Cold Start - Engine Racing

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RoaringTodd

Cold Start - Engine Racing

Post by RoaringTodd »

Good Morning Stellaland.

I started up my Margs, this morning for a ride to work. It was a little brisk outside, the coolest I have ridden Margs since I've gotten her.

Keep in mind I rode her all across the Pennsylvania countryside the first two weekends of August going to different rallies. Never had a problem with her. She ran beautifully.

This morning, after she was started up, I rode her a few blocks to the stop sign. Engine revved higher than normal. At about 3000-4000 rpms according to my tach. Difficulty shifting.

Had the same symptoms all the way to work, which is approximately 2 miles from my house.

When pulling in the clutch, I noticed engine revving high. She also didn't shift as smoothly from gear to gear, especially when I was slowing down to a stop.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Sounds like an air leak to me. I would start with the easy things. Retorque the head bolts, make sure the carb is set down and sealed properly. You can spray a little carb cleaner around the carb and it can give you an indication if that is where the leak is.

Give those things a try and let us know. Just be careful riding it. The high rev air leak means it's running very lean so very hot.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Thanks for the reply - will check that out when I have time. The bellow rubber is cracked - does that have any affect? It's been cracked since I got her however never had a problem till now.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

The cracked bellows isn't going to make a difference except to possibly allow a little more dust. The air intake is under the seat through the body and into the bellows

As long as your checking the carb I would pull the jets and blast them with carb cleaner. It could be a little blockage.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Any progress? Or are you too busy with work like I am to take care of the important things...like scooters :mrgreen:
www.teamscootertrash.com

RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I haven't had a chance to open her up. ( wife, 3 kids, football, church, job, blah blah) but on a lark I decided to try again and take old Margs out to ride to work. Wouldn't you know it.. no problems.

Something must have been catching or an elf fixed it while I slept.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

RoaringTodd wrote:I haven't had a chance to open her up. ( wife, 3 kids, football, church, job, blah blah) but on a lark I decided to try again and take old Margs out to ride to work. Wouldn't you know it.. no problems.

Something must have been catching or an elf fixed it while I slept.
Nice!

Don't ya hate it when life gets in the way of scooters! :mrgreen:

May have been a little piece of garf in one of the jets that worked loose and cleared things up. Might want to at least pull the jets and hit them with some carb cleaner...when you have a chance!
www.teamscootertrash.com

Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I had this one time and it turned out that the throttle cable had rusted and started to break near the carb. It was an exciting ride that last time before I replaced that cable.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com