Jack rabbit starts?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

theralchico

Jack rabbit starts?

Post by theralchico »

I'm about to hit 20k miles and have noticed over the last 1-2k an increasing penchant for my Buddy to "jackrabbit" when starting from a stop. If I feather the throttle open or rolling at a near stop then accelerate, it generally won't happen. Thoughts on the cause?
DanielDCB

Post by DanielDCB »

I have a Buddy that had that symptom at about 2500. Replacing the gear oil seemed to fix the problem. 1000 miles later all is well. I figure it was low. Sure wish there was a sight or dip stick for it.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Jack rabbit starts? Are you trying to tell me there are other kinds of starts?
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

By jackrabbit do you mean taking off quickly or do you mean it is jerky when you accelerate?

If you mean jerky, when was the last time the CVT was cleaned out and how do the rollers look?
theralchico

Post by theralchico »

It will start moving then jerk forward and accelerate. After that, it is pretty smooth. The trans fluid level is good. About 3000+ miles back the seal on the transmission blew. Per the work order, they changed the rollers while they were in there. How long should those last? Can I check them with out popping off the case?
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Sounds like one of two things:

- Your clutch pads are worn/dirty/glazed.

- You've accumulated a ton of belt dust and crud in the CVT case. That's an easy fix: remove the side cover and blow everything out with compressed air, including in and around the clutch bell. Another method is to start it up, then hold the rear brake tight and crank the throttle a few time. If your clutch pads are glazed or dirty, this sometimes clears the problem up. Just be careful not to release the brake until your engine's back at idle speed otherwise it's bronco-riding time.
theralchico

Post by theralchico »

Bad belt. Tbanks for the input
KrispyKreme

Re: Jack rabbit starts?

Post by KrispyKreme »

theralchico wrote:I'm about to hit 20k miles and have noticed over the last 1-2k an increasing penchant for my Buddy to "jackrabbit" when starting from a stop. If I feather the throttle open or rolling at a near stop then accelerate, it generally won't happen. Thoughts on the cause?
Have you ever thought to do maintenance on it?

"Thoughts of the cause". You.
theralchico

Post by theralchico »

I have to admit I'm not particularly inclined mechanically. I would prefer to do all work on my Buddy but positive I would be over my head quickly. That said my dealer's mechnic seemed throrough and honest so I brought the scooter in every few thousand miles and asked him "anything need to be done? Or deferred go the msintence schedule. Never had any major problems