New member here, this place is great!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RiderK

New member here, this place is great!

Post by RiderK »

Hello all. I wanted to drop in and say hello and introduce myself. My name is Kevin and I've been riding motorcycles and basically anything with a motor since I was a young teenager. I've owned and ridden 200 horsepower bikes and I'm now enjoying the scooters even more then the big bikes. I'm an absolute two stroke fanatic (hence the reason for the Rattler 110). Don't get me wrong though, I love the 4 strokers as well. But there's just something raw and natural with a two stroke that can't be replaced, for me that is. I've been a member of zumaforums for about a year and I've seen some familiar names on this site. Anyway, I wanted to say hello and send my appreciation for this forum and the people that share their passions, knowledge, comradery, and help to all of us. Anyway, is there anyone near the west side of Indianapolis around here? My motorcycle riding buddies just can't or won't get in to the scooter world with me and I need some local riders to ride with. Thanks and have a good one.
skipper20

Re: New member her, this place is great!

Post by skipper20 »

RiderK wrote:Hello all. I wanted to drop in and say hello and introduce myself. My name is Kevin and I've been riding motorcycles and basically anything with a motor since I was a young teenager. I've owned and ridden 200 horsepower bikes and I'm now enjoying the scooters even more then the big bikes. I'm an absolute two stroke fanatic (hence the reason for the Rattler 110). Don't get me wrong though, I love the 4 strokers as well. But there's just something raw and natural with a two stroke that can't be replaced, for me that is. I've been a member of zumaforums for about a year and I've seen some familiar names on this site. Anyway, I wanted to say hello and send my appreciation for this forum and the people that share their passions, knowledge, comradery, and help to all of us. Anyway, is there anyone near the west side of Indianapolis around here? My motorcycle riding buddies just can't or won't get in to the scooter world with me and I need some local riders to ride with. Thanks and have a good one.
Welcome aboard Kevin. You've definitely found the right place to share and explore your scooter passion whether it's 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I live just south of Seattle and right now I'm looking out the window at a bright sunny day with temps expected to be in the high 70s. About as perfect a scooter day as you could possibly get. Will I ride today? Absolutely.

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Welcome to MB! When people ask me why I ride scooters the answer is usually that they are just more fun for me!

You ride by on a scooter and people smile and the little kids wave.

I've ridden a Buck 10 and it was a blast! One warning about 2T scooters...they can be addictive! A year from now you will be riding a Vintage Vespa and on the hunt for a Lambretta!

Over June 11-14 you will have more riding friends than you can imagine!

If you want to meet people and get involved I would suggest contacting the Indy Scooter Club or VCOA organizers. And no...you do not need to own a Vespa to attend and have a blast!

I'll see you there!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Amerivespa/201526976158

"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

This is a very well informed and civilized forum. Welcome aboard.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

BuddyRaton wrote:I've ridden a Buck 10 and it was a blast! One warning about 2T scooters...they can be addictive! A year from now you will be riding a Vintage Vespa and on the hunt for a Lambretta!
Now now, don't be confusing scooter enthusiasts with Jaguar owners. People don't buy Lambrettas if they actually plan on riding anywhere. :wink:

Welcome Kevin, I have an '02 Zuma myself and it is a neat bike. 2Ts are a lot of fun and a properly-tuned one is a flat-out hoot.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Welcome, Kevin. This is just about the best and friendly scoot forum around.
Good people here. :)
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
RiderK

Post by RiderK »

Wow, well thank you all for such a warm welcome. And yes, 2t bikes are beyond addictive. My Zuma is in the process of being customized at the moment. The Rattler smoked a clutch and is waiting for UPS to arrive with it's resurrection. So the Roughhouse is getting all of the attention for the moment. It has a Malossi 70cc sport kit, 85 main jet, and an NCY Super Tramsmission kit (which rocks). Anyway, thank you all for the warm welcome and I look forward to more interaction and scooter talk. The 500 track is housing a scooter meet? That's only ten minutes from my driveway. Looks like I need to check that one out. Anybody else going?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Amerivespa is sanctioned by the Vespa Club of America (VCOA) and actually organized and run by local scooter clubs. It is pretty much the largest scooter rally of the year. Getting involved would be a great way to get to know the scooter folks local to you.

Az Lammy like a Jag? So if you need to own 2 Jags...one to drive...one in the shop...it sounds like I NEED another scooter!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Hey Kevin,

Glad to have you aboard here at MB! While not in Indy, I'm based in Bloomington (I'm guessing it's you I've been working with over the phone the last few days), we'd love to have you come on a ride sometime with us!

Over the weekend, part of my task for our local riding club was to find a 50cc friendly route from Bloomington to Indy for Amerivespa, which was a gorgeous and fun ride (to my surprise, since it is Central Indiana :) )In other words, it can be done without having to take 37 or 67!
RiderK

Post by RiderK »

Yalzin wrote:Hey Kevin,

Glad to have you aboard here at MB! While not in Indy, I'm based in Bloomington (I'm guessing it's you I've been working with over the phone the last few days), we'd love to have you come on a ride sometime with us!

Over the weekend, part of my task for our local riding club was to find a 50cc friendly route from Bloomington to Indy for Amerivespa, which was a gorgeous and fun ride (to my surprise, since it is Central Indiana :) )In other words, it can be done without having to take 37 or 67!
Yep, it's me man. The same guy that calls you daily to check on parts. So you've devised a route from Bloomington to Indianapolis without hitting the highways? What course are you taking to do that? Also, have you seen my Dr. Pulley clutch yet? I'm absolutely dying to get the 110 back out.

Oh, and thank you for the warm welcome. It's good to be here.
Last edited by RiderK on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Roughhouse, S6 Sp Pro Mk2, C16 city, Athena full circle, 19 PHBG, Voca cf reeds, S6 TC clutch red spr, Polini vario, NCY tq drvr, premix, Polini tach temp voltage gauge, LEDs all around
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Eagerly awaiting the delivery of the clutch so I can get you out on the Rat!

For those curious, this is the route we took:

http://goo.gl/I1aRHm
RiderK

Post by RiderK »

Damn, that's a hell of a ride man. I may have to use that one to ride my scooter out to the shop. I think it's got enough break in miles on the top end to go for a long cruise.
Last edited by RiderK on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2014 Roughhouse, S6 Sp Pro Mk2, C16 city, Athena full circle, 19 PHBG, Voca cf reeds, S6 TC clutch red spr, Polini vario, NCY tq drvr, premix, Polini tach temp voltage gauge, LEDs all around
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Max Speed Limit we hit was 45mph, so it is good for hitting top end on a 50cc :)

For my Stella, though...
RiderK

Post by RiderK »

BuddyRaton wrote:Welcome to MB! When people ask me why I ride scooters the answer is usually that they are just more fun for me!

You ride by on a scooter and people smile and the little kids wave.

I've ridden a Buck 10 and it was a blast! One warning about 2T scooters...they can be addictive! A year from now you will be riding a Vintage Vespa and on the hunt for a Lambretta!

Over June 11-14 you will have more riding friends than you can imagine!

If you want to meet people and get involved I would suggest contacting the Indy Scooter Club or VCOA organizers. And no...you do not need to own a Vespa to attend and have a blast!

I'll see you there!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Amerivespa/201526976158

And yes a classic Vespa is something I'd love to have. But I've been eyeing the Stella's lately and may need to go that route. I'll just have to go see Bryan at Wicks and coerce him in to a test ride.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

BuddyRaton wrote:Az Lammy like a Jag? So if you need to own 2 Jags...one to drive...one in the shop...it sounds like I NEED another scooter!
Sir, you are an optimist! Belief that the running Jaguar will remain running while the other other Jaguar is in the shop is truly the mark of a positive thinker. :D

Please don't use my logic to justify another scooter purchase, man. It hasn't worked for me and I'm pretty sure that the missus wouldn't forgive me if you told her that I said that another scooter was OK.

Speaking of another scooter, I need to pick up my 4T this week...it's not a habit...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JT2SsWOCoEw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Welcome Kevin! See you at AV 2015!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
RiderK

Post by RiderK »

pugbuddy wrote:Welcome Kevin! See you at AV 2015!
Thanks man, and yes I'll be there. Should I plan in advance to set up a place to camp out at a friends farm? A creek to relax next to and no one would bother us. It's only about 20-25 minutes away from the track.

I meant that as an invitation to everyone that will be traveling to Indy for the AV get together. Or my twin brother would be happy to host a get together at his place. He has a pretty big yard and is always looking for reasons to have cookouts. Just bring camping gear and you must know how to play euchre (or be willing to learn). Just let me know
RiderK

Post by RiderK »

Yalzin wrote:Eagerly awaiting the delivery of the clutch so I can get you out on the Rat!

For those curious, this is the route we took:

http://goo.gl/I1aRHm
Thanks a lot man. Got my Dr. Pulley clutch, new contra spring, drive belt, and 8.5 gram Dr. P slider weights installed. Damn thing takes off like a rocket now. But my variator didn't like the weights after I cleaned it up and installed them. It's as if the the sliding face gets grabby when I push it all the way down until it touched the angled tips of the slider weights. I took it apart again and gave it a quick polishing up but it's gonna need more I think. I can feel it dragging a bit from a dead stop because it's not all the way tucked in to the variator, then I literally feel it clunk in to place (like I hit a small bump with the back tire) then pulls about a 1" wheelie. So if I get bored enough tonight I'll take her back apart and do some serious polishing. Or maybe I should just get a nice new variator :-)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

RiderK wrote:So if I get bored enough tonight I'll take her back apart and do some serious polishing. Or maybe I should just get a nice new variator :-)
Think about trying a Scotch-Brite Heavy Duty Pan Cleaning Pad from Walmart first. It's sure a lot cheaper than a new variator. :wink:
RiderK

Post by RiderK »

Well it was absolutely killing my inside so I got the halogen spotlights kit and went to town. I'm site my neighbors were less then appreciative of me running my air tools bit I got it done and operating smoothly. I used a dremel to polish the slides of the variator, removed and grinded and polished extra clearance on the my long variator face plate slides and got it smoothly finctioning and kicking ass as it should. Also changed the trans oil and quieted it down immensely and dropped a few pounds of air out of the tired. Runs smooth and seemingly flawless now. Just got done and I'm sure my late night repairs weren't exactly enjoyable for the neighbors. But it's done and kicking ass again.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Like to see a picture of halogen light kit and what one you purchased? :D
RiderK

Post by RiderK »

bgwss wrote:Like to see a picture of halogen light kit and what one you purchased? :D
I meant to type that I used the halogen work lights so I could see to work on the bike.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

I just want to see the bike up and running :D
RiderK

Post by RiderK »

Yalzin wrote:I just want to see the bike up and running :D
If I knew how to post a video of it from my iphone directly to here hen I'd show you. It won't even let me post photos. It says empty file every time I try. Works on another forum though.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Try uploading it to Youtube and setting it as unlisted if you don't want others seeing it :)
RiderK

Post by RiderK »

Ya that's an idea man. Let me gear up for the cold and see if I can hold the phone steady enough for at least a halfway descent video.
RiderK

Post by RiderK »

Well, just ordered a stage 1 kit and a malossi variator for the 110. Time for more tuning and adjustment. Can't wait to get my hands on them. Results will be posted as promptly as I can.