my emails in a prompt manner( I have a cochlear implant and don't do well on the phone) They do list the micro mini for the TGB R9i Lazor. Sorry you are having a bad time with them, it is a good warning for us. :(
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Finally called me back, made me learn how to use my smart phone. Phone makes me look like a idiot! Anyways, hoping for a solution. The kit is actually pretty nice, and seems rather sturdy. Also, our $200 fee now makes one for a Buddy 125. Wish us luck with our prodject......
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Good deal!!!! Wish you a lot of good miles on your Buddy 125. Wonder of the 125 and the 170i frames are the same. If so then they can make a TowPac unit for the Buddy line. I would go for one for my 170i. Once it is completed give us photos and your opinion. : :wink:
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Wolfhound wrote:Good deal!!!! Wonder of the 125 and the 170i frames are the same.

Without knowing for sure I am going to bet they are the same.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

KK, me too. PGo appears to use a standardized frame for the 125,m 150 and, I hope , the 170i.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Floyd Grimm of Vespa Marietta tells me that so far as he knows the 125,150,and 170i all use the same frame. He is also my Genuine dealer.
:D
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I now have an inquiry emailed to TowPac asking if they can make one for the Buddy 170i. The frames for all three Buddys are the same so lets see what they say. I want to see how the installation goes on the 125 (pix please) and if he is satisfied with the results before I commit myself to
buying one assuming that TowPac can make it.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Still no solution as to why bracket "D" does not sit flush/binds on the rear rack support stud. Told me to try everything I have already tried. They also told me they did mock it up on a Buddy 125 before shipping it but the photos with the steps being taken with the kit being installed on the rental scoot got deleted, hence why I got a static shot with arrows on it instead. Person I'm talking to on the phone is not the guy who built the kit, but the guy on the phone did see it mocked up on the rental scoot. So still sitting in the garage waiting. Have a friend that has a PhD in Mechanical Engineering who offered to take a look, and he has a love for two wheelers. Maybe its time I learned how to post photos.....
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Dianne at TowPac told me, by email, that they now make a unit for the 5o and125. But they would have to rent a 170i to design it. $200.00 deposit that will be deducted from the cost of the unit if I buy it. IF I do I will tell
her that I want pictures of the installation dine on the rental unit so that I
and my Dealer/riding friend can install it.
Keep us posted on this. :) :)
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Scooter, avoid IceBear at all costs. I have had one and my dealer has one of the 09 models, lots of tranny problems. The IceBear regular scoots seem to be much better quality. :roll:
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I know all about the IceBear transmissions, thats why we went with a Tow-Pac. Buddy scooters are tanks! If you, or anyone else, wants to give me the basic instructions on how to post pics (thru PhotoBucket?) PM me and I will figure it out this weekend. Im OLDschool, so this new technolligy kinda boggles my mind.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I am older school than you. !!! I don't know how to post pix and am waiting for my wife to have time to teach me!!!! :lol:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Well, I have bit the bullet. After talking to Dianne online and to Jeremie
I am placing my order for a MicroMini set up on Monday. They first thought
that the Micro might not work and I might have to upgrade to a more expensive unit, an idea that I declined. Jeremie got ahold of a 170i and
got back to me the same day to let me know that the Micro would work.
So far communications with TowPac have been spot on. I would guess that they are going to offer TowPacs for the Buddy line in the future.
My bum knees have finally dictated that I need 3 wheels, not 2.
Post pix ScOOter and tell us what you think of the setup. I will try to
learn how to post pics also--maybe an old dog can be taught new tricks! :wink:
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Curious to know if yours will fit or are you going to have to modify yours. We still have no solution to bracket D not fitting. Wife is getting over it very quickly, and we will never buy another Tow-Pac product again. I have the "Quick to sell/slow to fix" impression. IF this other solution works, then good-but it should have been done correct the first time. I do have the 50cc Buddy ready for a test fit if needed, because I still think I got the wrong kit shipped to me. Will update status when I feel like messing with it.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Wont know til we get it. If it is a bad fit and they don't cooperate then it is a trip to IL., and I need to get away from my routine for a couple of days.
So far they are easy to get ahold of an responsive. :ninja:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

scOOter, as I said before, my Genuine dealer in Marietta, GA says that all
3 frames are the same. Wish I could be of help to you on this one.
Did your friend get a chance to look at it?
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

No, Mr. PHD is busy at the moment-BUT we (wife and I) got it installed. Still fine tuning everything and getting ready for shake down runs. Still have a bad taste from it not fitting correct, we had to rig the kit together! Gonna try and post pics, and see if you have a better result with this elusive Bracket D. As usual, keep ya posted!
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

sc00ter wrote:No, Mr. PHD is busy at the moment-BUT we (wife and I) got it installed. Still fine tuning everything and getting ready for shake down runs. Still have a bad taste from it not fitting correct, we had to rig the kit together! Gonna try and post pics, and see if you have a better result with this elusive Bracket D. As usual, keep ya posted!
Go with God, and set the Buddy free........
Attachments
untitled.png
untitled.png (97.56 KiB) Viewed 2240 times
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

ScOOter, glad you finally got it done. Did you actually use the elusive bracket D? I am hoping that it handles to suit you. As for pix, if my wife ever has time(she is a really hard working person) I am going to learn how as it is becoming more and more necessary skill. I have already stressed to
TowPac that I will expect clear instructions on the installation. I have a friend who does my mechanical work for me in return for my boarding his 2 dogs and 2 cats when he and his wife travel. We will keep all posted as we
go thru the process of placing the order and installation.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Scooter if you have a smart phone you can text the pictures to me and I'll post them for you. Another easy way is to post them to facebook and link them in as images. Pm me your number if you like.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

scOOter, I assume that you had to remove body panels to connect to the frame. Am I correct and if so which ones :?:
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Wow, it is amazing how fast the anger left my wifes body/mind once we got the kit installed! Oh, and KrispyK-that was FUNNY!!!! My wife LOVES the kit and no longer has any concern of its "final" assembly outcome. Getting pics up ASAP, been busy finding out how to dispose of the old hobby car we have. Im making her take the MSF Trike/sidecar safety course first, heck-if we can share the Buddy I will take it to. Trikes are strange compared to two wheels, but Im learning to adapt. NOTHING is as scary as the URAL sidecar I got to ride for a day! Shakedown/adjustment runs to work (20 miles each way) for now-if I cant break it all is safe! Oh, and you have to use bracket D. It is not pictured in the photos 'cause its kinda ugly. And no removing panels or cutting/modding reqired. I can un-install it in 20mins if needed, and re-install just as easy.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Mine should be ready to ship on 9/19. Probably will have to go to the truck terminal as my drive is too steep for an 18 wheeler to get up and that is what the carrier uses up in my area.. Not a biggie, just normal problems
to work out. :lol:
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Ours shipped thru Old Dominoin Trucking. The terminal from O.D. will call and tell you a time window, but my kit came in a box truck, not a tractor/trailer. Be warned, the box is huge-but not super heavy. I stood it on its side and moved it with a dolly. When I get around to it I will let you know all the wrench sizes you will need, and whatever else "surprise wise" I can think of. We trike guys need to stick together. Oh, and the kit will bring weirdos out of the woodwork asking questions!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Thanks, ScOOter. I have a bike trailer, 6x8 flatbed scooter hauler and a
Nisson HD3500 van with a 6'3" ceiling height and I can meet them nearby
if I know when they will be delivering. My scooter dealer/riding pal will be doing the wrenching
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

sc00ter wrote:Trikes are strange compared to two wheels, but Im learning to adapt. NOTHING is as scary as the URAL sidecar I got to ride for a day!
Scary? I've put a bunch of miles on a Ural and scary is not a word that has come to mind. You do have to relearn to ride with a sidecar rig, but I would say the same about a trike.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Would love a Ural rig but neuropathy makes it a bit difficult. That said my
TGB R9 Lazer /Cozy sidecar rig lets me have some fun with a hack. A hack takes a little getting used to and, like a trike, you drive it, not ride it. I have also had an IckyBear trike so I have ridden both and both take a little on- road experience. So I agree with Dooglas :wink:
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Gentlemen, please don't forget to post pictures when you can. I'm wanting to see the final products.
(Yes, I know that's difficult for us 'old guys', I needed help learning how as well...)
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Mine will be delivered around 9/19 and I will take lots of pix, hope my wife can teach me how to post them. :lol:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Tow Pac has been excellent in sending me info and in answering my questions. Dianne and Jeremie have understood my hearing problem on the phone and for the most part have emailed me. We have worked out the delivery problem. For $25.00 extra Old Dominion will send the order to my house by a straight truck with a lift gate. If all goes well I should have the trike kit between the dates of 9/22-9/25. :D
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

scOOter, are you still happy with your towPac trike attachment?? I am looking forward to getting mine around the 25th. :wink:
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

So far, so good. I emailed them for a "suggested" wheel height/traction adjuster setting-since mine had to be rigged. Still working on pics. My wife is getting better on it, and actually getting comfy with turns. I was going to take the MSF trike course this month but something came up, so next month I hope. The kit did not affect the scoots gas milage or speed at all! Get the BIG rotor kit, the weight does afffect the brakes a bit. Whats funny is a Leahman triked Burgman 400 just came up on our local C-list, but we are both happy with the Buddy right now! Start small! What does stink is my wife works 80 miles-each way-and has little time to ride it. Going out riding at night and every other weekend. And no, she cant take the Buddy to work! All interstate roads! I NEED TO POST PICS!!!! Im un-tech savy!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Thanks, Scooter. I think that the 170i has the bigger rotor. Good to know that speed and gas milage was not hurt. Personally I would not ride the interstates with a Hardley Davidson!!! :wink:
What are you riding??
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

After a year with our Tow Pac installed on the Buddy 125 it (Buddy) will soon be free! We keep having random bolts snap on the Tow Pac without warning and we feel it is no longer safe. Wife still has the Can Am Spyder but she will miss the easy to ride convenience of the small Buddy. Oh well, great idea-poorly executed-just sucks it was so expensive to experience Tow Pac quality first hand.
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

Did you let Tow Pac know about the hardware issues? If the fasteners they provide are breaking on a regular basis, that could put them in a very bad position in today's litigious society.

Something as simple as choosing a different grade of hardware combined with careful attention to torque values (or adding loctite or nord-lock washers to all fasteners) during assembly might solve the problem and allow you to keep enjoying the Buddy Trike.

I am actually somewhat surprised that Genuine hasn't offered a trike model of their own. There are lots of folks who can't ride a normal scooter who could still do quite well on a small trike. The 170i seems like a great engine choice to power a trike as well.

Icebear has come a long way in the last 2-3 years and makes a pretty decent quality product these days. They are still a long way from being the in the same league as Genuine, but with a good pre-delivery inspection and routine maintenance, people are seeing good reliability from the latest generation of their trikes at an affordable price.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I agree VW that Genuine should bring the trike they sell overseas, but Im sure there is a reason (price?). I still dont trust Ice Bear, remember that we had a Qlink-the BEST made Chinese scooter-and it just fell apart, and I still see people pushing Ice Bear scooters to the shop when they break down (have 2 dealers near by selling the trikes). The Tow Pac was never right to begin with, and their customer service leaves alot to be desired. The Shriners insisted I bring it to every car/bike show they had last year and park it by the main gate with a "Look at my quality kit!" sign, so I did alot of negative advertising for Tow Pac. Also, Cycle Gear let me park it at every Bike Night with the same sign. Our local Honda motorcycle dealership said Tow Pac kits fall apart when they did the inspection, and they were correct. Seems they would know since they have been in business since the 70's with the same service tech's. Fun while it lasted I guess, just started to turn into a China scooter because we were afraid to take it to far from the house! Now its FREE, to be a reliable Buddy again!