Overriding my lights?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GamerMontu

Overriding my lights?

Post by GamerMontu »

I'm new to scooter riding, so I've only now begun to ride at night. Maybe my headlight is fine and I'm just being paranoid, but it seems like even at moderate speeds (30-40 mph) I'm overriding the light. Does anyone else have this problem, or am I just underestimating how good my light is?
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Low beam, high beam or both?

You might need to adjust the angle of the headlight.

Before I adjusted mine I could only see 1 second ahead at 25 mph with the low beam, needless to say I hardly ever turned the highbeam off.
TVB

Post by TVB »

The headlight on the Buddy is ... not very powerful. If I'm in a situation where there are no (or not enough) streetlights, and not a lot of other traffic, I switch the headlight to "high".
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

I replaced the OEM bulb with a PIAA bulb from Amazon. Pricey but worth it--much better illumination at night and very much more visible in daylight.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

The stock bulb the Buddy is sold with should be considered a crime. It is pitiful. I switched to an H4, or is it an H3. Anyway, the lighting distance more than doubled. You can also adjust the angle of the light. At night I keep my bright on all the time. I know, unsafe, right? I don't think so. My single Buddy light is no where near as bright as automobile headlights. I've never had anybody "flash" me to dim my light.
GamerMontu

Post by GamerMontu »

Yes, the high beam is much better, but I didn't want to flash anyone. Glad to know I don't have to worry about that.
bluebessie

Post by bluebessie »

I also ride with my high beam on. I do briefly turn it off at intersections while I am stopped, but most of the time I just use it.

Any good suggestions for replacement bulbs? While it isn't bad on high, I don't feel totally safe going much more than about 35-40 on it at night.
Last edited by bluebessie on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

gr8dog wrote:The stock bulb the Buddy is sold with should be considered a crime. It is pitiful. I switched to an H4, or is it an H3. Anyway, the lighting distance more than doubled. You can also adjust the angle of the light. At night I keep my bright on all the time. I know, unsafe, right? I don't think so. My single Buddy light is no where near as bright as automobile headlights. I've never had anybody "flash" me to dim my light.
Technically, the Buddy uses an HS1 bulb. Similar form factor to an H4 bulb, but current draw is more appropriate for a scooter. I bought a PIAA Plasma GT-X for my Yager in HS1 size. Its a 35W bulb. Surprisingly, my Yager uses a proper H4, which is a 55W bulb.

The HS1 might be better for the Buddy, as the lower power requirement won't tax the electrical system as much and it won't generate as much heat. Don't want to melt a headlamp lens or reflector.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I've been using the PIAA light too. Love it.

My highbeam burned out in July and I;ve been too lazy to replace it, but since it's getting darker I'll be doing that pronto.