so, backpacks.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

libwitch

so, backpacks.

Post by libwitch »

I use my scooter to commute to and from work and some days it I am pretty loaded down (I am librarian, and I some days I not only work between two campus, but then have to run off to a public library, too). So I use my underseat storage, top case and backpack (which tends to be useful for papers and laptop, etc)

My helmet is black and and hi-vis pink. Most of my riding gear is black or gray. And I ride a St Tropaz. So with a red backpack and I very colorful.

I don't mind colorful, but I think I would like to match a bit more, but still focus on visible. And I think a bright pink backpack will be great for visibility.

So: in short - has anyone seen a good line on a bright pink (think more purple pink/fuschia pink not bubble gum backpacks) that might be scoot worthy? What I am finding is more for a 12 YO school girl and...well since I will be taking this into work with me, I have draw the line somewhere.

And my line is apparently pink is fine, but Hello Kitty is questionable. For me, anyway.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I just Googled "hot pink backpack" and came up with a bunch.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
libwitch

Post by libwitch »

..and "just google it" Not really helpful. The problem isn't finding pink backpacks. The problem is that that type of search brings up kid backpacks and or incredibly poor quality backpacks that fall apart pretty quickly and not is not useful for hauling material back and forth for any length of time.

Trying to find higher quality packs that are not for 5 year olds - or better yet, packs that are good for motorcycles - in a dark pink does not work well with a google search. Or even by going to sites that sell motorcycle gear or camping/backgear.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Well, if you can't research it on the internet that way, I don't have any suggestions.

I doubt very many posters will come along here and say that they have the perfect pick back pack to recommend.

I have found 95% of my gear on-line by researching and reading reviews.

Actually, I saw some nice looking packs while Googling and they did not look "kid like" either.

Anyway, good luck to you.

:P
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Godio13

Post by Godio13 »

Try ebags.com. I love that place.
bluebessie

Post by bluebessie »

I would suggest ebags as well. I'm a fan of North Face items, and saw this one on ebags

http://www.ebags.com/product/the-north- ... d=10310495

Then saw these as well

http://www.ebags.com/product/calpak/imp ... id=1253753

http://www.ebags.com/product/kelty/kelt ... d=10262687

http://www.ebags.com/product/high-sierr ... d=10305524

and a whole bunch more...
http://www.ebags.com/search/dept/backpa ... n=left_nav

The cool thing with ebags is you can search by women's backpacks and then pink to help filter out some. Though quite a few looked rather childish, there were some options at least in one easy place to shop. I have an Amex and get free shipping through Shopprunner.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I have no leads on pink gear, but I have a suggestion that might help by expanding your search a bit: Consider an over-the-shoulder bag. One advantage they have over backpacks is that you can rest it on the seat behind you, which allows you to load it up with heavier stuff than you'd want to carry (for very long) on your back. The one I use as my everyday tote most definitely does not come in pink (or any other hi-viz color), but it's a good example of what I'm talking about.
Slam

Post by Slam »

I discovered this morning that my messenger bag connects perfectly to the hook, and rests on the floorboard. I have to slip my feet beneath it, but no biggie. It's more comfortable than letting it hang off to the side, or balance/rest on the seat behind me.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

http://www.timbuk2.com/customizer#/prod ... /customize

They have a "raspberry" color and reflective binding.

EDIT: But that North Face one is pretty spiffy too.
Last edited by ravenlore on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KrispyKreme

Messenger bag.

Post by KrispyKreme »

silvertiger

Patagonia cascada

Post by silvertiger »

I actually have a pinky raspberry backpack:

Patagonia cascada
http://wantshoes.info/product.php?Prod=13081-JF0

It has a laptop sleeve in the main compartment, a secondary compartment with lots of little pockets. I can cram quite a bit into it and I've been happy with it. Make sure you adjust the straps otherwise they sit funny on your shoulders. One caveat is that I'm only 5', so if you're alot bigger than that you might want to get a larger backpack.

Patagonia usually has some neon blue backpacks too, so you can try looking there.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

check out the high quality womens line at OGIO. i have an OGIO Clutch BP and it is durable with a 25 year warranty. there is a pink one right on the page. its $80 there and at Amazon but can be had for $60 at the second link as of right now

http://ogio.com/women-s

http://www.staples.com/OGIO-SOHO-Womens ... sc_content

more good pink

http://www.6pm.com/burton-wms-day-hiker ... hsia-block

http://www.6pm.com/vera-bradley-laptop- ... ulep-tulip

http://www.6pm.com/adidas-elevate-print ... lar-yellow
Riding is riding
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

You might also want to check out LL Bean - their deluxe backpacks have a huge reflective strip across the back, and they're also water resistant which is nice.
addict42

+1 on TimBuk2

Post by addict42 »

I used a medium Timbul2 messenger bag (in bright, reflective orange) for commuting to and from school (by bicycle) for several years without issue. Years later, I still have the bag and it is in great shape after hauling textbooks back and forth over an 11-mile commute. I still use it for errands and haven't really noticed any wear. The tarp material they use to line the bags is very durable and water resistant.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I used to use messenger bags but switched to a backpack because the messengers were giving me problems and aches on the Stella.

I'll also vouch for the quality of Ogio and Timbuk 2. Until recently, an Ogio Fugitive was my favorite backpack ever.

Now, I use an Osprey backpack and a hydration pack. They're amazing. Lifetime warranty. (They replaced a buckle I snapped, no questions asked.) Roomy, well-built and comfortable. It would take a lot to get me to buy another brand now.

But… no pink.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Godio13

Re: so, backpacks.

Post by Godio13 »

libwitch wrote:I use my scooter to commute to and from work and some days it I am pretty loaded down (I am librarian, and I some days I not only work between two campus, but then have to run off to a public library, too). So I use my underseat storage, top case and backpack (which tends to be useful for papers and laptop, etc)

My helmet is black and and hi-vis pink. Most of my riding gear is black or gray. And I ride a St Tropaz. So with a red backpack and I very colorful.

I don't mind colorful, but I think I would like to match a bit more, but still focus on visible. And I think a bright pink backpack will be great for visibility.

So: in short - has anyone seen a good line on a bright pink (think more purple pink/fuschia pink not bubble gum backpacks) that might be scoot worthy? What I am finding is more for a 12 YO school girl and...well since I will be taking this into work with me, I have draw the line somewhere.

And my line is apparently pink is fine, but Hello Kitty is questionable. For me, anyway.
I bought this, and have never recevied more compliments. It doubles as a shoulder bag and a backpack. I was sick of coming to work (at a college) looking like a college student and wanted something a little more sophisticated. Something that I can ride with, but also walk into the office with. It holds my clothes, luch and laptop. It's GREAT;
http://www.ebags.com/product/overland-e ... d=10155743

I have it in light blue and it's beautiful and really comfortable!
Attachments
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (34.18 KiB) Viewed 5713 times
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (27.07 KiB) Viewed 5713 times
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (27.99 KiB) Viewed 5713 times
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I have a timbuk2 that I special ordered, and got it in the Italian tri-colors, but when I used it, everyone thought it was the Mexican flag colors. They both happen to be green-white-red. Living in CA ya know. The thing is incredibly well built, but it's just one big compartment (except for some small zip compartment on the inside/back) and so everything you put in it just kind of devolves down into a big blob of stuff. You can get your bag built in whatever color you want, but get a bag that has some compartments if you don't like fishing around to find a certain object of need. If you do special order them, I believe they're all made in SF USA, so if that means anything to ya. I have a nice computer bag from them as well, but it's made in Vietnam. But timbuk2 has some quality kit and if you're going to be using it day in and day out, might as well spend the extra $50 or so and get something that will hold up from daily use.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Rhuebott5947

Post by Rhuebott5947 »

While I was Bicycling to work I stopped by Gander Mountain and Picked up two visibility strips that Clip to my Backpack. They Light up and flash if you want them too. Great buy for saving my backside on night rides. Very visible. I think they were about 20 a piece. If I find a link to them I'll post it.
Ninjasurfergirl

Post by Ninjasurfergirl »

I use a purple north face that has reflective stripes on it. Straps all around the body to take some of the pressure off your shoulders and so it doesn't move around.
libwitch

Post by libwitch »

Thanks everyone - some of these brands I have never heard of and are really nice. And I could easily replace my non-scoot work bag with some of these too, which is probably not good...

since now I have to replace my scoot battery over the winter. Gah.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I just checked timbuk2's site and the bag that I have is no longer available (at all), and it seems they only have 1 backpack that is customizable, so my post is now irrelevant.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

rsrider wrote:I have a timbuk2 that I special ordered, and got it in the Italian tri-colors, but when I used it, everyone thought it was the Mexican flag colors.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Vism tactical backpacks:

rsrider

Post by rsrider »

KrispyKreme wrote:
rsrider wrote:I have a timbuk2 that I special ordered, and got it in the Italian tri-colors, but when I used it, everyone thought it was the Mexican flag colors.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
schadenfreude much? hahaha

srsly, look at this thing:

It's a freakin awesome backback, and it's HUGE. yeah, that's a chair it's hanging off of. It's practically brand new........... :(